Auto Pilot for H34

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I guess I should of been more clear. I was wondering for the people who do have a rps installed did it show on the display the angle.
Sorry
Mine does not. But I do not have a rudder sensor. I find my EV100 to be superior to my ST4000. Plus the EV100 is NMEA 2000 and talks with my Garmin chart plotter.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Hey, Bub. Good to see ya still out there. I have the old 4000+ and am satisfied with it. The new generation stuff like the EV should be fine with the wheel drive unit. Be prepared to install a rudder reference unit even though they say it is ok without... and it may be ok, because of the upgraded sensors. Sorry I can’t help.
I never installed the rudder reference unit, can anyone send me pictures of how they installed it on a H34?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I installed a EV100 in 2017. It has served the purpose of managing the helm while I attend the sails or navigate the waters of the PacificNW. @Stu Jackson was spot on with his description of weaknesses.
My experience, the system holds a true course when receiving direct input. I set the course using the wheel, Engage the AP wheel lever, press the AP Auto button and we are off. Straight lines in the wake.

Under power and relatively calm seas she holds course for miles/hours.
I have had a couple of events. Once I placed a radio with magnetic speakers (boom box) a top the cabinet with the (StarTrek Enterprise looking) sensor and the boat did an immediate “Crazy Ivan”. The sensor does not play well with strong magnetic fields or large ferrous metal objects. Take this into account when locating the place for the sensor.

I feel the plastic nature of the wheel unit will eventually be the part that gives up the ghost. I have experienced the lever popping open. Solved by tensioning the screw on the lever. It likes the Alice touch. Not too tight not too loose.

Sailing is about balancing the sail plan. It is stingy on power. The ability to set the gain gives you a tight crisp route (Lots of micro adjustments to keep the tight track) or a softer more meandering course. I do not have the wind instruments, though you can bring them into play. I have set up depth by using a RayMarine ITC-5 box and an old transducer that was installed in the boat. Works great. Shows on the AP display. Numbers are small so you need sharp eyes to identify what is being displayed, or your need to have the AP unit located at the helm. The unit came with adequate cable to install pretty much anywhere. The SeatalkNG is easy to use and connect.

It is a good unit for coastal cruising in moderate weather. It works for my needs. It will work on your boat.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
View attachment 166190
one more photo. This is the stopper angle iron. It's not in this picture, but I had to add 3/4" of wood to the stopper to slightly limit the travel allowed by this, otherwise it would have been more than that allowed by the ram.

And lastly, although I have not completed this step, I do plan to drill a hole through the rudder post and insert a bolt through the post and the tiller arm. Right now, the friction of the screws that hold the tiller arm to the post are sufficient, but don't want to rely on that. Will drill once I'm certain the angles are correct and everything is calibrated. only get one shot at that hole....
Thanks for the detailed install and pictures, I'm sure I'll have question if I go this route.
Bub

Oct 22, 2014
As far as other options, two issues I came across. One is the quality of a fluxgate compass compared to the RayMarine new sensor. Second the exposure to open belts, lines and pulleys that can catch an unaware person near the helm. Granted such risks also exist with wind vanes and for that matter also winches. I felt the coverage of the wheel control belts and the motor favored the EV100, appearing a bit safer.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
As far as other options, two issues I came across. One is the quality of a fluxgate compass compared to the RayMarine new sensor. Second the exposure to open belts, lines and pulleys that can catch an unaware person near the helm. Granted such risks also exist with wind vanes and for that matter also winches. I felt the coverage of the wheel control belts and the motor favored the EV100, appearing a bit safer.
Ok thanks

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Bub,
Good to hear that you are back in Slidell.
Still have my boat in Oak Harbor on dock one, where you had your Hunter.
I have a Ray ST4000+. Installed a rotary position indicator on the rudder a couple of years ago.
Prior to installing the indicator, the rudder angle did not show on the AP instrument; now the rudder angle shows when
the AP is active; not when on standby. The EV200 linear drive, like PA installed, is very nice; would love to have one; however, the installation would be a bear on my boat because of limited access and the cost for the AP, alone, is now a bit over $3200. There were very few EV200's installed on my model; however, they were installed at the factory before the deck and hull were assembled. An EV100 wheel AP can be had for about $1300 with much simpler installation. For the type of sailing that I do, I will probably go the route of EV100 wheel when mine finally gives up.

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
yes, that is good advice. In retrospect the installation of the EV200 was a bigger job than I had anticipated. But I like DIY work and solving problems. Currently working on completely rewiring the AC and DC load centers with terminal blocks and creating a larger panel with hinged door to mount VHF, Chartplotter, ShipModul, AM/FM/CD/XM radio, battery monitor and bilge auto/on/off switch.... will post pictures when done.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Bub,
Good to hear that you are back in Slidell.
Still have my boat in Oak Harbor on dock one, where you had your Hunter.
I have a Ray ST4000+. Installed a rotary position indicator on the rudder a couple of years ago.
Prior to installing the indicator, the rudder angle did not show on the AP instrument; now the rudder angle shows when
the AP is active; not when on standby. The EV200 linear drive, like PA installed, is very nice; would love to have one; however, the installation would be a bear on my boat because of limited access and the cost for the AP, alone, is now a bit over $3200. There were very few EV200's installed on my model; however, they were installed at the factory before the deck and hull were assembled. An EV100 wheel AP can be had for about $1300 with much simpler installation. For the type of sailing that I do, I will probably go the route of EV100 wheel when mine finally gives up.
Hey BE, thanks for that info on the rudder angle. I agree for what kind of sailing we do it sounds like the EV100 is the right move for us. I already started planning for the AP. I just purchased the Raymarine rudder angle display and the transducer for it. Next it will be the EV100. Looks like the best deal so far is through Defender at $1229 with free shipping. Appreciate you responding and maybe one day we can hook up in the lake and do some sailing.

