Battery post torque

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I use wing nuts, hand tightened to the point where the cable connector does not move and have never had a problem. Have known seemingly forever that electrical connections need to be tight. Torque specs are usually dictated by the characteristics of the bolt and nut.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine Sail,

In reviewing your gallery on "Battery Meltdown" the question is what is the proper torque for each of the battery terminal nuts?

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_meltdown_averted

Thanks for your posts!
For typical "marine batteries", with a stud post, the torque is usually 95 - 105 lb-in or 11-12 Nm... The problem with wing nuts got so bad the NMMA, ABYC and USCG no longer allow them... This is not to say properly installed wing-nuts can't work but they are RARELY properly installed...

This is what a USCG inspection requires for batteries (our new club launch just went through this in June. The waterfront director had installed wing-nuts and we had to remove them to pass inspection, among other issues):

Overload protection - (are the battery banks fused)
Ventilation - (does the battery area have adequate ventilation)
Protective covering - (Are the battery terminals protected from shorts)
Battery charger with ammeter connected to charging circuit - (does the battery charger have an ammeter display)
Cable connectors permanent - (wing-nuts are not considered a "permanent" connector by the USCG)
Corrosion-resistant tray or mounting - (is the battery containment acid proof and are the mounts acid proof)

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Does ventilation come up as a problem often? I would think venting would be passsive but are those disk type vents ok or is it preferred to see something else.

My batteries are under a quarter berth that is pretty much closed off with a partition between them and the engine. This seems typical of many boats from the eighties.

I could install vents going from battery compartment to engine area but I think the heat would be counter productive.

I could also vent the battery compartment via a engine room vent hose (3" or 4") to my cockpit coaming box.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Thanks Maine, I have updated my batteries and compartment based on a lot of your articles. Now need to get rid of wind nuts.

Feb 6, 1998
Dare I ask what the "proper" way to install wing nuts may be...?
Warren,

The problem with wing nuts is they lend themselves, by design, to ineptitude and laziness. Thumb tight for battery cables is NOT okay....:cussing::cussing: This sort of laziness is what has driven the marine industry to pretty much ban them.

The proper method to install a wing nut is at the same torque required by the battery manufacturer. This CAN NOT be done with your thumb and forefinger. It requires a wing nut wrench or other means to apply good torque.. There really is such a thing as a wing nut wrench....

P.S. Do you know who owns the Hunter 28 (could be another size) First Light out of Yorktown? I was in VA last week and snapped a shot of it thinking it may be yours but I see your boat is not named First Light....

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Is it advisable to use dielectric grease on the posts? Will it help combat corrosion or oxidization?

fa102

Apr 21, 2013
S2 8.0C (keel center board w/ MD7A diesel) long island
The following sections from ABYC standards E-10 Storage Batteries should answerer most questions:

E-10 STORAGE BATTERIES
10.7.4 Each installed battery shall not move more than one inch (25mm) in any direction when a pulling force of 90 pounds (41kg) or twice the battery weight, whichever is less, is applied through the center of gravity of the battery as follows:
10.7.4.1 vertically for a duration of one minute, and
10.7.4.2 horizontally and parallel to the boat's centerline, for a duration of one minute fore and one minute aft, and
10.7.4.3 horizontally and perpendicular to the boat's centerline for a duration of one minute to starboard and one minute to port.

10.7.5 Batteries shall not be installed directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter, or fitting in a fuel line without an intervening sole, floor, or deck.

10.7.7 To prevent accidental contact of the ungrounded battery connection to ground, each battery shall be
protected so that metallic objects cannot come into contact with the ungrounded battery terminal and uninsulated cell straps. This may be accomplished by means such as:
10.7.7.1 covering the ungrounded battery terminal with a boot or non-conductive shield, or
10.7.7.2 installing the battery in a covered battery box, or
10.7.7.3 installing the battery in a compartment specially designed only for the battery(s).
10.7.8.1 Batteries with a combination of side and top terminals shall comply with both the horizontal and vertical shielding requirements.

