Battery Buyers = Good News

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

I just came from my local Sam's Club and noticed that they have changed their battery manufacturer from JCI (Johnson Controls) to Deka / East Penn. I was told this is a new account for East Penn and the Duracell branded East Penn batts may not yet be in all stores. If the batteries still say Energizer on the label they are JCI batteries...

I took some pics at the store and then called Deka / East Penn tech support and spoke with a very nice lady, and very knowledgeable, named Carol G.. She informed me that they DO NOT build the Sam's Club, O'Reilly Auto Parts, NAPA, Deka or West Marine branded batteries any differently and they are all the SAME. They all roll off the same assembly line and get the sticker for the retailer they are going to.

The only thing you want to be certain of is the type. Deka makes starting, dual purpose and deep cycle marine batteries. NAPA & WM sell both the starting, dual purpose and deep cycle versions as does Sam's so be sure to read the labels.

Flooded Deep Cycle Marine Batts:

The batteries Sam's Club is buying are the Deka / East Penn deep cycle marine batteries and the dual purpose/starting versions. This is GOOD!!! What is even better is that these are the EXACT SAME battery that West Marine sells only for LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE!:eek: These batts have a 12 month free replacement warranty, same as West Marine.

As an example the Group 27 Deep Cycle at Sam's Club is $69.87 the SAME EXACT battery at West Marine is $169.99 (2010 catalog price).

There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the WM battery compared to the Sam's Club, NAPA or other resellers battery other than the label/sticker. This info is not from "me" but rather directly from Carol G. at Deka & backed up by folks in her engineering department at Deka/East Penn. Sam's is licensing the Duracell brand name on these East Penn batts but they are the same high quality battery, according to East Penn..

They offer two 6V GC2 batts one with a 215 Ah rating and one with a 230Ah rating and are $78.87 (GC2) and $84.87 (EGC2).

AGM Batteries:

Once again these are the SAME EXACT AGM batteries WM sells and they stock the group 24, 27 & 31 and 6V AGM's.. As an example the group 31 AGM at Sam's Club is $166.32 and at West Marine this SAME BATTERY runs $299.99. The 6V AGM is even more drastic at Sam's it runs $159.73 and at West Marine it costs $389.99!!:eek: Same battery different sticker!!!!

If you're looking at the flooded deep cycle marine batts the group 24, 27 & 31 are the same exact specs as the WM batteries. Sam's, like NAPA, just decided to not include the 20 hour Ah rate on the batteries, but the batteries are rated by East Penn.

12V Flooded
Duracell Group 24 Deep Cycle = 75 Ah
Duracell Group 27 Deep Cycle = 90 Ah
Duracell Group 29/31 Deep Cycle = 105 Ah

6V Flooded
Duracell GC2 6V = 215 Ah
Duracell EGC2 6V = 230 Ah

This new deal between Sam's Club and East Penn represents a tremendous value for the American boater..

EDIT May 2012:

Just looked up the current WM pricing vs. my local Sam's Club on the group 31 wet cell.. Holy CRAP!:eek:

Remember, these are the SAME EXACT BATTERIES, MADE BY THE SAME MANUFACTURER AND ROLLING OFF THE SAME ASSEMBLY LINE. The ONLY difference is the STICKER...

Sams Club = Group 29/31 (Deka DC31) 105Ah Battery $84.97

West Marine = Group 31 (Deka DC31) 105Ah Battery $247.99

Difference = $165.02 per battery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The price premium paid to have a West Marine sticker on the battery box vs. Duracell... $165.02. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...... Oh and identical warranty......... :doh:

You can't make this stuff up.. BTW the price on the WM/Sea Volt/Deka DC31 batteries easily exceeds the already offensive pricing of the top quality Trojan SCS-225 by over $50.00 per battery. Seriously the Deka battery is a decent battery but not a Trojan or US Battery. It is worth about what Sam's is selling it for not the $247.99 West Marine is selling it for.!!!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Why is a guy who doubtless has a hundred batteries lying around shopping batteries at Sam's Club? Regardless the reason we appreciate the heads up.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... ... and the Duracell branded East Penn batts may not yet be in all stores.
I was at Sam's last Thursday, and it looked like they were clearing out the battery rack for the Duracells. However, the Duracell deep cycles I saw on the rack were not rated in amp-hours- and the employyee was no help in finding the info..

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Saved me from checking

I noticed that the local Sams Club has Duracell branded golf carts. Was going to check and see if there was any difference. Duracell has always been my preferred brand in small batteries. Thanks Maine.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The Sam's in Baton Rouge must be getting all the old inventory from the other stores replacing theirs.. Was by there this morning and everything is still JCI.. Wasn't there to buy batteries, but I always look..

