Beneteau 473 with low maximum speed

Sep 29, 2019
Beneteau 473 Sesimbra
Dear sirs,
I bought in 2020 an beneteau 473 2003 standart mast.
Since i begin sailing it i felt it slow, dificult to achive 6knots with 14knots of wind. Always choosing the best wind angle.
This year, 2021, i bought a new Kemp performance genoa sail 140%.
The main sail is from 2014 and it is in regular condition.
The hull is clean and i have a folding propeller.
This 15/10/2021 with 12-14knots of wind, i achive maximum of 6,1knots in the best wind angle. Regular 6,0knots.
Im i doing something something wrong for this boat?
I had a beneteau 411 that with this wind achieve a much bigger speed easily.
Regards,
Pedro Mendes Pinto

This 15/10/2021

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
Is the hull fair? Clean is good, but if the last bottom job was shoddy you will not have laminar flow...turbulent flow is slow. If you can't haul the boat, consider getting the water yourself with a mask and snorkel and feel the bottom with your hands...it should be smooth with no irregularity. If it is rough, you'll need to strip the bottom to gelcoat next haul out and repaint...preferably sprayed-on hard (non-ablative) bottom paint.

While on the hard, check the thru hull flanges...if they aren't flush consider having them removed and recessed.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions but that's a good start.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Something certainly doesn’t seem right… I can get 6.9 or 7.0 knots out my old 1988 O’Day 322 with a 135 Genoa and a fixed 2-blade prop in 15 knots of wind. Sounds like your boat ought to do 8+ knots with a clean (and fair) bottom and decent sails.

How are your measuring speed? Paddle wheel through the water or GPS over ground?

Greg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
6.1 knots definitely is slow for that boat. If you are measuring your speed with a knot meter, it may not be calibrated correctly. The data in the file below should give you a good idea of you boat's speed potential.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
6.1 knots definitely is slow for that boat. If you are measuring your speed with a knot meter, it may not be calibrated correctly. The data in the file below should give you a good idea of you boat's speed potential.
What are the numbers in the first column?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The numbers in the first column are the wind angles.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What kind of speeds do you get when motoring? The speed under sail does seem low, and the polars from Ted agree with that.

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
You said you bought a new 140...get the sailmaker out on the boat to advise you...they should do that as a courtesy...

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
How much weight are you carrying ? I have seen this people living on the boat have it loaded down with thousands of pounds of gear, provisions , stuff, full water tanks/ fuel . I replaced my main with a new tri-radial sail ,hard to shape (furling main) ,the boat was a knot faster with the old baggy sail

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the boat was a knot faster with the old baggy sail
When you were tacking, seeking VMG to a point into the wind?
Or when you were reaching / going down wind?

With which sails did you find the boat heeled more and tried to broach?

Sep 29, 2019
Beneteau 473 Sesimbra
With the wind measuring instrument of the cookpit of the boat.
I put the throtle in reverse to close the propeller.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
With the wind measuring instrument of the cookpit of the boat.
Is the instrument set to show True wind or apparent wind? Is it using Speed through the water or SOG to do that calculation? If it’s using Speed Through the Water is that calibrated? 6 knots of SOG in 12 knots of apparent wind does sound about right.