Boat Repairs seem insane

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Like agprice22 said, the marina should have a process. I've also always had it done while the boat is still in the water. They'll likely have the crane attach to a strap that they put around the mast just above the deck, then the strap can slide up to the spreaders and lift the mast from there. I don't think there are any bolts at the base of the mast, just the wires to disconnect there and a collar that the mast sits around.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Randall. This is a big task, yet in steps very doable. On my 40pluns year old boat with out knowledge of the rigging condition, I chose not to go up the mast and have it removed from the boat for inspection and repair. Glad I did. The spreaders were wood. They had not been cared for. When on the hard, a squeeze to the spreader was like squeezing a sponge. Validated my plan of not going up an unknown mast and rigging. It is much easier to inspect, clean, repair/replace mast parts when it is laid out at waist height. I did a complete refit of the mast and rigging. Made changes to the running rigging systems, installed new antenna and coax for the VHF/AIS systems, rewired all electrical adding LED mast head lights - steaming/foredeck light, and lowered a radar dome so I can install a new cutter stay.

It is also the time to examine all of the rigging components. Additionally (while the mast is down) remove, inspect, clean/replace the chain plates. MaineSail has great info on re-bedding of deck hardware.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Reasonable profit ?

I paid $600 for a spare keyless fob for a Toyota. You can protest but that's life.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Most yards will unstep the mast on boats before haul-out. A) Because crane is usually located at the dock and B) even if crane is mobile, lifting mast before haul-out means boat is lower and so crane will not need to lift spar as high to unstep.
At the boatyard where we stored our old CAL 21 they originally would unstep the (deck-stepped) mast before hauling out using the crane. When they switched to hauling us out on the travel-lift, the mast was unstopped after haul-out and I don't think a crane was used anymore (boat was a retractable keel, so sat low on cradle. Mast was 26' long and hinged).