10.7.9 A vent system or other means shall be provided to permit the discharge from the boat of hydrogen gas released by the battery.
10.7.10 Battery boxes, whose cover forms a pocket over the battery, shall be vented at the uppermost portion of the cover.
NOTE to 10.7.9 and 10.7.10: These requirements also apply to installations of all batteries whether they employ removable vent caps, non-removable caps, are “sealed” or “maintenance free” batteries, or have pressure regulated valve vent systems with immobilized electrolyte (gel and AGM batteries).

10.7.11 Batteries shall be charged by means that are appropriate to the type of battery being charged.

10.8.2 Connectors to battery terminals shall be made with fitted connectors providing secure mechanical and electrical connections as required in the Wiring Connections section of ABYC E-11, AC and DC Electrical Systems On Boats. Spring clips or temporary clamps shall not be used.
10.8.3 Battery cables and other conductors size 6 AWG (13.3 mm²) and larger shall not be connected to the battery with wing nuts.
10.8.4 Multiple conductors connected to a battery shall be installed with the highest ampacity conductor terminal closest to the battery, followed by successively smaller ampacity conductor terminals.
10.8.4.1 A maximum of four conductor terminals shall be permitted to be installed on a single battery stud.
10.8.5 Flat washers, if used, shall only be installed immediately under the split lock washer and nut of the attachment stud.
====
E-11 AC & DC Electric Systems

E-11.6.1.2 Battery Switch

E- 11.6.1.2.1” “A battery switch shall be installed in the positive conductor(s) from each battery or battery bank with a CCA rating greater than 800 amperes.”

= = = = =

[Note: Closed in battery compartments (under settees / berths typical in sailboats) need to be

FTA marine surveyor NY

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Hey Maine - I know the owners of the Hunter "First Light". I used to work with one of them, and they were my dock neighbors in Deltaville before moving to Urbanna last season. They're from the Richmond area.

Feb 6, 1998
Hey Maine - I know the owners of the Hunter "First Light". I used to work with one of them, and they were my dock neighbors in Deltaville before moving to Urbanna last season. They're from the Richmond area.
Jeez wish I had know you were down that way I would have stopped by the say hi... Was in Deltaville a couple of weeks ago.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
[Note: Closed in battery compartments (under settees / berths typical in sailboats) need to be

FTA marine surveyor NY
Do you happen to have the rest of the note of the ABYC standard? Thanks for posting this.

Feb 6, 1998
Do you happen to have the rest of the note of the ABYC standard? Thanks for posting this.
They need to be vented..... Usually a grate located as close to the top of the compartment as possible works..

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
The following sections from ABYC standards E-10 Storage Batteries should answerer most questions:

E-10 STORAGE BATTERIES
10.7.4 Each installed battery shall not move more than one inch (25mm) in any direction when a pulling force of 90 pounds (41kg) or twice the battery weight, whichever is less, is applied through the center of gravity of the battery as follows:
10.7.4.1 vertically for a duration of one minute, and
10.7.4.2 horizontally and parallel to the boat's centerline, for a duration of one minute fore and one minute aft, and
10.7.4.3 horizontally and perpendicular to the boat's centerline for a duration of one minute to starboard and one minute to port.

10.7.5 Batteries shall not be installed directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter, or fitting in a fuel line without an intervening sole, floor, or deck.

10.7.7 To prevent accidental contact of the ungrounded battery connection to ground, each battery shall be
protected so that metallic objects cannot come into contact with the ungrounded battery terminal and uninsulated cell straps. This may be accomplished by means such as:
10.7.7.1 covering the ungrounded battery terminal with a boot or non-conductive shield, or
10.7.7.2 installing the battery in a covered battery box, or
10.7.7.3 installing the battery in a compartment specially designed only for the battery(s).
10.7.8.1 Batteries with a combination of side and top terminals shall comply with both the horizontal and vertical shielding requirements.

10.7.9 A vent system or other means shall be provided to permit the discharge from the boat of hydrogen gas released by the battery.
10.7.10 Battery boxes, whose cover forms a pocket over the battery, shall be vented at the uppermost portion of the cover.
NOTE to 10.7.9 and 10.7.10: These requirements also apply to installations of all batteries whether they employ removable vent caps, non-removable caps, are “sealed” or “maintenance free” batteries, or have pressure regulated valve vent systems with immobilized electrolyte (gel and AGM batteries).

