Apostle Islands/Lake Superior Picture Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Dang, day late again...

Was looking up AI charts on e-bay and saw these postcards...thought I would put them on my list of places to see, but I guess I missed it by a century or so...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Normally we are lucky when the ice-out in the Apostles is by the end of April. Not this year!

Big picture from today, Just ice on the lower bay and from Roy's to Bassword!

Nov 21, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 First 260 Bayfield, WI
Fetching the mark! Can anyone identify the turning point?
Perfect sail!

Nov 8, 2010
Last weekend we raced in the AIS Spring Series. We were First To Finish in the first race, and had some wind issues in the last two. ;^) But even them sometimes we found it, here we are heading for home at 9 knots. Anyone know where?

Youtube Link

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Last weekend we raced in the AIS Spring Series. We were First To Finish in the first race, and had some wind issues in the last two. ;^) But even them sometimes we found it, here we are heading for home at 9 knots. Anyone know where?

Youtube Link
Just north of Basswood heading SW into the West Channel?

Nov 8, 2010
R4? Heading NNE, Oak Island in the background?
Please don't mention R4; we sat there in a hole in the wind for a hour on Sunday. The Basswood Troll strikes again.

Hint Dan, its a sunset, and we're heading for home.

Nov 8, 2010
Just north of Basswood heading SW into the West Channel?
Winner. Exactly.

That's Hermit at the start of the vid, and Basswood at the very end. The North Channel Express.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Please don't mention R4; we sat there in a hole in the wind for a hour on Sunday. The Basswood Troll strikes again.

Hint Dan, its a sunset, and we're heading for home.
Yeah, I forgot to look at the sun. I guess you would never see the sun setting over Oak if you were heading north. Must be Grants Point bouy?
Say, I've been thinking of doing the Around the Islands race (I saw you were already signed up) if I can find some crew willing and able. We've raced in the Race Week cruising class in the past but we've never done the Around the Islands. I was toying with soloing the race if I couldn't find crew.

Nov 8, 2010
You guys were flying! Betcha wish you had more of that video.
Yes... Our friend Steve charters a lot and has got us several times. Sadly each vid is exactly 15 seconds. Must be a 'feature' of his phone. But yes that would have been a fun one to have more of.

Re BFRW ATI, I'd have a go solo for sure if you cannot find crew. Downside is the NOR does not recognize a solo class, so you'd have to leave Otto von Helm in the OFF position. That might be busy.And Long. On the other hand if you are looking for a ride.....

CB

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Yes, "Otto", the German chauffer, does pose a problem going solo. I did the Lake Superior Solo Scramble two years ago and hand steered the whole thing just to see if I could do it. 120 miles and I was ready for Otto to take it back.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Hey...When is this race... I might be looking for experiance..???

I like to go fast and I won't scream like a little girl when she heels...??!!??

tsheie

Jan 9, 2012
San Juan 7.7 Bayfield WI
You'll probably know this one in a second, but it's one of my alltime favorite Apostles pics.. need just the right conditions to get in there for the picture, and when I draft 5.5', it's dicey! Know where?

Attachments

tsheie

Jan 9, 2012
San Juan 7.7 Bayfield WI
We pulled 2nd place in the Racing class (I think it was '06 or '07), and even finished before last call at the Rum Line.. you get so dopey at the end of a long race like that in the dark, we almost ran it up onto Long Island (favorite quote: "hey, I can smell pine trees..")

Nov 8, 2010
You'll probably know this one in a second, but it's one of my alltime favorite Apostles pics.. need just the right conditions to get in there for the picture, and when I draft 5.5', it's dicey! Know where?
Looks like the Rock at the top of Hermit. We leave that to port all the time in the AIS mid-distance races. You're right, you gotta know how close you can get. Looks like you are BEHIND it, which is a no-fly zone for Kestrel!

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Sorry JD, that rock is on the east end of Stockton just NE of Julian Bay, looking east (notice the empty horizon). I may have missed the sunset in your photo but I have my eagle eyes on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.