Boatless Summer?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It is now April 1st.

My two boatyards (storage and mooring) are currently open in RI, but neither of them has any clue as to future restrictions. Can anyone suggest a reason that boatyards and marinas would be considered "essential" and be allowed to stay open with boaters socializing and congregating? My mooring yard runs a launch which for us is essential and they tell me they may limit passengers to maybe 3 at a time. For a field of 90 moorings that would cause lots of delays.

From my perspective, it looks like the earliest I could get to my yard to uncover and do all of the commissioning work would be early May. Given that projections are for this virus to peak between 1 and 3 weeks from now, even early May looks doubtful. So If I am looking at a June launching and then a 4 1/2 month sailing season at most, I am questioning if this is even worth all of the work to uncover, commission, clean the boat, deal with the damn seagulls dropping fish and crab remnants as well as liberal excrement as well, bad weather that always takes out a few weeks over the summer, and then having to decommission with all of the associated expenses and re-cover?

Then assuming that we do launch, where can we go? It would not surprise me to have Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and many other ports closed to boaters. Even if you are allowed to go onshore, what might be the status of the restaurant and shops? This is depressing.

And my wife and I are over 70 and that puts us in the highest risk group. Will there be a "second wave" after social distancing is relaxed? Anything is possible.

So, is there anyone beside me that is thinking that it would be better to just stay on the hard this summer?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
IMO I sincerely doubt that there will be any real peak and then drop until 60% of the population can be inoculated with a vaccine. There are still way too many like the guy who posted 'Social Distancing Boredom' who just don't seem to get the whole idea of social distancing and isolation.
There are still state and federal officials, clergy and other powerful people blowing off the experts' recommendations and insisting it is OK to go to church, have large functions and go to meetings. Over 1000 Americans reportedly died from C-19 today and we all know that there may be nearly as many unreported as C-19 deaths in retirement homes, etc.
I'd not launch my boat if it was on the hard and just resign myself to living as comfortably as possible under the conditions the experts recommend. I'm also over 70 and saw this mess coming a few months back. I haven't been ashore in over a month and I really don't mind. I've been on voyages that lasted longer than this, so I'm far from having a problem.
Find things to do around your home and keep as active as possible within the confines that will keep you safe.
Good luck.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While I'm not quite as old as you guys (I still have another 105 weeks to reach 70, but who's counting), I think the issue how you act at the marina and on your boat more than whether the boat is in the water. We'll launch our boat in May or June. Where we go and what we do are still up in the air. Certainly while at the marina we'll practice social distancing and we won't invite others onto our boat. And it is likely we won't travel to other marinas until the situation is much better. We may end up just day sailing, but that is a whole lot better than sitting home watching the grass grow.

Frankly, I think hanging out at the marina is less risky than going to the grocery store, if for no other reason than there is considerably more air circulation at the marina reducing the chances of coming in contact with the virus.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
capta, most people here in ohio are laying low. i have a bud that drives truck for a company that is suppling basic needs. he runs all over the lower 48. he told me that there is very little car traffic on the nations highways. people are for the most part are laying low. most people get it.
the world has changed forever. most people are good people. we are trying. all the factories are closed here. the economy is dead. hope, faith, and love is the best we can do.
see you all on the other side.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I think hanging out at the marina is less risky than going to the grocery store
Several order of magnitude safer in the marina. It's doubtful anyone has touched your boat.
In the grocery store how many people have touched:

- the cart you're using
- the canned products you pick up
- the produce you eat but don't wash with soap and water beforehand
- the poly bags of bread
- the liquor bottles
- the frozen food locker handles
- and pretty well everything else in the store

I honestly can't think of a more dangerous place to be other than an Italian wedding. And no remarks .............. I'm part Italian :pimp:.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
While I'm not quite as old as you guys (I still have another 105 weeks to reach 70, but who's counting), I think the issue how you act at the marina and on your boat more than whether the boat is in the water. We'll launch our boat in May or June. Where we go and what we do are still up in the air. Certainly while at the marina we'll practice social distancing and we won't invite others onto our boat. And it is likely we won't travel to other marinas until the situation is much better. We may end up just day sailing, but that is a whole lot better than sitting home watching the grass grow.

Frankly, I think hanging out at the marina is less risky than going to the grocery store, if for no other reason than there is considerably more air circulation at the marina reducing the chances of coming in contact with the virus.
In my mind, it's not really about the time in the marina, but the time spent at gas stations or getting parts to keep things on the boat operating, etc. Staying home and only going out when absolutely necessary minimizes the chance of contracting the virus, IMO, and that's my goal.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
So, is there anyone beside me that is thinking that it would be better to just stay on the hard this summer?
We are not on the hard but are not quite ready to go. Still working on the boat: it's 3 Km from home, was down today and saw no-one. I'm thinking that if I stock up at home and sail for a couple of weeks without going to marinas I'm still social distancing. Spring update from one of our favourite marinas says that they will be open (fuel and groceries makes them essential service) and will deliver if you anchor out near them. We are thinking that if we are on the boat and don't go ashore then we are isolated. We could come home every couple of weeks to restock . We'll see what the powers that be say! Also in our middle 70's

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am having my hatch solar screens redone. My boat has been cleaned inside and out.
New 16KBTU AC installed.
Engines serviced.