10.7.11 Batteries shall be charged by means that are appropriate to the type of battery being charged.

10.8.2 Connectors to battery terminals shall be made with fitted connectors providing secure mechanical and electrical connections as required in the Wiring Connections section of ABYC E-11, AC and DC Electrical Systems On Boats. Spring clips or temporary clamps shall not be used.
10.8.3 Battery cables and other conductors size 6 AWG (13.3 mm²) and larger shall not be connected to the battery with wing nuts.
10.8.4 Multiple conductors connected to a battery shall be installed with the highest ampacity conductor terminal closest to the battery, followed by successively smaller ampacity conductor terminals.
10.8.4.1 A maximum of four conductor terminals shall be permitted to be installed on a single battery stud.
10.8.5 Flat washers, if used, shall only be installed immediately under the split lock washer and nut of the attachment stud.
====
E-11 AC & DC Electric Systems

E-11.6.1.2 Battery Switch

E- 11.6.1.2.1” “A battery switch shall be installed in the positive conductor(s) from each battery or battery bank with a CCA rating greater than 800 amperes.”

= = = = =

FTA marine surveyor NY
Obviously written by lawyers for other lawyers, no knowledgeable boat mechanic would be caught dead reading that crap because of 20years of practical experience tells him what works and what doesn't. 98% of all batteries come with wing nuts which work perfectly fine when installed properly which is where experience comes into play. Is finger tight enough, No it isn't, but finger tight plus another 1/4 turn with a pair of cheap harbor freight pliers will for sure do the job. No self respecting marine mechanic would be caught dead owning a wing nut wrench unless he just graduated from MMT and they told him to finance them with more student loan money. If you don't know what your doing you need to pay for the experience of others or you will definitely get into a safety issue.

Feb 6, 1998
Obviously written by lawyers for other lawyers, no knowledgeable boat mechanic would be caught dead reading that crap because of 20years of practical experience tells him what works and what doesn't. 98% of all batteries come with wing nuts which work perfectly fine when installed properly which is where experience comes into play. Is finger tight enough, No it isn't, but finger tight plus another 1/4 turn with a pair of cheap harbor freight pliers will for sure do the job. No self respecting marine mechanic would be caught dead owning a wing nut wrench unless he just graduated from MMT and they told him to finance them with more student loan money. If you don't know what your doing you need to pay for the experience of others or you will definitely get into a safety issue.
Actually not written by lawyers... The standards are compiled based on actual data & real world experience from a mix of industry, Transport Canada, manufacturers, technicians, boat yard owners, surveyors plus input from the USCG and support from the insurance industry.....

There is also lots of support & input from other standards organizations such as the NEC, NFPA, UL, IEC, NEMA, CTL, SAE, BCI, EPA, ASME, ASTM, AGA, DOT, AMA, NMMA, etc. etc. etc. on and on.

I am on multiple ABYC committees for standards and actually know exactly how standards development and changes to them work... In my time with the ABYC I never seen a lawyer chime in on standards development..

Here on the net anyone can make up any statement they want whether it has an ounce of truth to it or not. :doh:

I see the plier approach often and it often results in damaged post threads which then makes it even more difficult to properly torque a battery wing nut... I keep both a 3/8" and 5/16" die in my tool bag for this very reason.. As I have said multiple times a wing nut PROPERLY TORQUED & locked is no different than any other nut. The sad reality is PEOPLE don't properly install them.....

Does "finger tight plus another 1/4 turn" actually meet the torque spec of the battery manufacturer???

People using poor practices are why the standards are changed and these changes or inclusions are almost always based on real world situations, not because some lawyer said so.

98% of marine batteries DO NOT ship with wing nuts. If you are going to simply make up stats you might at least want to do some home work. There are a couple left who do but the vast majority no longer ship with wing nuts.

Deka/East Penn has perhaps the largest share of the "marine" battery market in the US with all their private labeling agreements.. All their marine batteries whether they say: Sam's Club, West Marine, NAPA, O'Reilly Auto, Deka etc. all ship with hex nuts..

