Boatless Summer?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
happy, happy, Happy, HAppy, HAPpy, HAPPy, HAPPY Birthday...

No way I can print Happy that many years....
CHEERS..:beer:

Feb 15, 2017
Formosa 41 Key West, FL
There are some changes in the Rhode Island guidance to marinas yacht clubs and harbor masters.

Here is a link to the guidance from April, 3rd:

The following is a revised guidance from the RI Department of Environmental Management from April 8th:

The important change is in number 4 of the five guidances.

April, 3rd:
4. Limit use of facilities to seasonal slip holders only. Use of facilities by transients and out of state
boaters should be prohibited.

April, 8th:
Limit use of facilities to RI resident seasonal slip holders only. Use of facilities by transients and out of state boaters is prohibited.

So, the RI DEM changed #4 and although under the heading of a “guidance” is prohibiting transients and out of state boaters from using RI yacht clubs and marinas.

With this said here is a bullet point from a marina in Cowesett, RI:

• Out of state residents MAY NOT come into a Rhode Island yard to work on their boat unless they are prepared to quarantine aboard the vessel for 14 days

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
jason flare - I saw all of those changes last night including the email from Cowesett, RI.

My opinion: This whole 14 day quarantine thing originated from the federal requirement for people arriving from outside of the USA. Since the USA has no control over visitors and their associations with people from other countries, this 14 day quarantine makes sense.

But now states are using this 14 day quarantine for people coming from other states. I realize the danger of having someone enter your state from a particular hotspot, like NYC, and because 100% of the citizens are not following the SAH order, there is no way to tell if a person entering your state has associated with an infected person.

This is obviously frustrating.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Sorry to hear about the many that are bagging their boating season due to this virus. At this point I haven't even called the yard where she's stored to see what their plans are.
A friend is trying to move their boat up the ICW & having a tough time finding transient slips along the way.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
The boat sits on it's trailer in the yard. I can always go sit in her and have a beer. Just need to get someone to rock the boat a little. I don't launch til May anyway, so there may still be a season. At 73, I don't have that many seasons left. Out dam spot!!!

Feb 15, 2017
Formosa 41 Key West, FL
jason flare - I saw all of those changes last night including the email from Cowesett, RI.

My opinion: This whole 14 day quarantine thing originated from the federal requirement for people arriving from outside of the USA. Since the USA has no control over visitors and their associations with people from other countries, this 14 day quarantine makes sense.

But now states are using this 14 day quarantine for people coming from other states. I realize the danger of having someone enter your state from a particular hotspot, like NYC, and because 100% of the citizens are not following the SAH order, there is no way to tell if a person entering your state has associated with an infected person.

This is obviously frustrating.
In my opinion the 14 day quarantine makes sense.

Many states have asked that people arriving from out of state quarantine themselves for 14 days. I believe, (but am not positive,) that there are electronic signs along the highways informing everyone that travelers from out of state who intend to remain in the state to quarantine for 14 days.

A key element of the 14 day quarantine is to stay in your home or on your boat for 14 days if you intend to remain in the state. (After the 14 day quarantine you would be free to move about the state while maintaining social distancing.)

What the 14 day quarantine seems to miss is the circumstance where someone comes in from a hotspot like NYC quarantines for a few days and then returns to NY. I would think the state would be thrilled to see them leave the state.

If we apply this to boaters instead of NYC residents what exists to stop a boater from MA from visittheir boat in RI for a few days and then decide to return home? I would think the .gov of R.I. would be happy they left.

I personally am doing everything I feel necessary to keep myself from being infected and if I’m infected and asymptomatic everything necessary to not infect other people. With this said I see no reason not to be able to safely travel to RI to work on my boat and return to MA without coming in close contact with anyone. If I decided to have my boat launched and remain in R.I. I would quarantine for the number of days remaining to achieve the desired 14 days. After that I would go grocery shopping if I needed to.

edit to add: The 14 day quarantine makes sense to me because you can have the virus and spread it for about 14 days before showing symptoms.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I just got this update from one of my sailing friends who keeps their sailboat at Bristol Marine in RI. I was at Bristol for 16 years and last year I moved to a different yard for a variety of reasons. So Bristol just sent this to all of their customers. BTW, my friend who sent me this lives in MA near me and as such is an out-of-state customer with Bristol.

AN IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL BRISTOL YARD CUSTOMERS:

Thank you for your patience as we continue to adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic. We realize that some of these changes have impacted your plans and schedules. Unfortunately, as things are changing so rapidly, we've needed to move quickly so that we can prioritize the safety of those in our yard. We are trying to communicate through emails (like this one) as changes are made, so please continue to check regularly for updates.

