C22 New Style "Stormwatch" Purchase and Refit

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
or maybe a pet leprechaun could sleep in there
A Lazarette Monkey would be handy...... like the trunk monkeys you could get a while ago, from Suburban Auto Group in Oregon. :)

I like your use of the bulkhead.
I mounted our fire extinguisher just inside the cabin, because I wanted it easily available If I woke up to a fire.
Putting the Handheld VHF, flares, and Horn there makes a lot of sense.
Due to the depth of that locker between the battery tray and the transom, we have our fenders, and extra rope, there.
I may get some rope on a spool, and store it there. A friend of mine has that on his boat for tying the stern to shore. Some of the places on our favorite lake here, are just made for that.

Last edited:

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Factory battery tray on our 84 is just port of the volcano, under the companionway step...
That's not a bad place for the battery box really as fa as weight goes. With our 86 new style it is in the stern Stbd locker. and with the 6hp Yamaha motor the weight's a bit too much back there for her to sit level.

I see the scupper hoses there. Have you considered adding the rear scuppers on your "old style?"
~bilbo

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Bilbo, yea added rear scuppers, went with cloud divers method...they don't sit quite flush with the floor, but will catch anything the forwards don't, or if they get clogged...didn't want to mess with the brass ones, too lazy, although those would be bigger and better IMO...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah 84 is the last year of the original design.
New Design started in 1985
Ah, yes of course, I was thinking it was a new design boat. I'm an idiot. Maybe I need new glasses, too, then I could see the avatar. Sorry I missed your humor @rpludwig, please forgive me for the unintentional insult of your intelligence. I owe you one.

Roy, I literally LOL'ed at "Lazarette Monkey" ... that might just be the best suggestion I have ever seen on this website. :laugh:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
we will keep a laz monkey down under, he can keep the gull-cat company on the laz cushion....!!!!

Gene, u owe me nothing, no insult taken! I owe you for all your valuable advice thru this journey!!

r.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
cat stb 2.jpg
Gene....laz monkey residence, stbd aft cushion on this 84 is 80" long, extends from winch to trnsm....wtf were they thinkin?
the fenders are resting comfortably in the rear stbd laz!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Solar Charger Controller and Outboard Charging System

More Progress !
I now have the initial electrical setup connected and running, so that the boat is usable as I'd like.
I have to clean up the cables with wire ties, and loom, in some areas, but it's operational. :)

Eventually, I will:
1) Replace the interior lighting, and deck light bulbs with LEDs, to lower power consumption.
2) Make a 12 VDC power cable for the a Bluetooth sound system that I have, which normally uses a 120 VAC/ 12 VDC adapter.
3) Install LED lighting in the starboard cockpit locker, and aft port interior storage space.
4) Install a deck connector for cable from the Solar Panel. (it currently just runs through the hatch into the Lazarette Monkey's cabin)
5) Switch to a MPPT type Solar Charge Controller if needed.
6) Install fuses at the battery
7) Make a small panel to the left of the existing panel, to relocate the temporarily mounted the 12V cigarette lighter socket, install an inverter setup, etc
8) Relocate the battery to under the v-berth. That not only lets me add more battery capacity, it also will help keep weight out of the stern of the boat.

For now, the basic electrical system is working.

The basic layout is as follows:
a) 40 Watt Sunforce solar panel --> 20 AMP PWM solar charge controller <--> Group 24 battery
b) Solar charge controller --> Original power panel with new circuit breakers, and switches --> Lights, VHF Radio, Lowrance Mark 4 fish/depth finder, waterproof tablet running Navionics Boating HD, etc
c) Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro's charging system --> Group 24 battery​

Charger Controller:

The charge controller controls the charging rate of the solar panel, based on the voltage of the battery.
It can also manually and automatically (based on battery voltage) disconnect or connect power to both the boat's power panel, and it's own internal 2A 5VDC USB output ports.

The Sunforce solar panel originally came with a 7amp shunting style charge controller, but this PWM unit has additional functions and settings, including an LCD display that can show, panel output, battery charging rate and mode, battery voltage, amps of load, etc. This has the added benefit of eliminating the need for a separate battery meter.

I have mounted the charge controller with double sided tape, in case I decide to reconfigure things after I've tested this setup.

OEM power panel (with temporarily mounted 12 power socket), fed by the solar charger controller.