*Lifeline Battery ships with hex nuts
*Odyssey battery ships with hex nuts
*Exide ships with hex nuts
*US Battery ships with hex nuts
*Trojan T105, T125, T145, L16 etc. ship with hex
*Optima ship with hex
*Superior ship with hex
*Everstart Marine / Wal*Mart / JCI ship with hex nuts

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
You know...there's "20 years of experience", and there's "1 year of experience - 20 times". :D

Some people tend to confuse the two.

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
Actually not written by lawyers... The standards are compiled based on actual data & real world experience from a mix of industry, Transport Canada, manufacturers, technicians, boat yard owners, surveyors plus input from the USCG and support from the insurance industry.....

There is also lots of support & input from other standards organizations such as the NEC, NFPA, UL, IEC, NEMA, CTL, SAE, BCI, EPA, ASME, ASTM, AGA, DOT, AMA, NMMA, etc. etc. etc. on and on.

I am on multiple ABYC committees for standards and actually know exactly how standards development and changes to them work... In my time with the ABYC I never seen a lawyer chime in on standards development..

Here on the net anyone can make up any statement they want whether it has an ounce of truth to it or not. :doh:

I see the plier approach often and it often results in damaged post threads which then makes it even more difficult to properly torque a battery wing nut... I keep both a 3/8" and 5/16" die in my tool bag for this very reason.. As I have said multiple times a wing nut PROPERLY TORQUED & locked is no different than any other nut. The sad reality is PEOPLE don't properly install them.....

Does "finger tight plus another 1/4 turn" actually meet the torque spec of the battery manufacturer???

People using poor practices are why the standards are changed and these changes or inclusions are almost always based on real world situations, not because some lawyer said so.

98% of marine batteries DO NOT ship with wing nuts. If you are going to simply make up stats you might at least want to do some home work. There are a couple left who do but the vast majority no longer ship with wing nuts.

Deka/East Penn has perhaps the largest share of the "marine" battery market in the US with all their private labeling agreements.. All their marine batteries whether they say: Sam's Club, West Marine, NAPA, O'Reilly Auto, Deka etc. all ship with hex nuts..

*Lifeline Battery ships with hex nuts
*Odyssey battery ships with hex nuts
*Exide ships with hex nuts
*US Battery ships with hex nuts
*Trojan T105, T125, T145, L16 etc. ship with hex
*Optima ship with hex
*Superior ship with hex
*Everstart Marine / Wal*Mart / JCI ship with hex nuts
Possibly some of those have been shipped with a hex nut or two, a check at my local walmart this morning revealed all six everstarts they had on the rack were equipped with wingnuts so I guess your theory is blown out of the water there.yes any idiot can tear up threads with a pair of pliers, a skilled mech would not. an idiot with 40 thousand dollars worth of Snap-on tools in a eight thousand dollar tool box can also ruin those same threads so your analogy is meaningless Mainesail.

Feb 6, 1998
Possibly some of those have been shipped with a hex nut or two, a check at my local walmart this morning revealed all six everstarts they had on the rack were equipped with wingnuts so I guess your theory is blown out of the water there.yes any idiot can tear up threads with a pair of pliers, a skilled mech would not. an idiot with 40 thousand dollars worth of Snap-on tools in a eight thousand dollar tool box can also ruin those same threads so your analogy is meaningless Mainesail.
Interestingly enough I got a post notification just as my daughter and I were walking into our local Wal*mart... these photos were taken at approx 3:52 PM today, December 12th at Wal*Mart in Falmouth, ME....

All of these batteries are made by Johnson Controls, & labeled for Wal*Mart. They have the Wal*Mart in-house brand label of EverStart ...

G-24 Marine Starting 7/13 Date Code

G-29/31 Deep Cycle 9/13 Date Code

G-24 Deep Cycle 9/13 Date Code

G-27 Deep Cycle 11/13 Date Code

Close up of post cover design:

Front of a G-27 DC

Front of a G29/31 DC

G-24 Marine Starting 12/13 Date Code

G-24 Marine Deep Cycle with old label 7/13 Date Code

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Maine: Where would you recommend purchasing batteries then? WalMart is the same, so I am jumping to conclusion less expensive???

Or perhaps: "where did you buy your last set of batteries?"