Bilge pump issues

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Having trouble with the bilge pump on my 1990 beneteau 35s5. I can hear the pump turn on but no suction. I'm not sure where the pump is located. Can't seem to find any kind of float switch. Any suggestions?

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Sure someone will chime in that has the boat, however I assume you did not get a beneteau manual with the boat?? They typically include locations of pumps etc. but in mean time Search and you will find. Open up all floor boards until you find the end of the pumps hose. If you have not inspected that you may find it clogged with something.
And go from there. It’s there somewhere.

Good luck
Greg

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Looked at the manual. It's in a place I didn't look before. I'll see what's up Saturday. If it turns on but has no suction maybe it's an impeller.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
If it turns on but has no suction maybe it's an impeller.
Once in awhile our shower sump pump (same as a bilge pump) will have a running sound but no pumpy outy. When I manually cycle the float switch a couple of times, the pump will begin to discharge the sump contents. Not sure why; maybe an air bubble, loss of prime, etc. Usually happens when I first use the shower with a dry sump. The pump never completely empties the sump. At the end of each cruise I always dry it out so that any residual soapy shower water will not stew and stink up the boat as it did once before. Lesson learned.