bow thruster on386 hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ken

I am asking anyone with the 380 or 386 hull if they have installed a bow thruster. The replies I have already received were totally unaware of the difficulties of docking at my home dock due to the narrow channel and the amount of sand that drifts into same. This is the most difficult marina I have ever been into and I have to back my boat into the slip without the room to make a wide turn. My prop is two bladed and perhaps that is my problem, however experienced sailors who have done extensive racing as well as cruising are amazed that I can get the boat into the slip at all. So again I am asking for help

C

Captn Dare

thruster

Ken, I don't personally know of any 386 or 380 owners that have installed a bow thruster however, I just took a quick look at a late 376 (same hull mold) and it certainly appears possible. If I were you, I'd get a copy of the Vetus catalog and a tape measure, go down to your boat and do some figuring. You may be able to make one fit in front of the water tank. Be carfull however, that you take into account the recomended min. distance that the tube need to be from the water line. If it's too small the thruster will suck air from the surface and won't work well. (as well as make one hell of a noise) That said, I have to agree with the other guys that practice, spring lines and fenders would be a whole lot cheaper and easier solution. I regularly move boats much bigger than 38 feet into some pretty horrible slips so I know with a little practice and planning it can be done. Good luck.

Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 356 Alameda
Thruster

Ken, You might want to contact the bow thruster manufacturers and see if they have any input regarding your particular installation. I am going to attempt to attach a picture of our 356 out of the water. I'm not sure how much different your front water line is on the 386, but you will notice that we just don't have enough depth for a bow thruster from the looks of it. That is the concern that Captn Dare was referencing. I suspect the 386 may have similar lines. I believe that a bow thruster is an option on a Hunter 44. So somewhere in between it becomes possible. Dan Jonas (S/V? Feije II)

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
not enough room

the tunnel for a thruster has to sit above the stringers. even the smallest-diameter thruster will sit so high on a sailboat under 45 feet that it would cavitate. a friend just had a thruster installed on an Oyster 485 and there was barely enough room on that boat. a much less draconian measure would be to negotiate for a better slip.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Don't some of these thrusters have a movable

tunnel. You know, push a button, the system lowers and the prop spins. I sure hope so. That's the only way I would ever fulfill my thruster fantasy. (H34)

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
Fred's thruster fantasy

Check the link. You might have to pay a bit extra to get one of these retractable babies retrofitted on an H34. Don't let yourself be dissuaded when they tell you you'll have to install a second diesel to power the unit, or that the unit will only fit if you remove the v-berths and dedicate the forward cabin to it. Minor details.

J

Joe

Back into the Marina

Back into the marina, then you don't have to turn

Status
Not open for further replies.