Controller showing the power consumption in amps, with all the exterior and interior lights on.

Tohatsu charging output:
The output from the Tohatsu is on a completely separate circuit consisting simply of 18 gauge Ancor marine wire extending the OEM charging output cable to ring terminals at the battery.

It supposedly will output 5A at full throttle. Once I have tested it's actual output at "normal" RPM I may put a voltage regulator on it. (The manufacturer, and dealer both told me that the output is unregulated, but some other owners have stated that it is actually regulated)

Battery Disconnect:
I had a new automotive battery disconnect lying around, so I used that to enable disconnecting power right at the battery post. They come in various styles, including for batteries with just screw terminals.

When I relocate the battery to under the v-berth, I'll get a bulkhead mount marine battery switch, so I don't have to move a bunch of gear or cushions to access it.
(We have used these disconnects for a few years at the automotive shop, for customer's RVs, and other vehicles that get infrequent use. So far they have worked well, and been durable)
batterydisconnect.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR...nice work there! we haven't gone to LED's yet but will eventually...pricey, eh?

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
We did the LEDs for the nav lights....all but that halogen deck light.
They've been good for 6 years so far....Well I did have to replace one after the dock incident when the neighbor boat's shroud slid up the forestay and lassoed my original windex and mast light in a storm.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have LED bulbs already installed for bow and stern navigation lights.

The expensive one is the Polar Star 25 bi-colour bow light.
It uses 1 Watt and meets SCG COLREG 1972 and ABYC A-16. specs of 2 NM visibility.
Just using white LEDs behind the 2 coloured lens doesn't achieve the correct output. I assume this is due to the spectrum white LEDs produce. The Polar Star 25 has different LEDS for each quadrant to achieve the correct output.

They sell that here on SBO:
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1811/Nav+Bulb+-+LED+Bi-Color+Series+25

I have yet to come up with an LED Bulb alternative to the halogen deck light bulb, and to get LED bulbs for the others.
For the cabin bulbs and deck light, I'll likely just order them directly from china. Much cheaper and not critical to safety or viewing distance.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Unfortunately my steaming/decklight unit was made before 1988 and it has a 2 pin connector on the bulb.
CD states: "No LED module exists for the deck lights of those fixtures produced before 1988"

I had briefly looked into modifying the deck light portion by removing the built-in reflector and installing a MR16 LED with it's own reflector.
I assume that the original unit's halogen bulb was left exposed to prevent heat build up from damaging the plastic housing. By using a MR16 type LED, I would have a better reflector, and should be able to seal the bulb into the housing with a silicone gasket.

If I remember correctly, the idea was workable, but I decided do higher priority modifications first, and now I don't remember the problems to be solved. I think the length, of the few LED alternatives I tested, was an issue.

This type of stuff is why I want to buy a 3D printer kit this winter.
I could make all sorts of custom pieces for various projects, including reproducing discontinued parts for the truck and motorcycles I'm restoring.

Last edited:

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Unfortunately my steaming/decklight unit was made before 1988 and it has a 2 pin connector on the bulb.
CD states: "No LED module exists for the deck lights of those fixtures produced before 1988"

I had briefly looked into modifying the deck light portion by removing the built-in reflector and installing a MR16 LED with it's own reflector.
Mine is the same and I considered the same but I really don't use that Halogen deck light much.
On our lake, sleeping aboard isn't really allowed but one can fish out there all night. This reg. is for good reason since there was a recent boating accident / death on a nearby lake where a drunk boater hit a fishing boat with a high-powered cruiser.
it's good to see better at the docks but we also have sodium vapor street lights there.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
She is finally in the water.

Now that Stormwatch has a functional depth finder, and functional electrical power system, it was time to get her in the water again.

I've been so busy the last 2 years, with little time to work on the boat, that it's a big relief to have her get to this stage.
Considering that she needed a lot less work than many of the older C22's in this forum, I can't imagine the patience that other owners have with their much bigger projects. Kudos to you guys.

With one of the last spare weekends of the summer imminent, we called a Silver Harbour, about 1.5 hours north of here, on west shore of the huge Lake Winnipeg, to see if we could keep her there for the weekend.
We got lucky, and they had a slip we could use.

