C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
IMG_2095.JPG
So... after a discussion with Don Moyer regarding rebuilding an OLD Oberdorfer pump, versus buying one of his new ones I bit the bullet and picked up a new pump. The money difference was negligible. I installed it yesterday and pre-primed it with my winterizing bypass plumbing before connecting it to the motor's cooling passages. 'Worked like a charm and pulled that lovely clear water in one side and out the other.

I was about to put gas in and fire it up yesterday but ran out of time. It's a good thing since tonight we're under a freeze warning. I popped a little RV antifreeze through the pump after church this morning. We're safe...

Maybe after next week we can hope to be past the final freeze.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Damn Mother Nature....

Still waiting for a good gut feeling we are done with hard freezes.... I want to hear that motor purring on the hard before I commit to splash day. In the meantime I have the mast back down out of the rafters finishing up with some final tweaks to the big stick prior to test fitting the new standing rigging
IMG_2114.JPG

Here is the new audio signalling device...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
yup...

To understand the why, you have to have been with me and my wife about 9 years ago on our Catalina 22 to enjoy the panic of being almost run over by a powerboat. Full daylight, main and 110 flying, no way to miss us, yet a couple and their dog almost broad-sided us... When they looked up and veered away in a panic, my only satisfaction was knowing they likely were needing to go to shore to change their shorts.

From that day on I had promised myself I would have a signalling device loud enough to reach out to that boat and warn them earlier... It is done...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
That dog.... Shifty fella.... he leads an, um... interesting life. One of his mothers owns the boat, while the other mother owns a motorcycle and a sidecar. The dog gets a haircut that leaves him with a lion's mane look, sometimes dyed... And the dog usually is wearing a bandana. Except when in the sidecar and then he is usually sporting goggles....

What I am suggesting is that it might actually have been the dog....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
A quick update from yesterday. I found a spare gallon of pink antifreeze in the shop while cleaning up and realized that while it would not get me running and up to thermostat temperature it would allow me to crank the motor and see if it would start. We are expecting another freeze this weekend so I am not ready to be putting water through the engine just yet unless I know I can keep the motor above freezing or re-winterize it.

SO, off to the gas station to get some non-ethanol fuel. 3 gallons to be exact. I put the fuel in mixed with some Marvel Mystery Oil and then used the recently installed primer bulb to fill the Moeller cartridge fuel filter and prime the carb.

Surprise 1: It turns out that the gasket for the sediment bowl on the fuel pump was missing so as I was priming the fuel line to the carb some gasoline ended up on the floor of the engine compartment. woops... That cleanup took about a solid half hour with the vent fan running and all of the hatches and ports opened. Eventually the odor was mostly gone and all of the spill had been wiped up. I left the vent fan running while I went to the house to eat dinner.

Surprise 2: So after dinner I went back out to the boat. Despite the sediment bowl gasket mishap, enough of the fuel had apparently gone to the carburetor for the bowl to fill up and seat the needle valve. I dropped the accessory raw-water intake hose into the pink antifreeze jug, gave a quick crank of the key, and lo and behold the motor fired right up. Hurray!

I cut and fitted a cork gasket for the sediment bowl and bonded the two together with some Permatex gasket sealant. It sat overnight on a flat-plane surface to set up. Tonight I will go re-install the sediment bowl and tighten it up. Crossed fingers I have taken care of the leak. I am glad I installed the primer bulb on the fuel line; it will help me make sure that the fuel system is really tight and leak-free. The only boom I want on this boat is the one holding the clew at the back of the main sail...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Picture worth a thousand words. Almost. :)

I have to order or build a new black pipe exhaust as mine cracked in two today after launch. Man an A4 with open exhaust sure sounds mean. LOL. Not to mention all the exhaust in the cabin! Thank goodness for a good gentle breeze today.

I'll get the stick up in the next week or so. Tension the rig and let her settle into new shape. Then I'll readjust the motor mounts to get back in line with the shaft. I'll probably call Don Moyer for the exhaust. His standard is based on the C27 so it should be bolt-on.

Baby steps but we're a few steps closer.
IMG_2195.JPG

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well, the exhaust hot section is in transit and will be here Friday. I went ahead and bought a mechanical fuel pump rebuild kit for the spare pump I purchased and it is on its way with the exhaust part(s). Knock on wood I can get the mast to the dock soon and get that big stick in the air.

