Battery Buyers = Good News

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
Thanks Maine! and thank you for a very informative board! I've been doing this boating thing for a long time now, but I still learn from your forums and your instructional projects such as the one on thru hulls and seacocks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Just looked up the current WM pricing vs. my local Sam's Club on the group 31 wet cell.. Holy CRAP!!!!

Remember these are the SAME EXACT BATTERIES, MADE BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER AND ROLLING OFF THE SAME ASSEMBLY LINE. The ONLY difference is the STICKER...

Sams Club = Group 29/31 (Deka DC31) 105Ah Battery $84.97

West Marine = Group 31 (Deka DC31) 105Ah Battery $247.99

Difference = $165.02 per battery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The price premium paid to have a West Marine sticker on the battery box vs. Duracell... $165.02. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...... Oh and identical warranty......... Priceless!

You can't make this stuff up.. BTW the price on the WM/Sea Volt/Deka DC31 batteries easily exceeds the offensive pricing of the top quality Trojan SCS-225 by over $50.00 per battery..

Aug 31, 2009
Hunter 36 Herrington Harbour North, MD
On the Sam's website they also list 4D's for $152 if you do a search for Duracell, although they are specified as "commercial" and not "marine". Is there a difference?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Us Dcxc 31..

yes they are actually 130Ah's at the 20 hour rate. The only other group 31 I know of that does that is the Trojan SCS-225 but it is a lot more expensive. The $123.00 is a decent price for the US DCXC 31..

I just got quoted $175 for that battery here in the Los Angeles area!

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
MaineSail,

Thank you... I just picked up 3 new batteries to replace my dead West Marine batteries --- all for less than $300 including the cost of renewing my membership...

Wow I love this forum....!!!!

Garner

Nov 30, 2011
MacGregor 25 Savannah
If you're looking at the flooded deep cycle marine batts the group 24, 27 & 31 are the same exact specs as the WM batteries. Sam's, like NAPA just decided to not include the 20 hour Ah rate on the batteries.

12V Flooded
Duracell Group 24 Deep Cycle = 75 Ah
Duracell Group 27 Deep Cycle = 90 Ah
Duracell Group 31 Deep Cycle = 105 Ah

6V Flooded
Duracell GC2 6V = 215 Ah
Duracell EGC2 6V = 230 Ah
Maine Sail,

When You called them did you happen to ask them about the optimal charging rate for them?
I know most chargers are set at kind of flat rates say 14.4 for flooded batts. but have read that Trojan and other say that the optimal charging for there flooded are 14.8 at battery. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jaime

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
Duracell battery problems?
I purchased the EGC2 Duracells in April 2012 at Sam's Club. They had a manufacturing date code of Feb 2012, so were very fresh. I installed them in May and first used them away from the dock this past week. They were very disappointing. They had been stored at dockside on a charger at 13.2 v float. On my cruise after only a couple of hours where the only load was a 12v reefer system drawing max 5 amp. The voltage I read was 12.1 and later on 11.8. This after only a few hours of draw.

I plan to exchange these for two others, but I wondered if anyone else had any issues with these batteries?? Hopefully this was just a rare case.

Rodd

Jul 6, 2012
Hunter 36 NY
They had a manufacturing date code of Feb 2012, so were very fresh.
I have these batteries as well. How did you read the date code? Did you use the round sticker with a single letter and digit (mine said F2 for June 2012) as the manufacturing date or something else?

I was told that for most batteries (not necessarily these), a round removable sticker on the battery tells you when the battery was last recharged while it was sitting in storage before shipment (typically every 3 months) and that the manufacturing code should be stamped into the case, but I couldn't decode the melted in /stamped code. There wasn't any letter/digit in that code. Is there some trick to deciphering the manufacturing date code?

I don't know when mine were made, unless the round sticker is the manufacturing date.

Feb 6, 1998
I purchased the EGC2 Duracells in April 2012 at Sam's Club. They had a manufacturing date code of Feb 2012, so were very fresh. I installed them in May and first used them away from the dock this past week. They were very disappointing. They had been stored at dockside on a charger at 13.2 v float. On my cruise after only a couple of hours where the only load was a 12v reefer system drawing max 5 amp. The voltage I read was 12.1 and later on 11.8. This after only a few hours of draw.

I plan to exchange these for two others, but I wondered if anyone else had any issues with these batteries?? Hopefully this was just a rare case.

Rodd
Rodd,

This is pretty common behavior until the batteries get "broken in" which can take as many as 10 - 20 cycles down to 50% and back... Don't return them just yet and cycle them for a few weeks. I'd be surprised if the behavior did not change quite a bit.

Jul 6, 2012
Hunter 36 NY
did you happen to ask them about the optimal charging rate for them?
I called Johnson Controls who make the Sam's Club Duracell
Model: Group Size EGC2
Item #: 347631

They said 14.4 volts is right for charging

Feb 6, 1998
I called Johnson Controls who make the Sam's Club Duracell
Model: Group Size EGC2
Item #: 347631

They said 14.4 volts is right for charging
The Sam's Club Duracell batteries are made by Deka/East Penn. The Energizer brand they used to sell were made by Johnson Controls.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Interesting, Maine.. I think that the Deka's are only available in a small market.. My local club handles the Energizer labeled battery and the ad is accompanied by this:
ONLY AVAILABLE IN AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, and WY..
Looks like you guys aren't in the list for the Energizers.. Still has pretty good specifications;
SPECIFICATIONS

6 volt
Minutes at 75 AMPS: 122
20 AMP Hour Capacity: 232
Reliable Cycling Ability
Deep Cycle
Gang Vent Design
Polypropylene Ribbed Case
Post Type: UTL
Core Fee May Apply

Feb 6, 1998
Interesting, Maine.. I think that the Deka's are only available in a small market.. My local club handles the Energizer labeled battery and the ad is accompanied by this:
ONLY AVAILABLE IN AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, and WY..
Looks like you guys aren't in the list for the Energizers.. Still has pretty good specifications;
SPECIFICATIONS

6 volt
Minutes at 75 AMPS: 122
20 AMP Hour Capacity: 232
Reliable Cycling Ability
Deep Cycle
Gang Vent Design
Polypropylene Ribbed Case
Post Type: UTL
Core Fee May Apply
We used to have the Energizer/JCI batteries but I am darn happy we now have the Deka/East Penn batteries.... Not all clubs have the Duracell/Deka/East Penn product and some apparently still have the Energizer/JCI product.. Could be regional?

If it is an EGC2, is gray in color, and looks like this:

It is made by Deka/East Penn, not Johnson Controls Inc..

Aug 17, 2011
Hunter 30 Twin Cove / Lake Grapevine
I will have to take a road trip for these. here is what my sams in Dallas says.

Features:
Whether you need a battery for a personnel carrier, aerial lift, electric vehicle, golf car, boat, RV, floor scrubber, road sign, or any other application that requires deep-cycle power, this is the battery of choice. The biggest innovations lie inside the battery, where we use heavier grids, plates with higher density oxide and improved glass mat envelope separators. The result? Longer life cycles and superior cycle life performance. The exterior features represent powerful thinking as well. Engineers have designed a battery that is as durable and user-friendly as possible. The heavy gauge polypropylene cases have been specially engineered to take a pounding without damaging the cells. Twist-and-release vent caps make removing caps a snap, and we’ve maximized convenience by designing a new lifting system.

ONLY AVAILABLE IN AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, AND WV

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Must be a "marketing agreement" for those areas.. Mississippi is just a hop/skip/jump from my slip.. Guess I'll have to go there if I want the good stuff.