Battery post torque

Feb 8, 2009
Sabre 34 MK-1 Annapolis, MD
Woodster

Many thanks but no joy at any box stores in my region. Tried all of same and the result is - they have click type only - no dial type/no beam type. In addition, these click type lower limits are around 120 inch pounds. I would rather have the lower limit at 0 inch pounds.

Charles

ps MainSail is very resourceful - perhaps he can tell us where he gets the one he uses.
Charles,

It could be argued that a beam type may be more accurate than a click type -- but the click type is certainly a well accepted technology, and vastly superior to "snug + 1/4 turn." Mine is from Harbor Freight, is $22, and has a range of 20 to 200 in-lbs. Yeah, HF is crap, and it certainly isn't as nice in my hands as Craftsman, but for the 1 or 2 times a year (or less!) I use it, it gives in-lb range torque that I never had before. And if you assume the 4% rated accuracy is wrong and call it 15%, it's still more than adequate for most applications (most applications, including these battery posts, are not exactly "critical" and may not be worth a $200 tool!) Remember that at 100 in-lbs, and assume that the handle is 10" long, a 15% difference is only 1.5pounds of force at the end -- very little, really.

Harry

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Recent Visit to Yorktown

Maine: I too wish I had known you were in Yorktown since I live/keep the boat 14 miles up the river from there. I would have enjoyed getting together if your time would have allowed. Perhaps on another trip if you return :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine: I too wish I had known you were in Yorktown since I live/keep the boat 14 miles up the river from there. I would have enjoyed getting together if your time would have allowed. Perhaps on another trip if you return :)
We rented the James Ross River Plantation for a week and the kids loved it. Who knows we may go back some day.... BTW this is a tremendous property for a family vacation, wedding or family reunion... The draft at the dock would not be sufficient for most sail boats but if you had a power boat it even has a large two bay boat house....

Feb 12, 2011
Allied Luders 33 Toronto
I am making a list for the battery cable and lugs I'll need and trying to identify the different sizes (battery posts, starter, alternators, bars, etc).
The battery posts with the hex nuts - are they 3/8 posts? Thanks.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
I am making a list for the battery cable and lugs I'll need and trying to identify the different sizes (battery posts, starter, alternators, bars, etc).
The battery posts with the hex nuts - are they 3/8 posts? Thanks.
Maybe. Some are 3/8 positive and 5/16 negative. Golf carts are 5/16 for both posts on any I have installed. Agm's are most often 1/4.