Boatless Summer?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I've recently inherreted 10 acres. We have been planning on selling it, but I have to say the more that time goes on, I keep thinking I would do well to keep it and build a 5 acre lake on it. At least I could putt around on my Phantom and have a little bit of fun.
You might want to consider a small farm to raise food for your family.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
This afternoon I learned NY has declared marinas to be nonessential businesses at least until April 29th.

We had planned to sail out the St. Lawrence and then to the Bahamas this June. Then the US-Canadian Border closed. And then a week ago the St. Lawrence Seaway closed to pleasure craft. And today the marina closed.

Today's my birthday. What a way to celebrate a birthday. :confused:

Maybe next year.
Happy Birthday, Dave! I feel your pain! Maine marinas are closed,except for commercial fishing; I can't even go to Escape to cry...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well things are starting to look up!

I received an email today from my marina, announcing that they will open on Saturday, with certain restrictions...but I will be able to get back to my boat. Really a shame I hauled it last week.

But we had snow today, and more predicted on Saturday...so I didn’t miss too much sailing opportunity.

REALLY excited to get the boat back i the water.

Greg

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I know many people are going through hardships that are much much worse than what my family is going through, we are working from home and are safe. But the words below are all about me.....

Received a notice from our Sailing Club this morning, it is closed until May 12th, on orders from the Province of Ontario. My winter cover is still on, but my new batteries are installed, bottom painted (last year) and hull buffed and waxed (last year). Didn't put in last year due to high water on Lake Ontario. My work was supposed to take me across the world for the summer and the water was too high in the spring. Job was postponed numerous times and I lost my sailing season. Now this!!!
So I anticipate that I may be able to launch mid May, before the water rises and the the travel lift is closed for safety reasons. Next opportunity would be early July if last year was indicative of what this year will be.
Two years without sailing? I don't even want to think about it. Our club members did a lot of work over the winter prepping some of the seawalls and docks, but we had to stop due to weather and the shutdown. Now everything just sits there, with the gates locked.
We have about 20 boats in the water right now, early birds, but they are not allowed in the gates to check on their boats....I wouldn't want that either.
Boatless summer? I hope not.

Stay safe
dj

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Our marina is open and I've noticed that boats are moving around. A couple of transients in Lyall Harbour the other day and 8 in Winter Cove. Not sure if the people came ashore or not. National and Provincial Park trails are open but the parking lots are not ( go figure ). I was talking to the Park Ranger at the marina yesterday and was told I can visit the parks by boat and anchor but not use the mooring cans ( he didn't understand that either ).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like that you are seeing activity in Lyall Harbour and Winter Cove.
There still appears to be a silent wall along the 49th parallel.

Have not heard any lifting of the 14 day quarantine in harbour after contacting CBSA.

COVID-19 update: April 15, 2020
CBSA has now reduced service at some low-traffic land border crossings. Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice.
If you are a traveller returning to Canada, you must confirm at the border that you have a suitable place to quarantine for 14 days. If you develop a fever, a cough or difficulty breathing, call a health care professional or public health authority. For the latest and most up-to-date information, visit Canada.ca/coronavirus or contact the coronavirus information line at 1-833-784-4397.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I like that you are seeing activity in Lyall Harbour and Winter Cove.
There still appears to be a silent wall along the 49th parallel.

Have not heard any lifting of the 14 day quarantine in harbour after contacting CBSA.

COVID-19 update: April 15, 2020
CBSA has now reduced service at some low-traffic land border crossings. Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice.
If you are a traveller returning to Canada, you must confirm at the border that you have a suitable place to quarantine for 14 days. If you develop a fever, a cough or difficulty breathing, call a health care professional or public health authority. For the latest and most up-to-date information, visit Canada.ca/coronavirus or contact the coronavirus information line at 1-833-784-4397.
The US and Canadian federal governments made a joint decision to halt all “non-essential” border crossings that would have expired on April 21st

That original joint agreement was extended by 30 days so it remains in effect.

It doesn’t matter what individual states or provinces do with regard to “managing” their locales the border is closed for “non-essential” things such as recreational boating.

I suppose either or both federal governments might decide to alter that agreement but I wouldn’t hold your breathe on that one.

IMHO that 30 day extension will likely be extended again as there is very little political pressure to change it. Essential cross border trade hasn’t stopped, Medical personnel can continue to move back and forth as they did before so that leaves tourism. Not as many people want to travel for all the obvious reasons so why take the risk.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Formosa 41 Key West, FL
RI DEM has revised the guidance for marinas, yacht clubs and harbor masters.

I don’t know how to post it here but the guidance went from, “Out of state boaters must quarantine for 14 days/ no out of state boaters allowed in marinas.” to, “Out of state boaters can come into RI to work on their boats but must go straight home when they’re done.”

So, Mrs. Flare and I went from MA to our boat in RI on Sunday. No one at the border on 146 stopping out of state cars.

A barrel and a cone at the entrance to the marina. Barrel had an 8 1/2”x 11” piece of paper taped to it with a copy of a guidance from the dept. of health.

We worked on the boat Sunday and Monday and headed home around 1700.

No hassles from anybody.