boat shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
I vote with the timberland crowd. Expensive yes. but durable and comfortable.

For Benny Try wearing socks

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Vans have non-marking soles, good grip on the deck, and are really comfortable. Ive been using them for years.
HI Tigereye: I use to be able to get Van's with deck sole. Haven't been able to find them. Was told deck sole was discontinued. Do you have a source? Please let me know. I've been wearing Rockports. About 35 years ago we were getting ready to sail to Santa Cruz Island off Santa Barbara. I have Donald Duck feet and had to special order from Van factory. I ordered new pair of blue canvas deck soles. When I went to pick them up they had sent leather blue suede. Company sold them to me at canvas price and I was on my way. Got into Fry's harbor and got feet wet setting anchors. Saltwater made dye in shoes turn my feet blue.:eek: Took about a week for the color to wash out. As the man said, "Don't step on my blue suede shoes." Fair winds and full sails....

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I've worn the same pair of Dr. Scholl's from Meijers for two years. They look just like Sperry and stay soft. They are $39 when on sale.

JerryA

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
I couldn't find any mens "B" width deck shoes so I bought Rockport women's "B" width two sizes larger. They looked the same but after wearing them I noticed that they are cut lower. That makes them less comfortable so I'm looking again for "B" width.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i am glad to see some one else knows about those shoes...i have worn the ones with the mock sole for 35 years ...the have a very thick band on the sides to rear of the tounge...leather laces and are very durable...only thing is i just wore out my last pair and looking on line i cant find them listed in there cataloge......they were about 135.00 rto 150.00 the last time i bought them....but they usually last me 8 to 10 years...maybe they discontinued them due to low turn over ...if you know where one might find them please let me know......i dont usually spind a lot of money on clothing but when it comes to foot ware i always spaire no expense as you only get one pair of feet and when they are gone thats it...kput....

regards

woody
this is the style shoe i was discribeing in the above post ...the only diff is this one does not have the Moc sole like the deck shoes did.....these things are built like harness leather and very though....i am wondering how this one will do as a deck shoe....not so sure about the lug sole ...but they are non maring .....

regards

woody

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
I've been going to the store to buy inexpensive sneakers with non-marking soles, and have been very happy with them. I need more arch support than most people and most topsider-type shoes don't do it for me.

Apr 25, 2010
Beneteau 331 Herrington Harbor South (Friendship, MD)
I will give my two cents for Helly Hansen. I am a newbie (just finished year 2) but found my Sperry shoes to slip too much. I purchased a pair of simple white Helly Hansen shoes (they look like tennis shoes) and I love them. I am going to buy another pair online over the winter (that's when the best prices tend to pop up). Also, the Helly Hansen store in Annapolis has a decent sale every once in a while. If you pay full price they can be expensive.

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Catalina 390 14 Perth Amboy, NJ
I only wear Rockport shoes, because to me they are the most comfortable shoes out there. All my shoes including my dress shoes are Rockports.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
loli wear bare feet as they feel the deck best--yes i have broken toes--i used to play field hockey and broke a few of em that way also--broken toes aint no big thang--it happens-- they heal--so they look funny-they still work. i have sailed since age 7 barefoot and do not plan on stopping that practice. have found NO manufactured shoe to do the trick or job as advertised, especially NOT sperry sliders--die in those things. pricey and not good on deck. great in the restaurant or boat club but nasty on deck for deckwork.
omega made a shoe called reef warriers--not made anymore, darn it--those were GOOD.

Nov 23, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Big Ridge Marina, Hixson, Tn
I bought a pair of Sea Bowld deck shoes several years ago. ( ICE color Look like Sperry's) I come up blank on an Internet search. They work well, are durable and are non slip..... any advise on where one can buy them?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
this is the style shoe i was discribeing in the above post ...the only diff is this one does not have the Moc sole like the deck shoes did.....these things are built like harness leather and very though....i am wondering how this one will do as a deck shoe....not so sure about the lug sole ...but they are non maring .....

regards

woody

ok bought this style about 5 weeks ago and wore them on the boat in Mobil for a couple of days ...they seem to do the trick walking about on the deck and i never felt uneasy with them on my feet so just maybe i have found the right replacement shoe ......

regards

woody

Apr 29, 2011
Finnsailer 38 Massachusetts
I have found that any non-skid boating sole gets slippery after a few years at the most. That's when the boat shoe gets relegated to bottom-painting shoe only. Many boating brands offer shoes with running-shoe like interiors and everything from running-shoe like exteriors to more traditional leather exteriors. They offer much better support and comfort than the traditional Sperry Topsider design. I've never found anything grippier than the most traditional Sperry, which is the white canvas tennis shoe design with the white siped sole, but you usually only get a season out of them before they need replacing. They are surprisingly comfortable for walking around.

One thing I have found is that you can't find a design you like and then stick with it as every company seems to change most designs just about every year. For example, for quite awhile I loved Eco boat shoes and then one year I purchased a new pair that looked identical to my old ones and the soles just disintegrated in a few months--they had cheapened the materials apparently.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Figawis soles got hard on me and slip, have Top Siders, but Fila Skeletoes work well, similar to bare feet, don't worry about going in water with them, easy to rinse and dry.

Attachments

Apr 29, 2011
Finnsailer 38 Massachusetts
One other thing I have found is that supposed "non-marking" soles on non-boating shoes are not always non-marking, especially if they are black in color. And, many shoes that have a fine grip when the deck is dry just don't cut it when the deck is wet, which is where the razor-siped soles come in.

Nov 11, 2010
hunter 31 kent Island md
There is a company called shoes-for crews that make shoes for use in kitchens and other slippery places. I bought a pair last year. Half the price of some boating shoes. Seem to work as good as any other that I have tried.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Figawis soles got hard on me and slip, have Top Siders, but Fila Skeletoes work well, similar to bare feet, don't worry about going in water with them, easy to rinse and dry.

Sea-casper, do these have any protection on the front of the toes? I like the idea of these but I really like the harder rubber that is on my keen 'sandals". They grip well but these you show here seem like they'd be very comfy and sticky if they are as flexible as they look.

I second everything that was written about some Sperry's.....my husband has had many and they get terribly slick in a short time.... and ditto on the fact that loving a model of a brand is no guarantee that they'll be the same the next purchase.

Love barefoot myself when working on the boat, but a very accomplished I-14 friend of ours almost took off a toe on the bow of a Jeaneau recently, took lots of stitches and time to heal. something near the anchor locker got him.....beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.