I just put in my veggie garden, cleaned the pool, and other landlubber tasks.

I don't care if we just motor cruise the inland rivers.
Lifts spirits, sunshine, fresh air and some cold beer.:biggrin::biggrin:

For prevention, do as the British do in tropical climates.
Gin and Tonic.

Guess what is in Tonic water?
Jim...

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It is now April 1st.

My two boatyards (storage and mooring) are currently open in RI, but neither of them has any clue as to future restrictions. Can anyone suggest a reason that boatyards and marinas would be considered "essential" and be allowed to stay open with boaters socializing and congregating? My mooring yard runs a launch which for us is essential and they tell me they may limit passengers to maybe 3 at a time. For a field of 90 moorings that would cause lots of delays.

From my perspective, it looks like the earliest I could get to my yard to uncover and do all of the commissioning work would be early May. Given that projections are for this virus to peak between 1 and 3 weeks from now, even early May looks doubtful. So If I am looking at a June launching and then a 4 1/2 month sailing season at most, I am questioning if this is even worth all of the work to uncover, commission, clean the boat, deal with the damn seagulls dropping fish and crab remnants as well as liberal excrement as well, bad weather that always takes out a few weeks over the summer, and then having to decommission with all of the associated expenses and re-cover?

Then assuming that we do launch, where can we go? It would not surprise me to have Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and many other ports closed to boaters. Even if you are allowed to go onshore, what might be the status of the restaurant and shops? This is depressing.

And my wife and I are over 70 and that puts us in the highest risk group. Will there be a "second wave" after social distancing is relaxed? Anything is possible.

Excellent points. Right now, I am still planning to launch, primarily because I need to pull the mast this year for maintenance. We are at a slip all summer and we also have a mooring that we can "cruise" to, within sight of the slip. So we'll wait and see what happens. Plans can definitely change. If the restaurants are allowed to reopen then I suspect that BI and the Vineyard will allow boats in. After all, they depend on summer tourism to survive. But, we'll see.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It is now April 1st.

Rich, an interesting local perspective. Your post reminds me; we all share a similar passion but there is a broad range in our access to that passion.

Our harbor is primarily a working harbor. Rec. boats outnumber work boats but the working aspect rules in most fronts including an essential designation to protect fishing.

There isn't anything in my harbor that I would consider a 'marina', now that you mention it. Boats are hauled and launched seasonally, mostly via hydraulic trailers from inland that transport boats stored at inland boat yards and private residences.

A close second in numbers are launched at the only boatyard. Most of those boats are stored there and while they have docks I wouldn't consider it a marina if only for lack of simple amenities like showers, etc. This boatyard also hauls fishing boats for repairs during season.

So the harbor will stay open but as far as the people that drive the harbor activity, I haven't a clue how that will work out. Although the boat yard is launching the last docks and prepping for the season, I wouldn't be surprised if it decided to close if the health risks become unmanageable. Perhaps many owners will opted for staying in storage, lightening the load, to allow a smaller crew, working safely, to make season 2020, a half season?

The inland supply of boat launchings could go on - safely - all season. One man can drive a truck, another (owner or helper second vehicle) assist from around a boat to load, and the process reverse at the launch ramp.

Fishing is already underway but it may well slow to little activity, that may be the economy that has no demand, not the virus, that shuts it down.

So to answer your last question: So, is there anyone beside me that is thinking that it would be better to just stay on the hard this summer?

I'm patiently waiting and expecting things to get worse, then improve. I have no idea of the timing so, yes, season 2020 for me, could be right here.

Under cover 2020.jpg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Here I sit ont the horns of a dilemma...
Its not certain that I will even be able to get into the boatyard to uncover and do the usual prelaunch prep work.
If I could launch, its just a short run downriver to get to my place. I seawall tie behind my home.
(The governor reportedly just extended the stay in place order to June 13, and according to my brother, even lawn services are not considered to be essential, but thats another story.)

1. If travel restrictions get really stringent, I may not even be allowed to make the 1000 mile trip to my summer place. I would opt to make that trip in one shot, because I would avoid staying in a hotel along the way.

2. Right now, I am leaning heavily toward not launching, and not even going north if I cannot use the boat. To make matters worse, the golf courses up there are reportedly closed.

3. At 74 years old, I too, fall into the higher risk group, but I would feel a lot safer working on my boat in northern Michigan than going to the grocery store during “senior hours” with a bunch of older, high risk people here in eastern Virginia..

4. I hate Virginia summers, and I hate Michigan winters. I really don’t want to be stuck in either location in the wrong season.

jimh2

Nov 17, 2018
Compac 27 Steele Creek Marina Kerr Lake
My marina is on a large lake on the North Carolina and Virginia border. I was told, whether right or wrong, that the docks would stay open because we lease the slips, it is our property and that the boats in them are our private property. They have closed all the public facilities associated with the marina but the docks are open. Don't know how legitimate the answer is, just glad I can social distance by sailing ---- much like I have always done!