Are you Bi?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Bi-boater I mean....(Okay that was click bait... ) :biggrin:

I am wondering how many of us on this forum are secretly bi-boaters. What I mean is... how many of you are also power boaters? It is not uncommon to see a thread with an "us vs. them" theme with respect to power boaters (stink pots, credit card captains etc.). I have to be honest and confess that I've used some of those slurs myself... and I don't ever recall anyone on this forum outing themselves as also being in love with their power boat.

So now I am admitting that I regularly rent a pontoon boat for a weekend... especially if I have a large group that all wants to spend a day on the water together. And I can also imagine myself doing the great loop in a Trawler and liking it.... (at least until I have to pay the fuel bill).

So... are sailors really zealots as a group. I suspect that many of us simply prefer a day of sailing but any boat is better than riding a desk.

Chime in if you have something to say.;)

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm a sailing purist... until I'm not. Like you said, any boat is better than riding a desk.
I spend the occasional weekend at my aunt's cottage and enjoy taking the pontoon boat out on the lake or running through the locks to visit the towns on the neighboring lakes.
I've even had some very pleasant conversations with the owner of a power boat a few boats down :cool:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i have a 1948 shell lake cedar strip 15' motor boat with a kiekhaefer mercury rocket engine.
1611776941567.png
can you say muskie fishing. i also have

1611777211396.png

formula, 1987 242 SS with the 454 rat block. it will right the Ascow from the tipped over position. on a windless, flat calm day it will cruise at 45 with a top speed of 61. don aronow baby. i have a salmon fishing rack made of white oak that i made to fish on lake michigan. yeah, they laugh at me but i get home first. i can also run 30 miles offshore for the steelhead fishing and still get home for dinner. yummy.

yepper, i'm a boat geek. love them all.

got a trinka 12 too :cool:

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
At one point I lived on a 33' sportfish, drove an 18' Mako to work, which was sailing an 80' three masted schooner around the harbor three or more times a day, filled (hopefully) with touri. Sailing, free beer and they paid me to do it. If they'd only asked, I'd have done it for free! Ha.

May 25, 2012
restricting yourself to one mode of fun is foolish i think.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
We love canals - Hudson and Erie, England, Wales, Belgium, Holland and Germany, and that is all done by power boat.

May 25, 2012
200 miles in six hours? I want whatever you are smoking.
40 mph x 5hrs = a fun day. it's been done

1611779455669.png

and as far as the smoking part, sailors have had a 6,000 year relationship with hemp. and i'm an old hippy at heart. well, till that valdez thing and the testing started. what a bummer, changed everything.