Bow thruster hunter

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You might contact bow thruster manufacturers and see if they have any input regarding your particular installation and boat size. You might consider an external thruster like the ones offered by Yacht Thruster. They show photos of Hunter 39 and Catalina 375 sailboat installations on their web site.

Interesting thread on Hunter 386 bow thruster consideration: bow thruster on386 hunter

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Once you install a thruster, your boat handling skills are going to go right out the window.

Apr 22, 2019
Hunter 44ds Rothesay
I have installed on on hunter 44ds. It is lewmar 4 hp. Works well. Currently tied into windlass circuit, but draws too much current. Have to install 2/0 cable to take lisd... itgrteise it is handy.

Sep 30, 2019
Hunter SD SD 41 St.Simons Island, GA
I have bow thruster on 41DS Hunter , and love it.
On strong wind and fast tide in and/or out to narrows space or getting to the mooring ball it is still challenging.
I guarantee you go to love it, as do every marina workman, capten you be cool with compliments at all the time.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I guarantee you go to love it, as do every marina workman, capten you be cool with compliments at all the time.
When someone compliments us on a nice docking saying, "It must be nice to have a bow thruster." and we don't, that's a compliment I really feel good about.

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I have a Hunter 380. I bought and installed an Exturn 24 volt external bow thruster from Germany. No speed loss. Plenty of power to spin the boat as needed for docking. Two 12 volt batteries and disconnect switch in the bow area also. Joystick mounted on the pedestal. Works great

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I like the idea of a bow thruster, my slip is tight and current and wind play hell sometimes.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The following youtube video entitled "How to Install a Bow Thruster" shows the installation of a "tunnel" bow thruster on a Hunter sailboat about your size. These guys weren't afraid to cut those two large tunnel thruster holes in the side of their boat!! Tunnel thrusters are usually located 4 to 8 feet back from the bow. This way you can be sure the hull width is sufficient to allow good water flow through the transverse tunnel and that the thruster is deep enough in the water that it won’t suck air. External thrusters, like the Yacht Thruster, also need to be set a few feet back, although not quite as far. Plus check out the Sail Magazine article below.

Dec 4, 2018
Balboa 27 Denver
When someone compliments us on a nice docking saying, "It must be nice to have a bow thruster." and we don't, that's a compliment I really feel good about.
That’s wonderful for you. There is so much variation in boat characteristics, harbor and dock situations that it is disingenuous to brag about your own situation. Must be nice to be so wonderful.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
That’s wonderful for you. There is so much variation in boat characteristics, harbor and dock situations that it is disingenuous to brag about your own situation. Must be nice to be so wonderful.
I have literally driven hundreds of boats, all over the world, so it hardly matters about the "variation in boat characteristics, harbor and dock situations". It doesn't even matter what language the system labels are in, if you know the basics, you should be able to jump aboard any boat and get her to mind you in short order. Do you think professional delivery captains have to spend a lot of time learning to drive each boat?
This isn't the first time you've commented in this fashion, so I guess you have a problem with those who can operate a boat without some fancy bit of kit that will one day fail and leave the operator unable to do anything but call Sea Tow for help. If you are comfortable leaving the dock like that, more power to you.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have literally driven hundreds of boats, all over the world, so it hardly matters about the "variation in boat characteristics, harbor and dock situations". It doesn't even matter what language the system labels are in, if you know the basics, you should be able to jump aboard any boat and get her to mind you in short order. Do you think professional delivery captains have to spend a lot of time learning to drive each boat?
This isn't the first time you've commented in this fashion, so I guess you have a problem with those who can operate a boat without some fancy bit of kit that will one day fail and leave the operator unable to do anything but call Sea Tow for help. If you are comfortable leaving the dock like that, more power to you.
I’ve driven powerboats since in my teens. Maneuvering my sailboat was a completely different world. Different pivot point, mass, rudder response and prop walk. Not impossible (I only ran into a couple boats lol) but hardly a turn key event. I think a little more in the “middle of the pendulum “ between you two guys is appropriate. Experience pays dividends but those dividends don’t transfer to others experiences and abilities.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I’ve driven powerboats since in my teens. Maneuvering my sailboat was a completely different world. Different pivot point, mass, rudder response and prop walk. Not impossible (I only ran into a couple boats lol) but hardly a turn key event. I think a little more in the “middle of the pendulum “ between you two guys is appropriate. Experience pays dividends but those dividends don’t transfer to others experiences and abilities.
I sincerely hope that Garbonzo is as good or better at his profession than I am at mine. However, I would never criticize him as he has me, as I, as an amateur, couldn't possibly understand his knowledge of his profession.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I sincerely hope that Garbonzo is as good or better at his profession than I am at mine. However, I would never criticize him as he has me, as I, as an amateur, couldn't possibly understand his knowledge of his profession.
I would not question his ability but I would question mine.......at sailing that is