It's a very sheltered marina, on a river outlet. It has the advantage of being closer to part of the lake that has the best sailing destinations, and as a bonus, has very few power boats. After 10pm it's dead quiet due to a noise curfew.
They have a sailing club on site. So there is a lot of somewhat similarly minded people there....

Which helped a lot when we discovered that 2 of the turnbuckle pins were missing. :cuss:
Having a selection of spare hardware, has always been on my list of mandatory gear on board, but that was further down on my list of tasks. hehe.

Two nice sailors/future friends, luckily had a spare pin each, and we could raise the mast.

It took a total of 3 hours after we arrived, to figure out where we were allowed to rig, where our berth would be, inspect the launch ramp, find the bathrooms, quickly chat with club members, etc. ... and finally have her floating in her berth. (with no water leaking in via her transducers. :) )

That gave us just enough time to cook burgers on the BBQ, semi-organize the boat, and go catch the end of the live music sing-a-long that some of the club members were hosting.

Interesting note: It's a bit of a different setup there. A few of the boat owners, have RVs on land near their boat.
A couple with a Catalina 27, apparently sleep in their Class A motorhome 50 feet from their boat.

Sunday, we hoped to finally have her under sail, but that didn't happen. :rolleyes:
We spent the day sorting though lines and other gear, getting things sorted, moving to a different berth, meeting other club members, having tea/baileys with guests, making up new dock lines, etc
At one point we were swapping out some hardware on the furler, when a small storm cell passed over.
We had the spare jib halyard in place as a temporary forestay, and I increased my dislike for those damn little split rings.
I was in middle of reconnecting the forestay when my wife said.... you have 2 minutes max !
Just another reason why switching to using quick pins for the forward lower shrouds, and the forestay, has always been on my future to do list.

By evening, we had her mostly organized, above and below deck.
The Monday morning plan, was to tune the standing rigging with a Loos gauge, and go out for a morning sail.

Unfortunately, Sunday night was a big temperature drop, with the result of Monday having 25 kts gusting to 35 , occasional rain, mostly cloudy, etc. Nothing I wanted to sail in with an unfamiliar boat.

So.. we did a few more tasks, and drove home, after leaving her secure at the dock, under the watchful eye of the marina staff and club members.

Hopefully this weekend will have good weather for a shakedown sail.
If we have a chance, we may just drive up one evening this week and take her out.

Bottom line.... the boat is usable now, and won't sit in the backyard next summer. (the major project for next spring is to remove/fiberglass the old transducer and speed log, and sand/polish/paint the hull)

The 40 watt solar panel and charger did a good job on the Monday with only occasional sunshine. We ran interior lights, charged 2 cell phones from empty, and occasionally had the VHF on. When we headed home, the group 24 battery was full.

Once I organize my updated task and project list, I'll post it. There are a few things I've decided to change, and it may help others.

Sep 30, 2013
"Congratulations" doesn't quite cover it. Good for you, man. I can imagine how good that feels. Cheers to ya!

And great pic with the poptop tent! Odd how high the bow appears to sit, with you in the stern though. Hmm.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Odd how high the bow appears to sit, with you in the stern though. Hmm.
Good eye !
It may be simply that most of the gear was in the stern at that time.
That photo was taken early on Sunday, after we moved berths, and had just started sorting things out.
The v-berth only had the mainsail in it, and the water "tank", and porta pottie were empty. Almost everything else was piled on the starboard settee.
We had a water jug in the stern, but I transferred the water into the "tank" later in the day.

I've added "check to see if she floats on her lines" to my list for this week/end. Thanks for the heads up !

I should also mention that the Tohatsu was great. Starts easily and on it's first pull. Idle speed can easily move the boat.

Interesting note:... the previous owners had just a cotter pin connecting the upper mainsheet block, to the boom ! I hadn't noticed that before.
I had a small clevis pin in the tool box, so that was quickly fixed.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congrats LR! Lookin' good! Rewarding to finally get her in the water, eh?
+1 on that good looking pop top cover!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
I've added "check to see if she floats on her lines" to my list for this week/end. Thanks for the heads up !
Sorry ... I was just busting your chops, or trying to. It's not you gaining weight, it's the laz monkey!

You probably already know, New Design boats are stern-heavy by nature. With you standing alone in the stern, and the gear and water not packed forward, it's a given she would float that way. With only me aboard, gear stashed forward ... Daydream is still about two inches low in the stern: