Better Cigarette Lighter Plug

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I'm sick of the cigarette lighter style plugs. I don't trust them. Looking for alternatives. So far the best I have found is the Anderson Powerpole. Any better suggestions?

Some of the devices we charge through this connection are our batteries for power tools, flood light, handheld VHF, laptops, etc.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Kinda like the real estate axiom.... Location, Location, Location ! Never had any issues with marine grade plugs inside the cabin. Out where the weather as access it can be different. Those pesky rubber caps are susceptible to sun damage. So the trick is to LOCATE where YOU have access but the elements ( including the sun) don't. I found such a place. I have a Scanstrut pod on the pedestal. No issue to add a power plug. It is oriented to the bottom. So it is self draining ( should any moisture get in), and is very accessible. The sun has little or no impact. It does help that there is double protection ( Bimini and pedestal/wheel cover). Good Luck

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Have you considered plugging in a 12 volt ubs adapter and retaining your cigarette lighter functionality for a 12 v to 110 v inverter, higher amperage devices like a small air compressor, etc.? That is what I use in my truck. Lots of options out there.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Have you considered plugging in a 12 volt ubs adapter and retaining your cigarette lighter functionality for a 12 v to 110 v inverter, higher amperage devices like a small air compressor, etc.? That is what I use in my truck. Lots of options out there.

I have USB separate. This is just to replace the cigarette lighter plugs

pilott

Dec 19, 2016
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35 Kemah
BMW motorcycles have accessory power sockets - for heated suits and other stuff. I think they are called Hella DIN powerlet plugs. I've always found them very weatherproof. Look 'em up on Amazon for details

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The cigarette lighter plugs have an ejection mechanism for the lighter to retract when hot. Regular 12V power plugs have nothing like that, just a friction plug. Have never had any problems with the regular 12V plugs.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The cigarette lighter plugs have an ejection mechanism for the lighter to retract when hot. Regular 12V power plugs have nothing like that, just a friction plug. Have never had any problems with the regular 12V plugs.
Inside the 12v plug there is usually or should be a fuse.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Anderson Powerpole are very nice that a lot of top RC pilots use on 4-5 figure airplanes and jets with real jet engines. Also used in extreme 3D helicopter pilots at our field. I'd probably leave the single lighter in place just in case but make a powerpole charging connection in a convenient place for you charging needs.

I also use to compete in Ironbutt motorcycle multi day rallies and the BMW heated gear plugs mentioned above are considered the best all weather connects, another good option if your need it in a wet environment like rain for sure.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
IMG_20200504_091152312.jpg

This is a secondary panel I installed several years ago. When I went to lithium batteries I moved the inverter and I don't use that remote any more. Or the 110v outlet below. So I am considering two options.

1) remove the inverter remote and put in an Anderson powerpole outlet connected to the bottom switch.
41K7rdC-9pL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Convert my devices to the Anderson plug and have extras for the future. I could also make a Anderson to cigarette lighter plug adapter so I can bring the devices to other boats if needed.

2) Wire the unused 110v outlet to the bottom breaker and label "12 Volt Outlets". Install 110v plug on my devices and label them as well. I could make the same 110v to cigarette lighter plug connector. My concern with this is the risk of someone plugging the wrong device into the wrong plug. I could use Euro style plugs with this approach.

With either approach the cigarette lighter style and USB outlets would remain usable.

Any thoughts on the two approaches?

Jesse

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Option 1 would be a better choice. Don't mix and match AC and DC receptacles, it is just tempting Murphy.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
We sail on Lake Lanier, N.E. of Atlanta GA. We have a modified triple 12v outlet in the cockpit. One is the normal outlet with cover, one was converted to accept a waterproof ethernet jack and the other for an F connector with RG-6 for an HDTV antenna. We have not had any issues with performance, corrosion, water intrusion, etc with any fitting after a few years exposed to the weather. (Cold, Storms, Sun, etc.) 12v is used primarily for a halogen searchlight.

RJ-6, Ehternet and 12v connections.jpg
RJ-6, Ehternet and 12v connections.jpg

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We sail on Lake Lanier, N.E. of Atlanta GA. We have a modified triple 12v outlet in the cockpit. One is the normal outlet with cover, one was converted to accept a waterproof ethernet jack and the other for an F connector with RG-6 for an HDTV antenna. We have not had any issues with performance, corrosion, water intrusion, etc with any fitting after a few years exposed to the weather. (Cold, Storms, Sun, etc.) 12v is used primarily for a halogen searchlight.

View attachment 178507View attachment 178507
"We sail on Lake Lanier"

We sail the Caribbean. Different world.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Option 1, would not repurpose the 110 outlets like that in option 2. Also it isn't much wire in that bundle exposed but I'd put them in a conduit, even a plastic flexible one for a bit more protection.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We have several 12v sockets on our boat and have had no problems over the years. Boat came with one at the nav station and I have added five since, one in the cockpit, two aft cabin, one main cabin and one forward cabin. Very handy for all sorts of electronic devices. Also have USB adapters as well as inverters. Very versatile.

Perhaps we have suggestions if you would elaborate on your trust issues. We use ours all the time and they always work.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have several 12v sockets on our boat and have had no problems over the years. Boat came with one at the nav station and I have added five since, one in the cockpit, two aft cabin, one main cabin and one forward cabin. Very handy for all sorts of electronic devices. Also have USB adapters as well as inverters. Very versatile.

Perhaps we have suggestions if you would elaborate on your trust issues. We use ours all the time and they always work.
IMG_20200504_205945926.jpg

IMG_20200504_205953721.jpg

This is the charger from out MacBook Air.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
This is the charger from out MacBook Air.
Does the socket look the same, all rusty? No rust in ours, even in the cockpit one. Of course that one is a marine grade unit with a rubber cap/cover. All the others that I've added inside the boat were for car applications. Some pics of ours follow:

12v socket7.jpg

12v socket19.JPG

12v socket15.JPG

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
This is what I have @ the helm for USB, less than 30 bucks

ROKK

This may be an option also, good reviews:
another option

Last edited: