Anyone who doesn't post a photo today, will be barred from SBO.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
So I guess @Phil Herring didn't post. Well, he must be out then. It's a coup I tell you. Someone has thrown a Sabot into the machinery I tell you. Where's SBO Police Bot when you need her... err... him... oh whatever.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The dark side. No, I have no plans to buy one. ;)
It was very nice, but I couldn’t go below underway on the ocean without getting sick. It was so well equipped with “systems” that it draws 11 amps just sitting at idle anchor. (Front load large fridge and walk-in freezer, microwave, AC, genset etc). Exaggerating on the size of freezer but it was as big as most dirt dwellers have.
I still have my boat listed but don’t expect to sell in this market situation. I’m happy to sail it another summer if the pandemic doesn’t stop us from launching and using it. The way things are going with closures and social distancing I’ll be happy to just stay close and daysail. (My thoughts were to get a cat and trade a major setback in sailing performance in exchange for more interior space, but that will have to wait.) I still love my tri and I was on the fence about selling so that is OK. :thumbup:
I have to say I am not a fan at all of the front load frig..... I have one. Its nice on a hot day to open and feel all the cold air rush over your toes and then watch the batteries drain when the compressor turns on to cool it down again. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a launch not to far in the future. Hope to see you and finally have that drink!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@NYSail I have a small front opening fridge too, but mine draws about 3A with the compressor running (Which it does more than I’d like). My 370 watts of solar are able to keep up, with a surplus by midday on sunny days. The complexity of the electronic systems in that Jeanneau 440 charter boat were really daunting to understand. There were rows of large power control boxes and converters interconnected with wiring harnesses on the port aft cabin wall and beneath the aft berths, and I assume by the lit LEDs each draw power even at idle. Plus the entertainment system, WiFi etc. I don’t think the 11A drain was all from the fridge and freezer. But again, it was a very nice boat, comfortable at rest and very spacious with some innovative features in the cockpit and deck design, and it sailed pretty well considering it had a fixed prop and we were towing a heavy dinghy.

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Oh man, love the rock selection. Beautiful pond! I can see why the frogs like it there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Phil it looks like you trade up from a sail boat to a KOI pond. Probably straight across trade at the cost of Koi.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oh man, love the rock selection. Beautiful pond! I can see why the frogs like it there.
If there's one thing we grow in great abundance, here on our little farm in the Granite State, it's beautiful rocks.

Phil it looks like you trade up from a sail boat to a KOI pond. Probably straight across trade at the cost of Koi.
Double that when the herons come a callin.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
My unused swimming pool in Seminole Florida was turned into a Koi Pond a few years ago. Covered it with a mesh to keep the herons out. The Koi are 18" to 24" in 2 years. My father-in-law feeds them.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
LOL, talk about highjacking a thread! :yikes:

The netting is a last resort for me. But I've got a fake heron, two motion activated sprinklers, and 3 motion activated tac lights. It's worked for about 3 years... until today. They were clearly attacked by something, but usually they magically appear again by the end of the day so we'll see.

24" is impressive! I have (hopefully not had) two 20-inchers and a bunch of 12-inchers, then some fingerlings. I buy nothing but fingerlings and let them grow.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Sorry! Escape under Chute in Belfast Bay, ME, then at anchor in a beautiful cove west of Boothbay, just above the townsend gut swing bridge (last on in Maine). I have to find it, but several years ago we took a flotilla of 16 Hunters through the gut (with prior arrangement with the bridge and the police). traffic was backed up all over the place as people stopped to take pictures!
68286454_10100236061512785_2991787606083108864_n.jpg

last year, en route from Rockland to Camden we got caught in a wicked storm, couldn't outrun it... My daughter commented that the dodger and bimini were really nice because we weren't getting wet - I responded yes, but it made it tough to see the lobster pots. My 6 year old grandson jumped up and said "I've got it Papa!" and for the next two miles he knelt on the bow pointing out pots. As we pulled into Camden he turned around and with a huge grin, gave me a thumbs up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
they magically appear again by the end of the day so we'll see.
When do you feed them? The Koi not the heron.

My grandma raised gold fish in her ponds. Being in the carp family they would show at feeding time and disappear the rest of the day.