Battery Bank Wiring Question

May 8, 2016
Hunter 36 Catawba Island, Ohio
My Hunter 36 has 2 4D house batteries and a separate starting battery. The engine alternator recharges the starting battery but not the house batteries. I don't believe the starting battery was original equipment. I'm thinking that I need to wire all batteries together in series with an on/off switch between the starting and house batteries in order to prevent the starting battery from being drained while the engine is not running.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I think you need to trace your wiring!!! I know nothing about your 36, but on my 410 the alternator only charges a battery if the inverter is selected to that battery. It also has to go though the battery isolator and yours could have failed.

It it crazy to wire your start and house batteries together to solve this problem. There is something else is causing the house batteries to not be getting a charge.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I think you need to trace your wiring!!! I know nothing about your 36, but on my 410 the alternator only charges a battery if the inverter is selected to that battery. It also has to go though the battery isolator and yours could have failed.

It it crazy to wire your start and house batteries together to solve this problem. There is something else is causing the house batteries to not be getting a charge.
Also, "wire all batteries in "series". If this isn't a typo Mike, you must get want to have someone help you figure out your electrical system.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Mine is wired just like yours, for a good reason. You inverter charger is set for a certain type of Deep charge batteries. I assume, like mine, the engine start batt is high crank amps and different charge curve.
I agree with both Don's.

My Hunter came with a 2 Watt solar panel to trickle charge the engine start battery. I start my engine every 2 weeks for 45 minutes, minimum, which charges the start battery.

I keep a portable "Jump Starter" aboard, just in case.
Jim...

Dec 7, 2013
Hunter 376 Lancaster Va
"I'm thinking that I need to wire all batteries together in series".

Unless you are planning on converting your boat to a 36 volt system this should be highly avoided. Like Don said if this wasn't a typo and you don't understand the differenece between Parallel and Series systems you might want to have someone check the system out for you. As this could cause much bigger issues than you are currently having.

It sounds like your DVSR might have gone bad if you have one.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our main engine alternator charges both the starter as well as the house bank. No idea as to why yours does not, other than how your boat is wired. The alternator should charge both. The inverter feature on our Freedom 25 plays no role in this charging function.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi,
I'll tell you how this needs to be done, but I suggest you have a pro wire it up.
Your house batteries and start are connected together with ACR device, which shunts house to start when either alternator is charging, or shore power is charging.
When you have no shore power and your engine is off, both banks float from each other
The best ACR units are from Blue Seas.
As mentioned, have a pro do this. You need proper guage wire, correct terminals & crimpers, etc