Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
How about some really cheap scupper covers for the pre 86 models with cockpit scuppers.
cockpit drain covers for scuppers from walmart.jpg
from Walmart for about 2 dollars each, aluminum.

Keeping insects out of boat like wasps etc. Staple square of window screen to back of vents on crib board. Was old stuff from a window repair so call it free recycling.
Insect screen on crib board.jpg

Cheap fix for drips from hatch cover over crib boards onto step down into cabin and then to bilge, Put a small spacer under the hasp on the top crib board and it makes the hatch overlap the crib board and Voila! no more leaks.
Spacer for sliding hatch.jpg

Cheap knobs to replace the wingnuts on the pop top hatch dogs and the foredeck hatch (on pre 85 ones with hatch in right place ha ha) from Lowes 5/16 inserts in each at ruinous price of 2.64 each plus tax.
knobs for lock downs (1).jpg

knobs for lock downs (2).jpg

knob for foredeck hatch.jpg

More to come see chapter 2 of assorted cheap fixes for Cat 22

Sep 14, 2014
How about a easy way to keep bugs out of the port lazarette and fuel storage area, Just put a piece of fiberglass window screen between the forward vent (i did same on aft facing one around the fuel line too) when I rebed the vent last time.
Insect screen in fuel vent.jpg
Pix is a little hard to take, but you can see the screen.
I also got tired of expensive wind gages on the shroud from Davis etc busting my beer budget for sailing so came up with cheap version using zipties and red nylon floss from Walmart sewing section.You get like 10 yards for 88 cents or so.
DIY wind gage.jpg

More to come, bird stuff you know cheep cheep !!!

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
The screen idea is fantastic and will be implemented on my boat before the season is done. I needed new dog knobs and saw the Lowes offering too, but I settled on these for hand comfort (head too if you happen to catch one on the scalp).

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71071-5-Star-16-Inch-18-5-Pack/dp/B073PTML2H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530363222&sr=8-2&keywords=POWERTEC+71071+5-Star+Thru+Knob+5/16-Inch-18,+5-Pack

You can see them at the top of this pic:

No right or wrong here.....Captain's choice.
Thanks for sharing all the tips @Jacktar

KBG

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
One other thing, no pix cause it is way too simple, put some old mothballs(not new synthetic but old naptha) in old sock and toss in far corners of boat, keeps wasps out.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 on mothballs, off season and in storage....not so much when in season/sailing/sleeping...(bad stuff, that naptha)...

Sep 14, 2014
Here is my cheap ac powered lamp , clips on pop top bar, plugs into onboard power strip (later project to be posted) about 6 bucks at walmart , comes with bulb.
20170811_131532.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Nice way to generate storage area on starboard back of bulkhead above galley and back of compass. Couple of cheap folder holders of clear plastic from a thrift store, couple of screws and Voila (french term =OMG) its done.
Plastic folder rack for stbd bulkhead storage.jpg

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
IMG_3336.JPG
I'm sure you've seen one before...but a simple paper towel holder with a couple of coat hooks for keys, hats etc.

Sep 14, 2014
No but you can choose blue, green, white or red and dim them too. wait for it. Only 19.95 for 4 lites.

Sep 14, 2014
Ok So here is the explanation for the remote on the bulkhead. Found a 4 lite LED stick up set in Sam's Club, has batteries included, 4 lites, stick up pads and a remote. The remote can change the color to white, blue, green or red and dim them as well. Only real trick is wipe down the mount surface with acetone to get a good stick. If problem area I used a pair of stick on velcro pads in one spot. Backup is since the light unscrews from its back plate with a twist you can even put a small short screw in to hold it up. I put one over galley, one over nav station, one over forward dinette compartment on port and last one over my hear area on stbd setee, nice lite for reading. Each can be turned on individually too by just tapping until right color is on. Location of remote lets me reach in at night and put all lights on low red with a click.
20180802_133619.jpg
Remote led stick up lite port aft.jpg
Remote for LED stick up lites.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
No , just add on that does not need me to find the master switch and turn on the boat. Can run down to dock (quick in and out to sail!) pop hatch, hit remote and see everything in cabin, check for leaks etc. Also quick way to put red lites on in cabin at night if needed without draining main battery already being used for nav lites and maybe depthfinder.

Sep 14, 2014
BTW , this is the most useful tool on land to do things for my boat, and refurbed it only cost 49 bucks from Walmart.
awning repair  (1).jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
how thick of material can that sew ?
I borrowed a commercial machine, but am considering getting my own. Lot's of thrift stores seem to have well built old ones.

Sep 14, 2014
I have done 4 layers of vinyl coated canvas, like two folded over seams intersecting at a corner and such. Use nylon thread and take it slow. But no problems to date, made a cover to snap on over companionway during rain without having to get out the crib boards.
Campanionway canvas cover (8).jpg