boat shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2009
Hunter 31 '83_'87 Blue Water Marina
I feel more than a little foolish positing this, but...

I have been wearing Sperry Topsiders for a few years and they're in need of replacement.

I never found them REALLY comfortable, actuallly, standing long time is painful.

Have you had any experience with boat shoes that were comfortable to stand in for hours?

If so, what brand?

just thought i'd ask...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Try Nikes or such. My Sperry's are good for hot weather but I go to athletic shoes when it gets cold.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Crocks, kayak shoes, and barefoot when hot; Nikes and New balance when cold.
All U Get

Aug 28, 2011
Oday 25 warwick
Vans have non-marking soles, good grip on the deck, and are really comfortable. Ive been using them for years.

Oct 13, 2007
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh
I have found that any brand of boat shoes will be comfortable as lond as the sole is thick enough. The sperry shoes with the thin white rubber soles are great while on the boat,but on land,step on a small stone and you feel it through the shoe.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You may want to try some of the "higher quality" shoes (Dubarry, Mephisto, Sperry Gold Cup etc.)

If you don't want to spend the higher prices, consider a new insole. Don't use the gel ones, get ones that are build on a fiberglass bed with higher instep support. I have several pair of deck shoes (that is about the only thing I own) and I have started using removable insoles (doctors orders) and I have found a big difference.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
I no longer use sperry shoes. Since the company was sold some years ago, the new owners appear to use a sole composition that hardens and slips on a deck.

I talked with sperry. My impression is that they no longer make boat shoes for boats but rather for walking the streets as a fashion product. The soles harden and work well on pavement but I find that they are slippery on a deck.

Allan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Timberland

I have been wearing Sperry Topsiders for a few years and they're in need of replacement. I never found them REALLY comfortable, actuallly, standing long time is painful. Have you had any experience with boat shoes that were comfortable to stand in for hours? If so, what brand? just thought i'd ask...
Cost a small fortune, worth a small fortune. The only deck shoe I'd buy.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
I no longer use sperry shoes. Since the company was sold some years ago, the new owners appear to use a sole composition that hardens and slips on a deck.

I talked with sperry. My impression is that they no longer make boat shoes for boats but rather for walking the streets as a fashion product. The soles harden and work well on pavement but I find that they are slippery on a deck.

Allan
Agree with Allan on the soles becoming hard and slippery with most Sperry products. Only exception is the STS-35 high end product with soft ribbed sole pattern. The other Sperry products I find the soles must be occasionally sanded to 'get down' and expose 'soft' rubber once they become 'hard' .... what the hell?
Therefore I have to find a more suitable 'boat shoe' manufacturer and appreciate all the 'good advice' given here.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I have four pair of keens, but one pair is a canvass slip on shoe with gum soles and non marking white toes. They are wonderful boat shoes. Any other keens have carbon toes and leave marks.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
A couple years ago with a recommendation from POTL, my wife and I bought Sperry Figawi deck shoes.

They are a bit pricey at stores, but I found them on-line for about $35/pair. We found that they are comfortable and perform well on a wet deck.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
For warmer weather Keens are great. Cooler weather I use "skater" type sneakers like Vans or DC etc. Great grip and padding and comfortable. I agree with other posts abt sperry's drying out. I bought a pair of Puma for less than $20 from Defender and they have remained soft for 2 years. should have bought 2 pairs!

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
April to October, I wear sandals to launch and barefoot the rest of the time. On the rare occasion that I DO wear something on my feet, it's running shoes that are non-marring.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

I have been wearing Sperry Topsiders for a few years and they're in need of replacement.

I never found them REALLY comfortable, actuallly, standing long time is painful.

Have you had any experience with boat shoes that were comfortable to stand in for hours?

If so, what brand?

just thought i'd ask...
I've mostly worn flip-flops or bare feet for over 30 years. I buy them based on the grip of sole and fit. Usually I buy them from my buddies surf shop (9 x out of 10 better quality), sometimes from West Marine (usually crappy quality) and I've owned dedicated "boating" flip-flops made by Sperry which have the least grip of any I have owned.. Go figure...

Most any non-marking hiking or running sneaker will have pretty darn good grip though. I have a pair made by North Face, got them at the NF outlet for under $30.00, that grip very well and leave no marks.. Over the years I've not found "boating" shoes to have any better grip than the average decent, non-marking, running or hiking sneaker.

The rubber on any shoe will harden and lose grip over time, especially the brownish gum rubber. I have found it is good to start each season with a fresh pair of what ever makes you comfortable..

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Teva Sandals

I'm very happy with the Teva sandals I bought summer before last after reading a review in Practical Sailor. They are very comfortable, and protect the toes.

The grip was excellent in this last (second) summer. I will not be surprised if hardening of the soles reduces the grip next summer. If so, I will try sanding the soles.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I wear a pair of Timberland. They actually have an arch support and are very comfortable.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
This is what I wear in the cooler months. http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store...ARGS=/store/search/includes/searchboxslot.jsp
They get *extremely* hot during the summer and the canvas actually burns my feet. I wear the spinnaker model that Joe wears during the summer. The canvas shoes are probably the most comfortable shoes I own. They just make me look somewhat like Mr. Rogers. I know I'll never win a fashion award wearing them, but they are great shoes.
Hope this helps!
Kermit

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
I have a pair of Sperry Coastal Runners for a lightweight sneaker type shoe that are super light and comfortable. They have great grip and I also have a pair of Sperry ASV 3 eye boat shoes which look like traditional boat shoes but have Sperry's antishock and vibration insoles. They are both extremely comfortable. A little pricier than the regular Sperry's but not by much. Well worth the extra $10-$20.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I'm with Allan and Rich, among others, in regard to Sperry. I used to only buy Sperry, but found them dangerous on a wet deck after only a season of use. I then stumbled upon LL Bean's Summer Sneakers which, at $35, were both a bargain and very effective on a wet deck. I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.