Recent internal policy changes have been implemented to help our employees reduce the risk of exposure to themselves and others. For the foreseeable future, all employees will be wearing covers over their faces, eye protection and gloves while working at the yard. They've also pledged to continue safe practices while at and away from work. With all these changes we've made, our employees will not feel safe unless we get a commitment by customers and other visitors to our yard. Therefore, effective immediately, we will be implementing the following additional safety measures:

Boat owners cannot enter the boat yard until 2 weeks before their launch date. For example, an owner who has signed up for a launch week of 4/27/20 will not be allowed into the yard for work until the week of 4/13/2020. By doing this, the total number of people in the yard will be reduced so that social distancing can safely be maintained. If unsure of your launch date, please contact the office (marilyn@bristolmarine.com) before coming to the yard. We do not like denying customers access to the yard, and it is particularly difficult doing so in person, so please check in before heading our way to avoid frustration. Also, access into the yard is only permitted through the main entry so that it can be properly monitored.

Access hours to the yard will be reduced to evenings and weekends. Because of limited parking and tight quarters at the yard, customer access will be allowed only after 4pm from Monday through Friday, and 6am-6pm on weekends. Remember that bathrooms and buildings will be closed and locked, so please plan accordingly.

Per Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo's order last week, "any person coming to Rhode Island from another state for a non-work-related purpose must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days". Boat owners currently living outside of Rhode Island are therefore not allowed to come to Bristol to work on their boats. Those who fall into this category are encouraged to reach out to our office and discuss options for their boats at least 3 weeks before their launch date.

"Do-It-Yourselfers" must finish their work completely, and follow these specific steps for safety, before we can schedule a launch. In order to reduce exposure while on these boats, they must be left in a condition that minimizes our employees' contact with the boat and personal effects on board. Therefore, if you have ANY involvement with the prep on your boat (including simply getting on and off of it), the following steps must be taken:

All seacocks must be left in the closed position, and their coverings must be removed or opened (floorboards, hatches, etc) to leave them visible. Access hatches to the shaft and/or rudder stuffing boxes and main bilge must also be left open. This will allow our employees to do our post-launch leak check with minimal exposure. If there are leaks that cannot be easily remedied, we will be required to haul the boat back out of the water (as usual).
Door and companionway access inside the cabin must be left unlocked. Combo or key locks should be removed completely.
Boat should be left tidy, with lines and fenders connected (if needed to get the boat to its slip or mooring).
Access ladders are to be removed from the premises.
Once steps 1-4 have been completed, please send an email or place a call to your normal point of contact. If unsure, email marilyn@bristolmarine.com. Once we receive this update, we will schedule your launch. If you are not able to launch on your expected date for whatever reason, please also reach out to Marilyn in advance of your launch date so that we can help plan accordingly.

Those who have hired Bristol Marine to do some (but not all) of their work must leave the boat safe to work and not return for a minimum of 4 days before our techs can begin work. There must be a gap of time between owners and employees on boats. Once owners have done all they can do, they should sanitize their boats, tidy up and then please contact marilyn@bristolmarine.com with an update so we can schedule work. This extra time may impact the launch schedule, so please plan accordingly.

All boat owners must wait for approval by the Bristol Marine office before accessing their boats. Whether Bristol Marine is just launching or is also commissioning and performing other services, we must give our techs time to safely complete their work. The boats will not be "ready for pickup" until the office calls or emails with an approved hand-off. Please do not expect to hop on the boat shortly after launch, and cause undue stress on yourself and employees. If you are unsure of the status of your boat, please just check in before making plans to use the boat. We will do our best to update you regularly.

We understand that these are drastic changes in policy from a "normal" spring, and they will require extra patience and cooperation by everyone. Our Bristol yard was built with the help of "hands-on" boat owners, and to limit access is a hard but necessary measure to take. These rules are put in effect so that we can safely work together and maintain the hope of enjoying our boats on the water. Thanks for your help and please contact us if you have any questions or comments.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Happy Birthday Dave!

This Covid 19 has really but a damper on everyone's plans. I got this a week ago from my marina:

Dear Marina Patrons,

Thank you for choosing Pope’s Island Marina as your home port. We hope this email finds you and your families safe and healthy.

With the growing number of COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts and nationwide, Governor Baker has extended the social distancing guidelines and closure of non-essential businesses until May 4th. Following those orders, and to ensure a safe environment for our customers, guests and marina staff, we will be postponing our opening date until the order is lifted. The date is subject to change pending any further state or federal guidelines extensions.

We thank you for your patronage and your patience as we collectively deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be certain to update you if and when the situation changes.

Please call or email me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you again for your understanding and cooperation, and please stay healthy and safe!

Like you Rich, I'm not sure we'll have much if any season. I'm not rushing to splash and probably will decide to sit this season out also. Truth is I don't see this going away until a vaccine is developed and even then it will take some time for it to be produced in a volume large enough to inoculate the general public. A real :poop: situation! Be safe everyone!!!

Feb 15, 2017
Formosa 41 Key West, FL
Happy Birthday Dave!

This Covid 19 has really but a damper on everyone's plans. I got this a week ago from my marina:

Dear Marina Patrons,

Thank you for choosing Pope’s Island Marina as your home port. We hope this email finds you and your families safe and healthy.

