Batteries

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
It is about time to replace my 4D Interstate flooded batteries which are about 5 years old. I was thinking Trojan 6 volt GC batteries but the local guy who is in the boat repair business does not recommend Trojans anymore. Says they are not making their own batteries any longer but putting their label on batteries they import from China. He is recommending Lifeline AGM 4D batteries. Expensive but am thinking of going in that direction. Have a new 60 amp Pronautic battery charger and 175 watts of solar so I think my system should be able to get maximum value from AGMs without "murdering" them. Rarely go below 85% SOC and recharge back to 100% every day while cruising. Anyone have experience with Lifeline AGM's?
bob

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Trojan's flooded deep cycle batteries are manufactured in both California and Georgia. Trojan's Lithonia & Sandersville, Georgia plants are perhaps the most modern battery manufacturing plants in the US today. The Sandersville factory was completely re-tooled just a few short years ago.

Lifeline is a good AGM brand but I would be suspect of your "local guy", who's apparently just making stuff up...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Trojan (C&D Technology) has manufacturing plants in Georgia and California. Hard to understand why they would import from Asia they are made here. Begs the question why he told you that

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL

Duracell 6 V Golf Cart batteries, size GC2. Four. I installed them in my boat in Sep 15 and they've been just great.
  • 20 amp hour rate:215
So, in a series/parrallel installation you have 430 Amp-hr available at 12 VDC

Much easier to get in and out than those huge 4D batteries - and true deep discharge.

More info here: Battery Upgrade

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I am in the process of switching from 4d lifeline AGMs to Trojans. The lifelines are more than twice the price the trojans and have less AH than the T105s and they both have about the same life. The problem though is that the trojans are taller and need to be aligned port to starboard so I am doing some redesign of the battery compartments

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson

Duracell 6 V Golf Cart batteries, size GC2. Four. I installed them in my boat in Sep 15 and they've been just great.

Much easier to get in and out than those huge 4D batteries - and true deep discharge.

what size wire did you use to do the series connection between the batteries?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Oh, Golly, it was five years ago and I made them in the local West Marine store using their cutters and crimpers. It was zero gauge? I just don't remember. They are big, fat cables! I stole much of the data from here:

Battery Upgrade

Maine Sail can provide recommendations on the cable gauge.

If you are going to buy new batteries, I strongly recommend a computer charger and toss out soonest the OEM charger that came with the boat (if you still have it),

Jan 17, 2013
Trojan's flooded deep cycle batteries are manufactured in both California and Georgia. Trojan's Lithonia & Sandersville, Georgia plants are perhaps the most modern battery manufacturing plants in the US today. The Sandersville factory was completely re-tooled just a few short years ago.

Lifeline is a good AGM brand but I would be suspect of your "local guy", who's apparently just making stuff up...
I think the local guy here just hates dealing with Trojan because they are a PITA when it comes to warrantee claims. Interesting because I go to Sandersville on business regularly and have for years and never knew there was a battery plant there. Learn so much on this forum...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The wire gauge is 2/0. That matches the gauge from the batteries to the switch and back to the starter.

Would you only put 4 of the Trojans (no other batteries)? As one bank or two?

When you say you never get below 85% SOC, how are you measuring that? How many Ah down is that?

Jan 17, 2013
The wire gauge is 2/0. That matches the gauge from the batteries to the switch and back to the starter.

Would you only put 4 of the Trojans (no other batteries)? As one bank or two?

When you say you never get below 85% SOC, how are you measuring that? How many Ah down is that?
Measuring SOC using Blue Sea IPN Pro Remote battery monitor. Overnight usage is in the 30-35 ah range. Primarily the fridge.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The previous owner of my 310 documented it pretty well in this thread. Completed in Aug 2017 and still working well for us.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Measuring SOC using Blue Sea IPN Pro Remote battery monitor. Overnight usage is in the 30-35 ah range. Primarily the fridge.
That usage seems really low. But you are a little cooler. We use a number if fans as well. We also have the refer turned down enough to keep food frozen and make ice. But our average overnight discharge is 110 Ah.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico

Did these as well about 5 years ago. Have never had a problem. I believe they are made by some brand Mainsail recommends (Deka or East Penn?).

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Oh, Golly, it was five years ago and I made them in the local West Marine store using their cutters and crimpers. It was zero gauge? I just don't remember. They are big, fat cables! I stole much of the data from here:

Battery Upgrade

Maine Sail can provide recommendations on the cable gauge.

If you are going to buy new batteries, I strongly recommend a computer charger and toss out soonest the OEM charger that came with the boat (if you still have it),
Did the same thing. Took one of the cables to West Marine and copied the gauge and made my additional cables to the lengths I needed. I run mine as a single bank and monitor using a Victron. Replaced the original charger with a Promariner that Mainesail recommended when the old one released released all of its smoke out one day.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Did the same thing. Took one of the cables to West Marine and copied the gauge and made my additional cables to the lengths I needed. I run mine as a single bank and monitor using a Victron. Replaced the original charger with a Promariner that Mainesail recommended when the old one released released all of its smoke out one day.
Anyone, just remember that how you wire your system may lead to two batteries/double the amps may be going through smaller cable you had before.