Bought A Salvage

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
All good man- not suggesting he doesn’t look at it carefully (its a great point you made) and yes electricity is the same. However a boat getting 5” of fresh water inside it’s cabin is not really comparable to a car that was in a flood, that’s all I’m saying.

Your point about potential surprises that can come up later is spot on, and we are both trying to help. I wasn’t trying to be snarky (sorry if it came across that way).

Cheers man.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
All good. The bad thing about this format is you miss out on all of the visual cues that tell you whether the other guy is just yakking or about to whip your a$$. Totally agree that the amount of stuff that gets damaged in a flood car typically exceeds that in a boat. Although, I've seen inverters, on board chargers, solar controllers, and a host of other goodies mounted low. Hope that's not the case with his rig. Seems like he scored a heck of a deal.

Don't mind me. I'm just a natural jerk. At least that's what my wife and kids tell me.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
5" above the cabin sole. You can see a waterline on the wood work in some of his pics. It had a fair amount of water in it. Glad the water line is visible. That will make the assessment easier.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Your immediate concern should be the health of yourself and crew. If there was water enough in the boat to be absorbed into the plys of the bulkheads, then mold will grow there. There are many instances of folks becoming very ill from unknown pathogens only to discover that is was mold and the associated spores. Good deals are sometimes only that for the seller.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
It's the state flower here. He should be able to clean it up or remove and replace anything that's too far gone to clean. I've had the pleasure of recovering cars that were moldy enough to crawl away, and, unfortunately, a waterfront home in the same condition (courtesy of hurricane Katrina). Mold remediation, if necessary, can be done effectively and safely. Mold wouldn't discourage me from the deal he just got. Photos don't look too bad, really.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Your immediate concern should be the health of yourself and crew. If there was water enough in the boat to be absorbed into the plys of the bulkheads, then mold will grow there. There are many instances of folks becoming very ill from unknown pathogens only to discover that is was mold and the associated spores. Good deals are sometimes only that for the seller.
Yes, my next thing to look into will be checking for mold. I have a friend that owns a serve pro franchise, I am sure he can help advise me.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I would also suggest putting some large canisters of Kanberra gel inside the cabin and in the bilge. Kanberra Gel | Fisheries Supply It kills off the mold and mildew spores.
I have a friend who had been looking to purchase a 37' boat for $40,000 but before the deal was done, the same thing happed to the boat. the bilge pump failed and it got enough water inside to float the floor boards but did not get into the engine or any cushions. He ended up buying it from the insurance company for $3,700 and everything works fine.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Been working on the boat since Monday afternoon. Repaired bad connector in fresh water pump, cleaned out p/o linens etc. installed main sail, jib, and cover. Left all the canvas in cabin until next trip. Mechanic coming today to change all fluids. So far so good. Did and ozone treatment yesterday.

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looks like a Bristol...
Indeed, and it looks like it in near Bristol condition! What a find! Good luck, (but I am a little disappointed in the paltry selection of photos! Hahaha - bet you were busy.) Do keep us posted. Those are lovely boats.

dj

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I wouldn’t be too worried about mold. Bristol’s are old school construction. Nothing up to that water line absorbs water. The wood was dry within an hour of being pumped out.

If there’s a smell, it was probably there before the flood. While you don’t want to see black mold, all boats have some mildew going on unless they are full time air conditioned.

Think about replacing the bunk cushions (or at least the foam). Spray and wipe down everything with this home made mildew cleaner from Practical Sailor. Costs pennies. Doesn't need to be rinsed. Let it dry on the surface and it will retard mildew from coming back. Very safe compared to most spray cleaners. Be very careful with bleach in a confined space like a boat - the fumes can burn your trachea giving you lifelong bronchitis.

1 quart hot water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons Borax
1 tablespoon TSP

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I removed all smell from my cushions after my diesel furnace malfunctioned so that it sprayed raw unburned atomized diesel into the blower air and all through the cabin. I have never smelt diesel stink so bad. I removed the covers and washed them in the laundry which was easy and affective but the foam was still rank. I put each into a large heavy duty garbage bag and used my shop vac to suck all of the air out if it so that the cushionb foam became a small hard brick. I then opened the neck of the bag and sprayed Febreze Fabric Free unscented into the bag as the foam inflated. Within a few hours there was no smell at all in the foam. It is truly amazing stuff if you do not like perfumes. Free | Febreze FABRIC

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Been working on the boat since Monday afternoon. Repaired bad connector in fresh water pump, cleaned out p/o linens etc. installed main sail, jib, and cover. Left all the canvas in cabin until next trip. Mechanic coming today to change all fluids. So far so good. Did and ozone treatment yesterday.
Does this boat still have the gear shift that uses a flat winch handle to shift and then does double duty as the main sheet winch handle on the transom?