With the growing number of COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts and nationwide, Governor Baker has extended the social distancing guidelines and closure of non-essential businesses until May 4th. Following those orders, and to ensure a safe environment for our customers, guests and marina staff, we will be postponing our opening date until the order is lifted. The date is subject to change pending any further state or federal guidelines extensions.

We thank you for your patronage and your patience as we collectively deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be certain to update you if and when the situation changes.

Please call or email me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you again for your understanding and cooperation, and please stay healthy and safe!

Like you Rich, I'm not sure we'll have much if any season. I'm not rushing to splash and probably will decide to sit this season out also. Truth is I don't see this going away until a vaccine is developed and even then it will take some time for it to be produced in a volume large enough to inoculate the general public. A real :poop: situation! Be safe everyone!!!
I hadn’t looked at Gov. Baker’s list of essential services yet but I looked it up and here it is:

It looks like marinas will not be allowed to work with recreational boats and boaters.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
Here in the wilds of Michigan (the Great Lakes state) our governor, Gretchen Whitmer, has deemed it necessary that no one is allowed on the Great Lakes or any inland lake in a vessel with an engine or motor. Somehow being on the water in a boat violates the social distancing edict she has proclaimed. Of course it is a tenet of safe boating to avoid other boats but she somehow believes that boaters will gather in mad cap groups to just be near each other. Pretty sure the first word in COLREGS is "collision". In other words a codified list of rules to avoid each other while on the water. Whitmer wishes to be the nations V.P. This will surely get her the national attention she craves. Sadly Michigan boaters pay the price for her ambitions.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Today's my birthday. What a way to celebrate a birthday.
Happy Birthday, Dave. Best wishes.

Unfortunate that we have some bureaucrat decide what businesses are considered essential. Usually results in a one size fits all based on an opinion. We have people who depend on the YMCA for health fitness, yet someone decided it was non-essential. Go figure.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Unfortunate that we have some bureaucrat decide what businesses are considered essential. Usually results in a one size fits all based on an opinion.
While I agree with the one size fits all part and it is frustrating in the extreme to be the ones who have to live daily with these decisions, it isn't just one person's opinion. They generally ask for and listen, as best as they can, to recognize experts in the field. There is never likely to be a time when a regulation aimed at the "greater good" fits everyone. I have no doubt that those people making these monumental decisions believes they are working for everyone's well being. No one wants to do a poor job; no one goes into to work saying to themselves, "I'm not going to do a good job today."

I would make a far better president or administrator than any of the ones I've had to listen to, live with the decisions from, or deal with :liar:, but I'm not jumping forward to dive into that cesspool. They have my gratitude for being willing to put up with and sort through the :poop:. It needs to be done. As much as we may not like government, at this point in our history, life would be miserable without it.

Back to the Boatless Summer. My frustrations are, I recognize, not quite on a level with most of you. I just don't have the time to walk out to my driveway and do much more than look at my two boats. This stay at home edict isn't giving me the extra time I'd hoped for. Instead, it's Spring on a homestead farm. Lots of repairs and projects to keep us in production, heat, electric, food.

I did drain the melted ice from my cockpit; I didn't get a tarp over my boat before the early snow covered her last Fall. I tried clearing the undersized cockpit scupper hoses and both thru-hulls fell apart in my hands. It did drain better after that.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........So, is there anyone beside me that is thinking that it would be better to just stay on the hard this summer?
Boat is not on the hard, since it is in the water year road, so sailing out and back or anchor at a destination as long as we are social distancing.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I looked at the list. I can't imagine some business that wants to stay open can't find a place in there. It's not enforceable is it? I think most businesses that close prefer closing to cut expenses when there won't be enough customers anyway. Marinas may be an exception. In Florida they closed marinas to prevent sand bar parties that would violate social distancing. I think they've re-opened the launch ramps during the week. If that makes sense. What's the difference between a weekday or weekend when no one is going to work anyway. "We're all in this together ..." :puke:

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Regardless of anyone's belief that the responses to this virus by the states and the marinas may be excessively cautious, the reality is that those are the policies and rules that we need to live with. As an out-of-state boater in RI, the difficulty in dealing with the policies put in place by the marinas have eliminated me from sailing this summer.
My mooring marina is issuing me a refund for the partial payment that I have made on the summer mooring. I have told my storage marina that I will be storing for this summer and next winter. I will remove my winter cover leaving the framework intact and re-install the cover in the fall in order to protect the cover from the damaging effect of the summer sun. Now I need to contact my insurance company and see if a reduced premium is possible since the boat will not be in the water.
This is depressing.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have a boat on the hard on LI while I live in Florida. I did get the insurance down to just liability - required by the marina. You may want more coverage but you need to have that conversation with your insurance company. They didn't like reducing mine - but they did. I then called the INSCO direct and got more coverages taken off.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I've recently inherreted 10 acres. We have been planning on selling it, but I have to say the more that time goes on, I keep thinking I would do well to keep it and build a 5 acre lake on it. At least I could putt around on my Phantom and have a little bit of fun.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't really know where you are but an isolation cabin might be a good idea. This won't be the last pandemic.