Stay tuned...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, the exhaust hot section is in transit and will be here Friday. I went ahead and bought a mechanical fuel pump rebuild kit for the spare pump I purchased and it is on its way with the exhaust part(s). Knock on wood I can get the mast to the dock soon and get that big stick in the air.

Stay tuned...
Good deal! yes get the mast up, sailboats look particularly sorry when they are floating without a stick.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I have the A-Frame material purchased, and I have the block and tackle. The biggest issue is transport, as the most is lying in my shop about 15 miles from the boat. I have access to a trailer long enough to legally haul it. Sticking it up should really be no big deal...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I bet Jackdaw as well as Mainesail had written me off. It’s okay. I would have too. When I started this journey I had a fiancé. Now I have a wife, a 7 year old and today a 5 year old with a fever. My wife has been through two jobs. Upward mobility so congrats to her. I still do my gig since I started this odyssey. Marine Audio Unit Director at Kicker Marine Audio.

I ordered a set of 4 Schaefer 4” marine tangs tonight just now to let me get the mast completely in column. My gut says they will go inside the furler. We will see.

Carelessness witnessed a Hood Seafurl halyard swivel go in the drink. It’s in 5-7 feet of water and very silty bottom so hopefully I can retrieve it. Otherwise I’m at the mercy of the vendor to see if they will sell me just that part.

Next step. Rig the forestay, lose the halyards fore, get the mast in column and wait a week. Then start jacking motor mounts.

Closest I’ve been in 10 years.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I bet Jackdaw as well as Mainesail had written me off. It’s okay. I would have too. When I started this journey I had a fiancé. Now I have a wife, a 7 year old and today a 5 year old with a fever. My wife has been through two jobs. Upward mobility so congrats to her. I still do my gig since I started this odyssey. Marine Audio Unit Director at Kicker Marine Audio.

I ordered a set of 4 Schaefer 4” marine tangs tonight just now to let me get the mast completely in column. My gut says they will go inside the furler. We will see.

Carelessness witnessed a Hood Seafurl halyard swivel go in the drink. It’s in 5-7 feet of water and very silty bottom so hopefully I can retrieve it. Otherwise I’m at the mercy of the vendor to see if they will sell me just that part.

Next step. Rig the forestay, lose the halyards fore, get the mast in column and wait a week. Then start jacking motor mounts.

Closest I’ve been in 10 years.
Excellent!!!!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well, the nice folks at Hood were able to sell me a halyard swivel, so I will be able to get the forestay attached when it arrives. I had hoped that a new 135 furling jib would be here and ready to install but my supplier disappeared. I have to find another source...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well, the nice folks at Hood were able to sell me a halyard swivel, so I will be able to get the forestay attached when it arrives. I had hoped that a new 135 furling jib would be here and ready to install but my supplier disappeared. I have to find another source...
Very disappointed

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
What is your luff length?
Totally stock C27 dimensions. Standard rig, not tall rig. Off the cuff I don’t know I, J, or P Off the top of my head but it’s a totally stock non-modified rig. Black marking lines still intact even.

I can reply back after research next week. Work is keeping me busy. Judy B knows.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I had already ordered a stock Catalina standard rig 135 with a black Sunbrella UV cover with Tenara thread, draft stripes, tell tails, foam luff pad, and even delivered credit card info along with particulars about how much down payment to deliver. I actually elected to pay for all up front but I’ve still not seen the sail. The upside is my card has not been charged, but communication just stopped.

One day we were literally on the phone discussing the order, life, and kids. I gave credit card info, with a promise of order, and delivery dates, then nothing. Repeated emails went unanswered. I figured the vendor was a fire victim ‘til they popped up and liked my recent posts.

I thought I had a sail on the way. It’s been more than a year now. Today after discovering the vendor is a contributor here I basically got a note that said, “Sorry Pal...”

In the interim I’ve had a shoulder replaced. I still got my job done. The vendor said eye and knee surgery prevented them from completing my order. I’m still working.

“Sorry Pal” feels pretty disingenuous. It’s one #%^%#} sail you get to make money on.

Deliver on the promise unspecified vendor....