Feb 6, 1998
... ... and the Duracell branded East Penn batts may not yet be in all stores.
I was at Sam's last Thursday, and it looked like they were clearing out the battery rack for the Duracells. However, the Duracell deep cycles I saw on the rack were not rated in amp-hours- and the employyee was no help in finding the info..
If you're looking at the flooded deep cycle marine batts the group 24, 27 & 31 are the same exact specs as the WM batteries. Sam's, like NAPA just decided to not include the 20 hour Ah rate on the batteries.

12V Flooded
Duracell Group 24 Deep Cycle = 75 Ah
Duracell Group 27 Deep Cycle = 90 Ah
Duracell Group 31 Deep Cycle = 105 Ah

6V Flooded
Duracell GC2 6V = 215 Ah
Duracell EGC2 6V = 230 Ah

SPLETS

Oct 8, 2008
Beneteau 46 Long Beach, CA
Our Sam's Clubs in Arizona sell Interstate brand batteries and they are priced right!!!

Splets

Jun 2, 2004
Maine Sail, where are you getting specs for the DuraCell batteries? Their website is useless. I took pictures and notes at Sam's this morning. Without your post I would have no idea about amp-hours. Now I need dimensions. Naturally I forgot my tape and no help was to be found. From the chart I am building it looks like the EGC2 at 230ah is a no brainer for price/performance. Now where to put two of them?

Jun 2, 2004
We miss you. Are you sailing? Tomorrow I will go to Sam's and get those measurements that I asked about. Then should I buy the batteries now? Not sure what battery prices do over time but assume they only go up. And then what over the winter? Is there a good home charger? I did read that you are keeping yours on the boat: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=828078&highlight=winter batteries .

Feb 6, 1998
We miss you. Are you sailing? Tomorrow I will go to Sam's and get those measurements that I asked about. Then should I buy the batteries now? Not sure what battery prices do over time but assume they only go up. And then what over the winter? Is there a good home charger? I did read that you are keeping yours on the boat: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=828078&highlight=winter batteries .
I was sailing, but I have been busy working too, which is good..

To get the specs I simply called Deka with the Duracell part numbers.

For the Sam's 12V Deep Cycles the group 24, 27 & 29 are the same specs as West Marine's Deep Cycle group 24, 27 & 31. There is no "Group 29" battery and that is a Sam's/Wal*Mart marine designation. The Duracell group 29's are really the Deka group 31's..

The 6V GC2 is 215 Ah and the 6V ECG2 is 230Ah..

Jun 2, 2004
Once more about this winter. If I bring two DuraCell ECG2s home from Sam's do I need to do anything but store them? Should I need to charge them once or twice? If so then using what? I do have a cheap trickle charger.

Oh, and what are you using for a start battery? Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ed, this has been my experience: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6353.0.html

In all cases, it makes sense to check the cells with a hydrometer, then fully charge them, check again, and keep them charged. However, keeping batteries on float for extended periods actually builds up sulphation, so charge them fully and leave them alone for a while.

Jun 2, 2004
If Maine Sail is right then you are looking at my last set of batteries ever. I'll be 80 when these go and the boat will be for sale somewhere in the world.

These two DuraCell 6 volt ECG2s are supposed to provide 230 amp-hours. That is less than $1.00 an amp-hour. But Sam's did charge me $9.00 per battery for not having a trade. Total with tax was $207. With my luck they will be half that by spring.

Attachments

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
I picked up two of these today for my house batteries. . .

Just out of curiosity, how does the 230 20 hr cap compare to the 120 min @ 75 amps RC??

I found some approximation fomulas on the internet and this site, and got 150 or so ah from the RC :confused:

Just curious mostly. . .

Feb 6, 1998
I picked up two of these today for my house batteries. . .

Just out of curiosity, how does the 230 20 hr cap compare to the 120 min @ 75 amps RC??

I found some approximation fomulas on the internet and this site, and got 150 or so ah from the RC :confused:

Just curious mostly. . .
Which batteries did you buy? That is a 75A RC rating not the normal 25A rating which most of those "formulas" are based on.. If it is the EGC2 the battery is a 230Ah battery at 6V and two in series for 12V will give you 230Ah at 12V....

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
It was EGC2 batteries. I had to buy them, 230 ah was just to good of a deal to pass up :D

I hope to sneak out of the house today to get the modified battery tray back in the boat, lol. . .

I'm going to guess then though, that there isn't a linear correlation between a 75 amp rating vs. a 25 amp rating?

Thanks!

manus

Nov 5, 2011
Westsail 32 Vallejo
Maine:

To wire 4 of these 6 volt flooded batteries in parallel and in series for a 12 v system, what size copper wire should I use for the connections between the 4 batteries only? 2/0 gauge with a 3/8" bolt hole?

Thanks. John