Cabin engine access/steps.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
The steps down into the cabin of my O’Day 28 cover the access to the front of the engine. The panel has a cleat on the bottom then tilts back into position and is secured via a barrel bolt on each side. I’ve talked to another 28 owner who has this setup and who also almost broke his neck when stepping on the top step only to discover one of the barrel bolts had worked loose. Have any of you replaced these barrel bolts on your boat with something else?

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Later model 28's had a few differences from the picture you showed... Maybe some of this could help inspire some solutions for yours -
1) The barrel bolts are hidden inside the panel, and lock against the back of the adjacent panels, instead of relying on the exterior brackets.

2) The top engine cover has a frame which extends to overlap the panel on the starboard of the engine, and the panel in front of the sink. Those panels could hold the top cover and some weight even if the front panel weren't in place. I wouldn't do jumping jacks on it that way but it would probably prevent a full failure.

3) They replaced the steps with a removable ladder. Makes the first step down much easier and means you can use the engine top panel as counter space that doesn't get stepped on.
IMG_1106.JPG

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
I have an O'Day 272LE and had the same problem. The shaking that occurs as you go up and down causes the bolt to want to back out and the mean for keeping it from doing so are inadequate. Worse, the more the stair shakes, the larger the hole gets and pretty soon it's awfully easy for the damn thing to back out. I added one of these between the sink and the stair. So far, no more problems.
1570555946779.png

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Later model 28's had a few differences from the picture you showed... Maybe some of this could help inspire some solutions for yours -
1) The barrel bolts are hidden inside the panel, and lock against the back of the adjacent panels, instead of relying on the exterior brackets.

2) The top engine cover has a frame which extends to overlap the panel on the starboard of the engine, and the panel in front of the sink. Those panels could hold the top cover and some weight even if the front panel weren't in place. I wouldn't do jumping jacks on it that way but it would probably prevent a full failure.

3) They replaced the steps with a removable ladder. Makes the first step down much easier and means you can use the engine top panel as counter space that doesn't get stepped on.
View attachment 166111
On my 30, the ladder is set up this way, as this picture . The only thing with this is "When you remove the ladder and work on or with the DC panel, watch out for the attachments bolted to the inner rim of the companion way. It hurts when you bump your head against them. How do I know.....mmmmm!"

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On my 30, the ladder is set up this way, as this picture . The only thing with this is "When you remove the ladder and work on or with the DC panel, watch out for the attachments bolted to the inner rim of the companion way. It hurts when you bump your head against them. How do I know.....mmmmm!"
True. Also don’t take out the ladder, climb up to throw out some trash, then forget there are no steps when you return. :banghead: