Are you Bi?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
40 mph x 5hrs = a fun day. it's been done and as far as the smoking part, sailors have had a 6,000 year relationship with hemp. and i'm an old hippy at heart. well, till that valdez thing and the testing started. what a bummer, changed everything.
Oh, no doubt, even on a sailboat these days, but I was thinking cruising boat, stupid me.
I had a job maintaining a Cary 50; 4, 454 blown engines with outdrives and trim tabs. Miami from WPB in about an hour and a half. Somewhere around 700 hp each, I was told. Zoom, zoom, zoom.
She was Bernie Little's personal boat before my boss bought it.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Bi-boater I mean....(Okay that was click bait... ) :biggrin:

I am wondering how many of us on this forum are secretly bi-boaters. What I mean is... how many of you are also power boaters? It is not uncommon to see a thread with an "us vs. them" theme with respect to power boaters (stink pots, credit card captains etc.). I have to be honest and confess that I've used some of those slurs myself... and I don't ever recall anyone on this forum outing themselves as also being in love with their power boat.

So now I am admitting that I regularly rent a pontoon boat for a weekend... especially if I have a large group that all wants to spend a day on the water together. And I can also imagine myself doing the great loop in a Trawler and liking it.... (at least until I have to pay the fuel bill).

So... are sailors really zealots as a group. I suspect that many of us simply prefer a day of sailing but any boat is better than riding a desk.

Chime in if you have something to say.;)
Well, i guess i am in. Admiral is not feeling the love anymore ( for sailing, so far i am good) so with the realization that this summer will likely be the last with this boat i have been window shopping trailer walkarounds this winter. Grew up around power boats, never lost the love of " go fast", just came to also love "go quiet" !

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
is it a rip off or a tribute?
growing up in the midwest while playing all over the greatlakes. it's what i love.
i'll bet 99% of the people around here never even put a toe in the lakes.
like most people in denver don't ski.
i grew up in a family of water dogs led by my father. in the water, over the water, around the water, frozen water. oh we were wet.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i did not marry any so called admiral. not my cup of tea. she is welcome on all my voyages but she is crew like everyone else. if you can't keep up, i'll send you a postcard. just like when i worked on the ships. she does not curtail my passions.
fun fact: she will bait her own hook but she has refused to learn how to filet a fish. she can dock aeolus just as well as i can, just like my daughters.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Heresy... I say Heresy.

Speak not such words.:frown: It be the devils doing. :yikes:

Turn from the evil jezebel power boat and return to the light of sail and wind.

Seek not the path of gasoline and wake.

For it will be the decline of civilization.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
We have an older Sea Pro for use on those windless days at the lake. My sailing skills do not include making forward progress when the wind is breathless and the sun is baking. The barn currently houses our son's two powerboats. Must I count them because I enjoy fishing with him whenever he asks me to go along? We also restored a 1960 wooden Skee Craft and enjoyed that boat often.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I enjoy both. Driving a tasty looking power boat in smooth water is a pleasure. I used to fish a fair amount but tired of the gore. There are just some activities that work better from a power boat. Make mine a classic Chris Craft or something along that line. I don't need speed. But if there's no wind and you want some wind in your face styling in a classic fits the bill.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@Justin_NSA did you watch that video? They all end up doing a hard face plant when they hit the wake of a crossing boat.