Bub

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I went from Raymarine ST4000+ to SPX5 on my Hunter 31, with the wheel drive. I have been happy with both autopilots but the SPX5 is more powerful and seems to hold course better in bigger seas. I find the rudder position indicator very useful, so do install one, it is simple and inexpensive. The Hunter 34 is within displacement range for the EV100 Wheel, so I would go that route.

I thought hard about installing a linear drive. I thing the quadrant is more than capable to take the "vector" loads, so I would not add the complication of installing a tiller arm. One idea that I had was to convert from wheel to tiller + power steering as these Hunters (31/34) have very nice emergency tiller steering access. I thought of installing the linear drive, adding a nice tiller and removing the steering cover completely so that there is more headroom above the berth. Coupled with a Raymarine power steering head, you will have a modern fly by wire control of the boat + emergency tiller when necessary. You also get more room in the cockpit after removing the Edson pedestal.

May not work for everyone and I have up on the idea myself but someone may find it useful.

SV Pizzazz

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I have the EV1, RPS, ACS100, p70s and mk2 wheel drive on our h36. It has worked really well and holds course off the wind better than the St6001/s1/fluxgate that it replaces. The rudder position is displayed on the p70s as a +/- 40 deg bar graph. I have suggested to Raymarine they make this graph only +/- 10 or 15 deg, because any more and I’m in the process of tacking/gybing, not on a course. A speed through the water sensor is also helpful for going to waypoints or using lay lines if your MFD supports them. The wheel is pretty still on most points of sail when the wind is at least 6-7 knts.

Yes, sail trim is important, and the rudder position display lets me check if the sails are getting out of trim. I use the A/P 95+ % of the time. When the wind has picked up and I haven’t yet reefed or retrimmed, I find that I will hear/see the rudder wake from the A/P needing to apply excessive rudder to maintain course against unbalanced sails to let me know there is a problem. It’s maybe 8-12deg on the display instead of my desired 2-5 deg. But the wheel drive has no issue with this situation and actually is pretty quiet. It may be grunting a little and swearing at me under its breath tho. It holds the rudder load well I think because that Lewmar rack and pinion /drag link on a 10” rudder stock lever(?) really makes steering this boat easy in most conditions I care to be in...ha. It’s almost like power steering.

To an earlier point, off wind tracking is improved due to the EV1 AHRS versus just a 3-axis flux gate. But your boat will still roll/yaw in following seas. It has a jibe inhibit that you can set to keep from getting too deep, but I’m too chicken to test that... The proof of good course holding is to export your gps track file and display it on a map. It holds a heading well. Light winds 3-4 knts work the wheel though and the pilot makes almost constant movements even on the lowest course holding setting. That’s probably a boat design issue, with shoal keel and spade rudder. I think any pilot would work in light winds on the h36, which is why a quiet linear drive would be cool. What’s also cool is to lock in windvane mode true on a day when the wind is oscillating and look at the gps track...

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
+1 on "I feel the plastic nature of the wheel unit will eventually be the part that gives up the ghost. I have experienced the lever popping open. Solved by pensioning the screw on the lever. It likes the Alice touch. Not too tight not too loose."

for my H31 - This is the 2nd time in four years with this unit that I had to have the drive unit repaired due to broken plastic part (see pic below). 1st time under warranty and second on me. Only good thing is you can purchase the rear cover (part with broken plastic screw receptacle) for $100 and about an hours time transferring internals from old unit to the new cover (chasing bearings around took a while). only other option would be to purchase a new drive unit for $625. Also had to purchase a new tension lever to get the tension "just right". old one (plastic of course) was not keeping tension.

I would also suggest purchasing and keeping on-board a replacement belt similar to what you would do for your engine.
InkedIMG_0231_LI.jpg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just received the Raymarine EV100 wheel pilot yesterday from Defender. Did a quick glance at installation instructions. Even though I already have a 4000st+, this system is completely different except for the actual wheel unit. Trying to determine optimum location for AC100 computer, compass, and backbone to eliminate magnetic interference and to utilize cables that came with unit, without having to purchase longer cables. Ironically, Raymarine highly recommends a rotary rudder position sensor; however, they don't include it in the kit. I previously installed one for my existing setup. Will likely wire it as a "stand alone" configuration without interfacing with other instruments / MFD, at least for now. Came with 3 year warranty.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
P7100337.JPG Transducer installation.JPG P7160346.JPG
Another rudder position mounting on the H-34.. I had to slightly bend the connector rod to clear the wheel, and file the corner of the aluminum travel stop" but it works fine.

Oct 22, 2014
Claude, if you survive Barry you will have fun with the new system. It has a better sensor then your old 4000, and the computer has an improved software. Be sure you connect the computer up to your MFD to download the latest software fixes. The system ships with the software that was available at the plant when manufactured. Mine came with 2 year old software. My friend @LeslieTroyer took the computer and the IP70 controller. Connected it to his Raymarine system and updated the software before I installed it.

The system is forgiving as to where you install the computer. The sensor (looks like the Star-trek Enterprise) is the part that should be away from ferrous metals and electrical fields. I found out the hard way how a Radio speaker can affect the sensor. Stuck a boom box down on the cabinet holding the sensor. Boat started to do “Crazy Ivans”. Fortunately I immediately removed the errant radio and all was again good in the world.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
John, We don't expect to have a problem with Barry..
Laughing, I am a luddite and don't have an MFD; I do have a chartplotter which serves my purposes well..