Cabin wood insert removal Hunter 26

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Having something that can easily be removed and replaced is important to me.
The first floor lasted 25 years. Replacing it frequently seems unnecessary.

My concern with laminate is the backside is usually a pressboard. If the entire thing was some kind of plastic material then maybe. But Teak can be revived to good looking with minimal effort.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
There are completely waterproof flooring panels that could be used. The one thing they are prone to is warping in the heat. I used them for a yurt I had in my yard. Waterproof but when the sun got to them they warped.

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
My floor is wood and I sanded mine down. Tried peeling it up but it was too difficult. I am planning to finish it with a marine varnish and adding some anti slip silica to the varnish. Will post photos once done later this week.

Mar 28, 2018
Hunter 260 Colorado
I had to pull ours last year after the ply completely delaminated. I replaced with a plastic laminate plank. not sure if it survived our winter yet but will post a follow up in a few weeks. This is how it it looked after installation.
That looks great. How thick was it?

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
The problem with the floor was that it was really dry and started to peel, wood started to separate. This is how my floor turned out. I used a marine varnish, pretty high VOC but it completely seals the wood to prevent moisture getting under it. These where the steps AFTER sanding which took about 10 minutes with an orbital hand sander!
1) Remove old sealant around the edge with a razor
2) Vacuum
3) Mask off outside edge
4) First Coat wait 24hrs
5) 2nd coat and then lay down silica sand to prevent slipping when wet wait 24hrs
6) 3rd coat wait 24hrs
7) Remove masking
8) Mask the "channel" to install new sealant
9) I used "Big Stretch" sealant. Its a product I am familiar with and it will allow for the expansion and compression of the wood/ fiberglass.
10) Remove masking immediately after completing sealant.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2023
Hunter 26 Lac Deux Montagnes
Do you have pictures of the ballast top? How it's look like when you removed the wood floor?

Sep 24, 2023
I'm looking for pictures of the top of the ballast, how it's look like after removal of the "wood" floor?

Thank you.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Take a look at PlasDeck (not sister product PlasTeak). It is a flexible vinyl imitation teak and holly flooring, made to a template, and glued down. You make the template, determine the design, and the Ohio factory manufactures the floor. They ship it to you with the adhesive. Extremely durable product that is actually able to be installed on the exterior deck. I used it to replace the cabin sole. Removal of the old floor and all old adhesive is the hard part. Once the floor is made, installation takes only minutes.
50061469-578C-4454-830A-A2E785B0B28C.jpeg

• Helpful
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
This is the area beside the galley in front of the companionway step. Unfortunately the only photo I’ve got at the moment with the wood removed showing the cabin sole.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2023
Thanks Twalker, so the wood floor is not directly over the the ballast top. Any hole giving water access under the wood floor from the ballast top?
I have a Hunter 26 1993 and i have a leak from the pole base bracket/bolt. Water is coming out from the edge of the wook floor and i try to understand how its goes there, and if i should remove it or restaure it on place.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The floor pan or floor has a recessed portion to fit the teak and holly floor piece into it. The floor pan is beneath it. The teak and holly sole is glued the recessed area with Liquid Nails. There is a bead of Dow 795 between the edge

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Water is coming out from the edge of the wook floor and i try to understand how its goes there, and if i should remove it or restaure it on place.
Is this where the table pole goes into the sole? If so, you may have water coming up from the keel bracket bolt. See this write up on replacing the keel lifting rope... it shows the bolt for the bracket and how to get to it.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2023
Crazy Dave, yes it is a water ballast 26 1993. Any help on the original design will be appraciated! Thank you

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
On our 260 most of the water that made its way to the cabin sole was from one of 2 sources. The major source was water that made its way past the companion way sliding hatch (either around or under the teak strip at the forward end). The second smaller source was water that made its way down the compression post and if the table was in the right position was diverted far enough out to clear the raised area at the base.
Remaking/reselling the teak strip at forward end of slider helps. Best method however is to get a canvas companionway cover from the site store and raise the central section over the hatch using a pool noodle or similar.

covers available here:

If you don’t have the canvas pop top - look at those too, they can use the same snaps.