BUYING! H34! (my boat thread)

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
If you can find your Autopilot ECU, you should see wires labeled for the Fluxgate Compass. They should lead you to it. Generally amidship, low and center. I had to stick my head in the bilge then look up.
Raymarine was very helpful and gave me trouble shooting instructions along with Ohm readings to determine my problem with the compass.
Robin

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Thank you! I'm sure I'll find the other components. Actually happy to have the wheel drive off the wheel it was really jamming up!

I haven't spent a whole lot of time exploring the boat, just getting it moved to the Eastern shore at Worton Creek and the current heat wave conditions has me staying at a friend's house for another week.

Currently I'm agonizing over the dodger which is very nice on the boat but totally in the way of everything and I'm at the just the wrong height to see over it and looking under it isn't very effective so I may take it off until I'm more comfortable with the boat!
20210819_124113_Film3.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
I just returned to my boat about 2:30 p.m. (Saturday Aug 28th)

Me boat has passed a few tests now!
For the better part of August she's been on battery charger and shore power 24/7. As of Tuesday earlier this week I put her on batteries only, no shore power no battery charger...
Came back to the boat the bilge pump doesn't look like it's even ran. the batteries are still reading well into the green can't even tell that they've discharged any.. so I'm a happy floating camper this weekend.

Now if I could just unpack these damn bags from back and forth to friends houses and my boat. Because of this extended heatwave.

Feb 26, 2009
How bad would the plexiglass/ acrylic slider leak without a dodger over it I want to remove the dodger till I'm more comfortable with the boat I never really liked dodgers anyway they're only good in bad weather
20210828_134201_Film3-1.jpg

Ignore the plywood that's just for when I'm away from the boat, I have a Plexi drop in for day use.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
It shouldn't leak at all. The slider goes over a rail and should drain outboard of that.
The slider would need to be slid more aft than in your picture so that it covers the hatchboard - otherwise it'll leak at the corners.

Douse it with a hose and go look - you'll then know truly how much it leaks.

Feb 26, 2009
We've had some pretty good rains here and yes it's normally hanging over the drop board I had already been unlocked and pushed back and just brought it out for the picture, thank you!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Note: some 34’s have a defect under the seahood that blocks drainage from the companionway slider pocket. Mine is one that had no drain gaps in the pocket. Rain would collect in the pocket and eventually leak into the cabin from the pocket edge over the sink. There are some pictures in the “boat mods” section that show the drains. If you hose down the slider and water leaks inside, you may have the blocked drains. The dodger would mask the problem.

Feb 26, 2009
Well last night I discovered some seepage I won't to say leakage from the fixed plastic Port lights! Looks like Mark plastics is no longer anyone else making these for our boats not that they're hard to make ourselves, I'm familiar with Dow 765!

Feb 26, 2009
No frames, the 4 black plastic overlay on the outside, I'm not too worried about all the gray mfg ports the parts are available,

Feb 26, 2009
I made them for my Oday 30 I can make them for this boat too thank you for the offer!

Feb 26, 2009
Well I rode out the storm last night sleeping on the boat, it was like sleeping on a roller coaster! but it's a beautiful day today! (Greenpoint Landing Maryland)
So I spent most of the afternoon cleaning the port windows of all the mold mildew and crud and cleaning the spigots which is no easy task finally, used a piece of lamp cord like a little snake also polished all the lenses but you still can't really see through them maybe they were originally that way. But there's nine or 10 on the boat so it took most of the day!
20210902_131159_Film3-1.jpg
20210902_131101_Film3-1.jpg
20210902_133512_Film3-1.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Did some more exploring when I got back from dinner I saw these snaps and velcro around the companion Way and the ceiling so I started looking pictures to the rest definitely somebody knew how to sew that owned a boat before me!
20210902_182231_Film3.jpg
20210902_182653_Film3.jpg

So, you could say I'm bug proof! but bugs don't usually bother you when it's cool out. and when it's hot out your lose up turn on the air conditioning!

They're also appears to be zip-on screens for the Bimini and the dodger for a near total enclosure which I'll check out if it starts getting cold.

Feb 26, 2009
Can't help but wonder how thick the gel coat is on the transom! Slowly (when I'm in the mood) using environmentally safe paint remover scraping with razor blades is the most effective but time-consuming. But Bert and Ernie are slowly fading of course there is raised areas of gel coat where the paint was I don't ever hope to get it smooth and I'll try and come up with a decal design that largely fills the same space as the old with the new name.

Feb 26, 2009
20210811_135624_Film3-1.jpg
20210831_184124_Film3.jpg
20210903_132849_Film3-1.jpg

Getting there! But I'm seriously considering getting RO sander and a bunch of 220 and 600 Grit

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You should experiment with sanding/compounding/polishing - it's amazing how gelcoat can be brought back to like new. I wouldn't use the RO sander, too aggressive - do it by hand so you just take the paint off and no more. 220 is a bit rough, 400-600 would be better. Then work your way up the grit ladder: 1000, 1500, 2000. Compound and polish and Bert and Ernie will be forgotten.