BUYING! H34! (my boat thread)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, you are obviously a glutton for punishment. Don't start with the power stuff now. ;)

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
I'm not unfamiliar with this routine, I just don't like doing it on the transom in the water but, it's best done now before the boat comes out for the winter I don't like working on ladders any better and I do know how to use all the compounds and wet sandpapers and all that, my son and I used to restore cars and also being small wooden boat builder... I have a vast amount of experience I just don't have the muscles!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Update
Still plugging along finally got Bert & Ernie back to the street and off the transom!
FB_IMG_1633886378731.jpg

FB_IMG_1633886386635.jpg
FB_IMG_1633886392145.jpg

Found another water leak! it's the port water tank was wondering where that clean water was coming from in the bilge. Sigh I spent most of the day taking the port bunk apart what a beech that was!
Forgot to measure the tank, I'm either going to repair it with scotch weld for polyethylene or cut the top out and put in a bladder..

The water heater replacement is done about 2 weeks ago.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Well if for any reason you decide to sell that tank, I will take it off your hands!

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
After seeing the price of replacement tanks I am going to repair it! With 3m DP 8005
Exactly! The previous owner of my boat decided to throw the port tank and the holding tank out because he was too wimpy to clean them from the owner before him. So he put in a way too small holding tank, and never replaced the port water tank, I still have the aft tank at least. I've thought of building one many times out of food safe epoxy but for now the 30 gallon aft tank is doing me fine.

We really need a term for previous owners - like an ex, but an ex you don't really know :D

Feb 26, 2009
If you look for replacement tanks for RV instead of marine you'll find lower prices virtually the same type in various sizes

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks for the updates.. Really interested exactly where on the tank the crack/leak is.

Feb 26, 2009
We don't have it out yet but it is definitely on the bottom somewhere because it's soaking wet under there... But there's a lot of water to pump out yet

Feb 26, 2009
I must say I'm rather pleased how the Yanmar 3gm30 starts so easily even when it is cold. two or three short cranks and she starts!

Further inspection of the hull... some blisters nothing major, the iron keel apparently has something under the bottom paint I'm thinking barrier coat because it's like a grayish white, that will need scraping and painting before spring splash,

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
the iron keel apparently has something under the bottom paint I'm thinking barrier coat because it's like a grayish white, that will need scraping and painting before spring splash,
Barrier coat over an iron keel is very likely. If the coat is compromised or you scrape into it you’ll want to refresh it with a couple more coats. Otherwise you’ll have rust bubbling out wherever water gets to the iron.

Feb 26, 2009
Like many people in the Middle Atlantic area not much going on with my boat.
I did stop down to check on her, cleaned up the mess from winterizing.

Antifreeze was still in the bilge, I guess that's a pretty indicator that her hull to keel
joint is still tight.

I am going to enlarge the air conditioning and engine water intakes, (1/2" to 3/4") omit the external strainer and stay with the inline strainers because it will be easy to clean the intakes, from above should they clog up with slimy mud.

Feb 26, 2009
Been doing my research! I ordered two flanged seacocks made by Buck Algonquin they are the shortest ones I could find at 2-11/16" high there's only 4.5" for the AC intake through hull yeeesh!
So in the next few weeks hopefully the old will be gone and the new will be in!

I still need to make backing blocks McMaster-Carr here I come they have g10

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
We don't have it out yet but it is definitely on the bottom somewhere because it's soaking wet under there... But there's a lot of water to pump out yet
the port tank flexes inboard-suggest adding a spacer between the tank and the setee onboard panel

Feb 26, 2009
the port tank flexes inboard-suggest adding a spacer between the tank and the setee onboard panel
I put it back in the boat almost 3 months ago I taught myself how to weld plastic it was quite easy! It really is a big tank, should have a baffles!