Bought A Salvage

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
All good man- not suggesting he doesn’t look at it carefully (its a great point you made) and yes electricity is the same. However a boat getting 5” of fresh water inside it’s cabin is not really comparable to a car that was in a flood, that’s all I’m saying.

Your point about potential surprises that can come up later is spot on, and we are both trying to help. I wasn’t trying to be snarky (sorry if it came across that way).

Cheers man.
+1 on replacing all the wiring below the high water line. The Bavaria 35 next to me at our marina belongs to a liveaboard guy. Long story short, this summer while he was away for 2 weeks he hired a well known local company to install a marine A/C unit. During the install they buggered an existing thru hull, and didn't catch it when they put the boat back in the water and in his slip. The marina noticed it when the boat had noticeably settled in the water, pumped it out, and had it immediately hauled back out. The (salt)water had come up about a foot above the cabin sole on the interior. The insurance company agreed with the surveyor that ALL wiring and electrical components below the high water mark had to be ripped out and completely replaced. The risk of unseen corrosion eventually causing issues later - including fire - is well accepted. Obviously your call on your boat, but the folks recommending caution in this area are providing good advice.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Guys lucky it was fresh water... salt water and wiring is a corrosive disaster for sure.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Guys lucky it was fresh water... salt water and wiring is a corrosive disaster for sure.
While I fully appreciate that salt water is substantially more corrosive than fresh water, no one should operate under the false impression that you're much luckier because the submersion was in fresh water. If you are its a matter of degree, and its a very false sense of security to assume that because the immersion was fresh that you're somehow OK electrically where the water intruded. Fresh AND saltwater penetrate equally well into connections, wires, etc. Fresh water WILL cause corrosion and rust where it lies, and that corrosion can also cause higher resistance, heat, arcing, short circuits, and fires.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but given the potential consequences its worth being unambiguous about the dangers in this case.