Backstay for a Hunter 216

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Has anyone ever added a backstay to a Hunter 216? I'm considering a backstay with a fiberglass flicker or running backstays that do not go all the way to the masthead. any advice or opinions?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hunter adopted what many have become use to be known as a backless stay rig commonly referred to as the B &R rig. However, many other daysailors of different brands do not have a backstay either. The spreaders are swept back so the shrouds can carry the load. Ok I am not an engineer but here is what many do not know. Yes the mainsails are generally bigger vs. a traditional mainsail where there is a backstay giving more power to the mainsail. The cockpit is more user friendly and it is easier to set up. Other brands of daysailors have the same configuration while some do have backstays. Hunter went to the B & R no backstay set up years ago and has proven itself even on the 216. I would not recommend what you want to do as a backstay would obstruct the mainsail boom from movement unless you also cut the boom and sail down and on that boat I would not suggest that.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
The backstay would not be for mainsail shape, it would be to carry the downwind loads of a nearly masthead symmetrical spinnaker off of a Catalina 22 to keep the mast from inverting or even failing. My boat is currently stored for the winter, but I was wondering if the boom was too far aft to handle a backstay even if it had a fiberglass flicker to get it up and over the main. I'm also considering running backstays on either side for this reason. I see that in the parts store on this website there is a new and different masthead for the 216 with a backstay attachment and wouldn't be difficult to mount a flicker to the top. I'll have to set the boat up in the spring to see which option I'll go with.

https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=216&c=6&p=52955

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Listen to Dave! the main has a lot of roach, and the boom goes pretty far aft.....
If you feel you need more support for the catalina chute, I think you'd be better with two running backstays

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m not sure if this helps your winter planning but this is a photo of a stock 216 main with the boom midship.Not a lot of distance from end of boom to strong attachment point at stern. I believe the dock line cleats are just screwed into the deck/hull flange without a backing plate on my 2004 model. I would be concerned about about structural failure at the hull connection point as well as the mast. I’m curious why you are using the Cat 22 spin rather than the stock Hunter asym?

However it is interesting that the store sells a masthead designed to connect a backstay for a mast setup that doesn’t need one???

2E11FCCA-636F-40B8-BFEB-9E81401B7789.jpeg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I just answered my “curious” question as I saw from one of your earlier posts that you found a deal on a used but actually never used Cat 22 sail.

The 216 I bought last fall came with the “mast block” and it really seems to remove.some of the flex in the mast. I also remember reading some posts about when the designer added the asym to the boat they had some mast failures and addressed them by changing the mast/spreader attachment point.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
In one of your previous posts you mentioned you were thinking of adding hydro turf to the cockpit floor. The existing nonskid strips on my 216 have worn off somewhat and I was thinking of a way to improve. Did you do that upgrade and if so are you happy with the result?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Hunter216
First I applaud your responses and suggestions but being cautious as well. Your approach is the same as I try to do. I really appreciate your help here and and I thank you sir

Both of us do have concerns of attachment of a backstay and I would be concerned due to construction. Again thank you and your contributions are important

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Dave
I guess as I age I find I don’t get any smarter but believe I get a little bit wiser Thanks for your comment. However I did get a hydrofoil for my windsurfer on my 65th Christmas so maybe not as wise as I let on!!!

H216sailor indicated in previous posts he has lots of sailing experience and would be using the spin in 10kts or less and also is wise enough to support the mast BEFORE he goes out and tries the sail. I would rather go sailing with someone who thinks before acting than one that doesn’t. I would include him in the grouping of “cautious” as well.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Dave
Do you have any insight as to why the store would carry a mast head for the 216 that is designed to connect a back stay??

Actually it looks there are three choices, the one mentioned in this thread, another the same but with what appears to be a light fixture and a third which is the double sheave that I have.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
I have been sailing my whole life and would consider myself a knowledgeable, cautious, inshore sailor and enjoy both cruising and racing. I'm using a Catalina 22 spinnaker because that's what I happened to find on craigslist close to me at a very reasonable price. I'd probably be happy with the stock asymmetrical spinnaker if my boat came with it. The boat I bought was in the best shape of all the hunter 216's I looked at, but was the only one that didn't have the racing package. I have never seen a Hunter 216 with a symmetrical spinnaker and since the spinnaker I have is larger than the stock spinnaker, I should be able to sail faster and deeper than the stock setup.

I bought the HydroTurf with the adhesive backing for $120 but I haven't installed it yet as the boat is currently put away for the winter. At the Newport boat show I saw a lot of sailboats with the foam decking and I liked it so I thought I'd give it a try. HydroTurf seems to be a little stiffer and slightly lower quality then the stuff I saw at the boat show, but I think the diamond pattern will hold a little better. Since the boat will have a spinnaker pole, it will require a little foredeck work which the boat was not designed for so I hope this will help. I won't install it until I've placed all the hardware on the deck. I bought only one 4'x8' piece and that should be plenty for what I want to do. might have a little left over for the cockpit. I'm also toying with the idea of adding lifelines. There are plenty of 22' end of life sailboats out there that would be suitable donors. As stated above, I plan on adding large backing plates to everything.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Another thing: What is the make and size of the spinnaker sheet blocks for the stock spinnaker package setup?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My boat is in storage so cant be sure but I think they are the same as the ones used for the jib. Mine are Harken and they have a ratchet setting that either lets them freewheel or hold under tension. My hull has two sets for the spin sheets. One close to the front of the cockpit and the set near the stern. I guess so that crew can trim from one location and stay out of the helms way. If I remember I will take some measurements on placement for you the next time I check on it and post here.
This photo is a normal ballpoint pen stuck in the sheeve.
8BADF24D-D02F-4CE5-AC14-DAD0D8028816.jpeg

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
You would have to ask the people here why they carry the other mastheads.

I would wonder if it was because they offer the single sheave or the lamp on top. Those parts are just standard mast parts made by a company. I stumbled on all that in my wandering. The company is just offering what people requested and that would be single sheave or a light and each just happens to be made with the extra holes.

I could be completely wrong, but that is my guess.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Thanks Hunter216! Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of. Harken's are great blocks, but very expensive. Are all four blocks ratcheting or just two? If its just two, are they the forward or aft ones? Was yours from the factory or did you add the spinnaker package yourself? Are they secured with a backing plate?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
H216
I am third owner so not positive but I believe it came with the asym, bowsprit etc so I assume the two sets are also original. I have seen other photos on the web of 216’s with two sets as well so I think I have a factory setup.
All 4 blocks ratchet and I didn’t get chance to try the asym before I stored it but I’m thinking the sheets would thread through the stern set which I would set to freewheel and then forward to the other set. Actually it took a bit for me to figure out why there was a second set forward, seems overly complicated and prone to line snarl at the block when you gybe but again I don’t have hands on yet.
I would think in light air that a set of simple blocks at the stern maybe just temp clipped to the dock cleats to try your full sym out to assess what the actual sheet load is like might be a inexpensive way to determine what you need.
Thanks for the info on the non skid stuff

Shorefun
Good guess on the mastheads. However they do include the word backstay in the part description. HMMMM the mystery continues

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
4 blocks is standard on the 216 as well as pretty much any boat with a spinnaker setup. The Harken ratcheting block is $180 x 4 = $720! Ouch! I'll have to come up with another solution. I'll be running small line for the sheets so I'll probably go with a slightly smaller block with only one retching block on either side to keep costs down.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Ouch $$$$ is right. What’s that saying about boats “hole in the water to pour money in”!

I just found this photo that might help with placement of the blocks.

80FB1376-AF4E-4C0B-927D-8A1AB5BCD966.jpeg