Cam cleats for jib sheets??

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
I solo a majority of the time on my W27 in the far N.Chesapeake. Rapid changes in wind direction is the norm as well as a lot of short run tracks. While I can cleat/uncleat the sheets pretty rapidly, sometimes it gets a bit fiddly and difficult to do in a timely fashion.
I'm seeking input on pros/cons of using cam cleats vs existing horn cleats. Yor input either way would be appreciated. TIA, Paul

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Cam cleats are your lowest cost and fastest way to release your sheets unless you are willing to pay more for self tailing winches. Interesting thread on cam vs. horn cleats with the majority favoring cam cleats over horn cleats.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For a 27ft boat like the Watkins, the larger cam cleats will work.

CamCleats are a staple for light boats. These boats carry smaller sails and are manageable pulling in the sheet without the aid of a winch.

As you move up in size the crew holding power becomes taxed, especially in strong winds. There are some larger cam cleats. More expensive, but the type I would explore if that is the way you decide . It will be a 'fit on your boat' type of consideration.

Note that with a 200 sqft foresail there is a lot of force being place on the sheet. We use winches to make adjustments. The idea of a "Self Tailing" winch was designed to meet the need you describe. This is especially effective in a stiff breeze.

Feb 1, 2014
I normally fly an 85% jib and have only occasionally run a 110%. I can't truly recall ever needing the winches to trim jib. The cleats I acquired are Harkens, up to 1/2" IIRC. I use 3/8" stay-set as sheets; so it should work then.
I will retain the horns in place, just in case ;) Thier placement doesn't interfere with projected placement of the cams.
I'll try them out and if not suitable, it's just a few more holes to fill on deck. LOL
Thanks

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
Makes total sense. Take a picture of the rig and share. Who knows some one else may want to solo sail and your idea could provide inspiration.
Good luck. :beer:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We used the larger cam cleats on the J24 that carried a 150 pct headsail, no issues. But, the sheet would be coming off wraps on the winch before entering the cam cleat.

Feb 21, 2013
Below is a Watkins 27 with the jib sheet to a winch then to a jam or cam cleat.
1600369934393.png

Oct 22, 2014
Sail SFbay, It looks like the winch is wound top down rather than bottom up. Suspect it would work. Just need to assure you have a fair lead so the line does not back wrap on the winch drum.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For a 27ft boat like the Watkins, the larger cam cleats will work.

CamCleats are a staple for light boats. These boats carry smaller sails and are manageable pulling in the sheet without the aid of a winch.

As you move up in size the crew holding power becomes taxed, especially in strong winds. There are some larger cam cleats. More expensive, but the type I would explore if that is the way you decide . It will be a 'fit on your boat' type of consideration.

Note that with a 200 sqft foresail there is a lot of force being place on the sheet. We use winches to make adjustments. The idea of a "Self Tailing" winch was designed to meet the need you describe. This is especially effective in a stiff breeze.
I'm assuming that on his 27 foot boat, he is wrapping the sheet several times around a winch, trimming, and then locking the tail. For this application almost any size cleat will work. Under tension there is very little load on the tail; the winch is doing all the work.

Feb 21, 2013
Wound top down rather than bottom up looks that way..............if you install a self tailing winch (like the one shown below in in the youtube video) then up would not need a separate cam cleat to secure the sheet and that would simplify your sheet hardware. That is what I have for both the jib and main sheets.

1600371307474.png

Nov 8, 2010
Sail SFbay, It looks like the winch is wound top down rather than bottom up. Suspect it would work. Just need to assure you have a fair lead so the line does not back wrap on the winch drum.
HUH? You never ever do that.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wound top down rather than bottom up looks that way..............if you install a self tailing winch (like the one shown below in in the youtube video) then up would not need a separate cam cleat to secure the sheet and that would simplify your sheet hardware.
Of course there is only a little difference in the price tag for a new self-tailing winch and a $30 Harken cam cleat. :rolleyes:

Since the winch takes the load and the cam cleat only keeps the line from slipping off the winch a properly placed cam cleat will work. Properly placed will be different on all boats.

Nov 8, 2010
Of course there is only a little difference in the price tag for a new self-tailing winch and a $30 Harken cam cleat. :rolleyes:

Since the winch takes the load and the cam cleat only keeps the line from slipping off the winch a properly placed cam cleat will work. Properly placed will be different on all boats.
LOL I thought of that, you could probably buy a 27 for boat for the replacement cost of all the ST winches on a 46 foot boat.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We mounted ours on the vertical wall of the cockpit. Line came off the genoa block, around the winch then over the edge to the cleat. That kept them off the deck and out of your A...! See the pic. The cleats are mounted just behind the winch handle pockets at an appropriate angle for good line entry off the winch. If we needed to cross-sheet, we would come off the genoa block and go to the opposite side cabintop winch, no cleating there.

J24_1427_0038_SML.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
HUH? You never ever do that.
Look at the leads closely in the image. Granted it is fuzzy.

The sheet appears to come from the sail clew on the furler to the winch then to the cleat located not he cockpit deck stern of the winch. Since there is no deck mounted jib block the lead would come to the winch high and click into the cam cleat on the cockpit deck - low. How do you wind the winch without trapping a line or it pulling out of the cam cleat.

Not how I would rig my boat. This is not my boat.
571C1975-2023-48DE-B461-8B191A93F2AA.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
Look at the leads closely in the image. Granted it is fuzzy.

The sheet appears to come from the sail clew on the furler to the winch then to the cleat located not he cockpit deck stern of the winch. Since there is no deck mounted jib block the lead would come to the winch high and click into the cam cleat on the cockpit deck - low. How do you wind the winch without trapping a line or it pulling out of the cam cleat.

Not how I would rig my boat. This is not my boat.
View attachment 185045
Its tied up at the dock.

Feb 1, 2014
LOL. Yeah, spending near half what the boat cost me 8 yrs ago on ST winches would not be a good plan. Better places/items to spend boat$$ on.
I have to assume that cam cleats will tail the line as well as the jammer atop a ST'r after 3 turns on the drum.
My sheets run outside from clew to toe rail snatch-blocks, then upwards to base of drum; unlike the photo in question
Thanks for the info guys.fully appreciated

Last edited: