Boom vangs

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Vangmaster. Top rated by Practical sailor. Pneumatic. Infinitely adjustable. I use a Bauer 20v inflator for adjustment. Came with the boat. Expensive.
56546_W5.jpg
1_vangmaster-u4521.png

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat has the original traditional flexible vang with the working end secured to the mast base, then through a turning block into a sheet organizer, then a coaming sheet stopper and into the cockpit for convenient trimming and easing. Used mostly for down wind and broad reach points of sail. Plan to use it for hoisting MOB aboard. Considered using it as a preventer, but instead rigged a simpler separate line.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Vangmaster. Top rated by Practical sailor. Pneumatic. Infinitely adjustable. I use a Bauer 20v inflator for adjustment. Came with the boat. Expensive.View attachment 183227View attachment 183228
Now I have vang envy! The vang pictured in the original post is mine, after I repaired it in Edgartown two years ago. It's an Offshore Spars vang. They don't make them anymore, which might be a good thing.

Vang Masters come with a pump, I guess the previous owner didn't leave it on your boat?

I want to replace mine, and I decided on a Vang Master. It seems that for this size boat they are all around $2,500, except Garhauer, who's less than half that. I wrote to the Vang Master folks and got a quote. My requirements don't exactly match any of their standard offerings, so they offered to make exactly what I need. That's what I call customer service! Good price, too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
12:1 soft vang back with boomkicker. Simple 6:1 with a 2x dyneema doubler. Double ended (back to Harken 150 cleats with high-aspect angle cages) to both sides of the companionway so can be easily adjusted/played from either side of the cockpit.

63230CDF-9980-4DB0-8CAD-83F3D7CBD756.jpeg

FC71A401-097D-481D-B6E1-2019ED78D9BC.jpeg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
We have a spring loaded rigid vang. It's sheet comes back all the way to the helm. I drape the sheet over the spinnaker winch drum along the the traveler sheet. When on a beam reach I ease the vang to add bag to the main. When beating, I'll release the topping lift, set the traveler to dead center, sheet in the main, then just the traveler to where the boom is slightly to windward, then pull the vang in. This puts the boom down and to leeward and flattens out the main..

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
I didn’t get a pump with the boat. Originally used a mountain bike high pressure shock pump. It worked but took a lot.of pumping to get 120lb psi. The inflator pumps it up in a little over a minute. Definitely a more Gucci solution for little money. Crew is happy.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
I spent a lot of time considering a Seldon rigid vang and never pulled the trigger on that purchase. I finally assembled this 6 to 1 purchase with lines leading to both sides of the cockpit.
View attachment 172001
While I couldn't effectively use the original 4 to 1 without a winch, the 6 to 1 works very well by hand. I was thinking of cascading blocks for either 8 to 1 or even 12 to 1. Found out that 6 to 1 is suitable and, for that, I'm happy.
What's your mains'l size? 164sq.ft on my C&C needs the winch w/4:1 so I'm planning on a 12:1 based off of what you got there.

Nov 8, 2010
What's your mains'l size? 164sq.ft on my C&C needs the winch w/4:1 so I'm planning on a 12:1 based off of what you got there.
BlueJ is 230 sqr/ft, and the 12:1 is plenty. And we work the vang HARD.

I tell my crew, if you need to, place your feet against the bulkhead and pull with your legs. Really.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
So, then I should be able to pull with one hand while seated single-handing!
Is that a knife taped to your boomkicker? You got pirates up there?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
So, then I should be able to pull with one hand while seated single-handing!
Is that a knife taped to your boomkicker? You got pirates up there?
Safety.

We require all crew to carry one when racing, but there are two attached to the boat at all times. One there, and an identical one lashed to the tiller.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Starwind 27 mainsail is 181 sf. The 2 boats are very similar in dimensions. Starwind 27 has a little bigger mainsail, little smaller headsail comparatively to C&C 27. I thought 6:1 was good. If you start with 6:1, it would be easy to cascade to 12:1 if desired. That was my thinking before we sold the boat.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
12:1 soft vang back with boomkicker. Simple 6:1 with a 2x dyneema doubler. Double ended (back to Harken 150 cleats with high-aspect angle cages) to both sides of the companionway so can be easily adjusted/played from either side of the cockpit.
What block you using on the cascade?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I'm breaking a running rigging rule, but I used a nylon line in the fiddle blocks to help absorb shocks from jibes to try keep expensive parts on the vang from breaking in the future. The little bit of stretch under load will not affect mainsail shape enough to worry about. Other lines coiled at the mast, red is the topping lift, the green line is outhaul and Cunningham, white is the whisker pole halyard.
You might install a boom brake, Gyb’Easy, from Wichard, to do that. No more “hard gybes” with proper adjustment.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I've a Rodkicker with gas spring and a 4:1 Vang much like what Bill has.
Use for flattening sail on strong wind and create draft when on light wind.

Ken Y

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
While the racing sailor will actively adjust the vang off the wind, for a cruising sailor its function is just to keep the boom from rising when running. I'm a conscientious sail trimmer but I'll cruise a summer season with touching the vang, as the mainsheet alone is an adequate trimming tool.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
While the racing sailor will actively adjust the vang off the wind, for a cruising sailor its function is just to keep the boom from rising when running. I'm a conscientious sail trimmer but I'll cruise a summer season with touching the vang, as the mainstream alone is an adequate trimming tool.
With a broad brush statement such as this, can we also say the racers don't know how to or never use an anchor?

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
With a broad brush statement such as this, can we also say the racers don't know how to or never use an anchor?
Absolutely not. In many years of competitive PHRF and one design racing we have numerous occasions to deploy the anchor in situations where current speed exceeded wind pressure. Anyone racing in a tidal area needs to be anchor capable.

My statement is that as a racer when cruising with white sails, there is little performance benefit when reaching from solely adjusting the vang for mainsail twist. If you are FIRST adjusting jib twist by moving the block forward and out, then adjusting main twist AFTER having corrected jib twist, well good on ya that's being conscientious, we're just relaxing.

I see no logic to trimming the vang when closehauled.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I see no logic to trimming the vang when closehauled.
This is only true if your boat has a good traveler. One of my previous boats had an end boom sheet and a traveler that was about 6" long and almost impossible to move under load. On that boat I used vang sheeting to control angle of attack and twist. In this case, the vang set the amount of twist and the sheet was used to set the angle of attack. On my current boat which is mid-boom sheeted with a 5:1 traveler that runs very smoothly, I set twist with the main sheet and angle of attack with the traveler.