Boatless Summer?

Feb 15, 2017
Formosa 41 Key West, FL
Rich,

The important difference between your mooring marina and Bristol Marine is that Bristol Marine is not forbidding out of state owners and venders from accessing their boats.

I think Bristol Marine’s new policies are reasonable, although I would expect a separate bathroom or portapotty for customers with the responsibility to disinfect left up to each individual.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It is now April 1st. And my wife and I are over 70 and that puts us in the highest risk group. Will there be a "second wave" after social distancing is relaxed? Anything is possible.
What I saw on tv news was 40-50 are the highest death rate.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have made the decision to remain out until the summer of 2021. I've requested a refund from my RI mooring marina since they are not allowing out-of-state customers - I live in MA. I will obtain storage from my current storage marina. I will see if I can get a reduction in my yacht insurance since I won't be in the water.
I'm bummed out.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Don’t confuse the raw number of deaths with the mortality rate. There are more 40-50 year olds in the population, so there may be more deaths in that age range, but the mortality rate - the percentage of infected people killed by the disease - increases very substantially with age. See, for example, these numbers from Italy - Italy: coronavirus deaths by age 2020 | Statista.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Rich, sorry to hear about your boatless summer. Song of the Sea is on her mooring with new bottom paint awaiting things to calm down a little. I imagine I'll be able to sail in a month or so but will have to wait until our "home or work" order is lifted in SC. I could probably get by with sailing now but with my wife's risk factors, we are making doubly sure that I don't expose her so I'm staying home too. I feel confident that by later this summer and certainly this fall I'll be back on the water. Our best sailing is spring and fall anyway. I'll have missed spring but feel confident fall sailing will be greatly enjoyed.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Interesting to read about the diversity of opinion and local infrastructure rules in effect and anticipated.

For us in Florida, the consideration to launch or not is a moot point and boats are considered a second home in the context of tax rules. Marinas here are certainly not as busy as the typical winter but ‘life goes on’ (so far) and there are lots of boaters taking advantage of the weather now. About the only real limitation is for those wanting to head toward the islands facing quarantine once they get there. Parts supply stores are open and maintenance, repair and fitters are still in business.

Saw a sign on one boat - “no shoes, no shirt, no mask - no boarding”

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
interesting...in Indiana, 80+ is the age group with the highest mortality rate... about 30% IIRC. My age group (50-60) is running about 7%.

Jan 7, 2011
I have made the decision to remain out until the summer of 2021. I've requested a refund from my RI mooring marina since they are not allowing out-of-state customers - I live in MA. I will obtain storage from my current storage marina. I will see if I can get a reduction in my yacht insurance since I won't be in the water.
I'm bummed out.
My boat is in the water, but I am having it pulled out tomorrow:-(.

Marina is closed, and they won’t anyone in to work on or in my case, access my boat. Not feeling great about leaving it in the water indefinitely with no way to check on her.

bummer. But hey, on a positive note, I scored a 6-pack of TP today :poop:

Greg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My boat is in the water, but I am having it pulled out tomorrow:-(.

Marina is closed, and they won’t anyone in to work on or in my case, access my boat. Not feeling great about leaving it in the water indefinitely with no way to check on her.

bummer. But hey, on a positive note, I scored a 6-pack of TP today :poop:

Greg
Sorry to learn that Greg. But that is yet another fear that I have should I find some way to commission and launch.

I also have a positive: I have all my commissioning supplies in hand now for next year.

gards

Sep 10, 2005
Beneteau 311 Lake Travis, TX.
Here in Texas, our lake is still open although social distancing is required. So I can get to my boat and can sail. But no passengers and no raft-ups. So feeling pretty lucky all in all.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Here in Texas, our lake is still open although social distancing is required. So I can get to my boat and can sail. But no passengers and no raft-ups. So feeling pretty lucky all in all.
Me too! Same form the Texas Coast.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Obviously situations are not equal everywhere. And I wouldn't expect equality because there are higher cases of the virus in different places. My county in MA is third in the state population percentage wise. RI is estimated to be in the top 15 to get worse.

Regardless, it is what it is, and one can only react to what they believe is their best interest. There are many factors at play- where you live, where you boat, your age, pre-existing health conditions, etc.

More of a concern to me than the loss of a summer sailing is the hardship being suffered by all those who need to work and pay mortgages, taxes, buy food, and deal with medical issues. Unemployment insurance really doesn't cut it. And the $1200 stimulus is just a one-shot deal that will help, but in no way replaces a real working income. The list goes on and on. Unless our population really pulls together for our collective benefit to beat this virus, I think our economy and way of life will undergo a massive change. And critical to our future well-being is the development of an effective vaccine to protect us. Dis-mounting soap box....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
EDIT: In the morning Annapolis paper they have the day's figures updated. I was referring to the NUMBER OF deaths.
20-29, 505
30-39. 773
40-49, 795
50-59, 891
60-69,643
70-79, 445

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
EDIT: In the morning Annapolis paper they have the day's figures updated. I was referring to the NUMBER OF deaths.
20-29, 505
30-39. 773
40-49, 795
50-59, 891
60-69,643
70-79, 445
Is that for a given area?
there could be a lot of factors. Are all areas using the Malaria drug? In our area I at least know of one hospital that is. My boss's mom who was in her 80s was given the drug, which turned her around rather quickly. I have no idea how they decide who gets the drug or if everyone does.

Jan 7, 2011
Sorry to learn that Greg. But that is yet another fear that I have should I find some way to commission and launch.

I also have a positive: I have all my commissioning supplies in hand now for next year.
She is out...and I will sleep better for now.

Learned today that 2 other marinas about 45 miles from mine are OPEN...that may be the most frustrating part.

But hey, the bottom was nice and clean...didn’t even need to power wash it when they pulled her out :banghead:
8F3E3B2E-6A39-4177-9E5B-77CF22138FC6.png

Cheers,

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This afternoon I learned NY has declared marinas to be nonessential businesses at least until April 29th.

We had planned to sail out the St. Lawrence and then to the Bahamas this June. Then the US-Canadian Border closed. And then a week ago the St. Lawrence Seaway closed to pleasure craft. And today the marina closed.

Today's my birthday. What a way to celebrate a birthday. :confused:

Maybe next year.