Are you Bi?

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
This is sailing to me:
View attachment 189696

This is motorboating to me:
I grew up on a 23ft Larson. I have owned several powerboats. I worked as a marine mechanic through my 20's working mostly on go fast boats (fountain, skater, mti, cig,etc) . I still own a 20ft FourWinns and frequently go out on my buddy's Fountain.

Sailing is a new way of enjoying the water for me. I do not see me going back to powerboats unless it's a tritoon.

The freedom and frugality of sailing fits me much better than feeding dollars into a powerboat.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
i didn't mean to quote that post, but that bottom pic was at the lake I'm on. just up the channel a bit

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have had both power and sail. I raced scows in the 80s and 90s. During that time I had a 19 foot cuddy with a 350 Chevy for power. We used it as a crash boat and occasionally as a committee boat. It would easily do 50mph in smooth water, but not a good boat for Lake Michigan. My youngest son would use it for salmon fishing when he came up north for weekends and leave me with an empty fuel tank on Sunday night.
I sold the powerboat, and bought the Beneteau. Problem solved! Not counting the cost of sails, sailboat fuel is free, and I rarely use more than 10 gallons of diesel fuel per season.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Several years ago I was racing on a Pearson 30 Flyer in CORK at Kingston. It was a good regatta and there were a couple days with great wind and we were thrilled getting up over 8 knots. The owner of the boat had a friend with a 32 foot Fountain that showed up on the last day of racing. He had left the trailer in Brockville and a few of us hopped aboard for the run down the river. We covered those 45 miles in less than an hour going 60 most of the time. We were joking how we covered as much distance in an hour as we had in the past week of racing. The owner said he had to govern the engines which kept the top speed to 60, if he let it open up he could hit 90 but had blown out 2 transmissions so was holding back until the upgraded units arrived.
As much fun as it was, I'd rather be sailing.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I think there are quite a few in the closet (they have a sail boat for reasons of style, but seldom set the sails).

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Tom Tom Tom ...... that was funny. i had a good laugh.
you prolly would not like flying down the lake at 60 mph in a piece of furniture either.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
DN. in 1938 the Detroit News held a design contest to develop an ice boat that most could afford.

oh we like to play in the mid west

Last edited:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
OK, I'll admit it....I'm Bi.

1963 16' Starcraft with an 85HP Evinrude. (My grandfather bought it new, it had twin 35 HP Johnsons on it back then)
8' dinghy with a 4HP

Hang on, I think I'm Tri!
Canoe and kayak.

Cheers
dj

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I can't say that I was ever a moboater, but for a long time in my youth & early adult years, I did a fair amount of 3-event water skiing & 'footing. Slalom skiing was my favorite and I had a course on our own private lake for awhile. There is no sweeter ride than a tournament ski boat on glass water, but with their flat bottoms, they are a monster when there are waves or boat wake to contend with. I had a Malibu ski boat for over 20 years, finally using it for wakeboarding before giving it up. It didn't have the wake like the specialized boats do now.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I suppose if I have the analogy correct, I'm non-binary gender fluid type of boater? That is, "not exclusively sailing or motoring—‌identities that are outside the boating binary." I have a fishing boat that I share with my brother, Grady White 21'. Not often do I bring her up in any sailing threads, however, I've chased squid, scup, bluefish, and striped bass on many occasions with the Grady lady. You know I feel so much better letting that go...Thanks for allowing me to share.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Have to admit I ahve been for a long while. Once owned a Hunter 386, 56 ft Spindrift motoryacht to live on, 12' ft dinghy to get to the yacht club and 21 ft skiboat. Now we have a Hunter 46 to sail and crusie and a Symbol Sundeck 44 as a condo on the water with a view of San Francisco skyline.