Anyone see hull moisture abaft the anchor locker drains in H466-2003?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 466 Havre de Grace, MD
Getting an insurance survey done and the surveyor reports finding moisture in both sides of the hull abaft the anchor locker drains. This is in a 2003 model H466. Because of the symmetry, the surveyor is asking me about the possibility that there is some product incorporated in the hull that may be triggering the meter. Does anyone have similar experience? Marlow-Hunter disclaims all knowledge of Hunter models and are unhelpful.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You might look at post #16 in this thread. Yesterday I inspected the anchor locker and noted a small amount of water accumulation in the base of the locker since the drain is above it due to a poor design in my opinion. Locker should be self draining. Might raise the anchor locker floor with an inspection hole so the anchor locker "free" drains.

Feb 21, 2013
Did you really mean forward anchor locker? If so, my 2005 Hunter 46 anchor locker through hull drains are about 1 in higher than the floor near the bow. Cannot understand why Hunter installed these at this elevation/location, which does not allow the locker to be free drain. Fortunately the locker floor is sloped towards the bow. Anchor Locker 1 photo, looking away from the bow, shows no standing water. Anchor Locker 2 photo, looking towards the bow, shows standing water below the through hull drain close to the bow. Do you have the same issue?

I contacted my fiberglass guy and he is going to modify the anchor floor on each side of the partition with fiberglass OR install a through hull drain on each side of the boat to allow all the water to free drain out. Any other suggestions welcome.

Attachments

Nov 1, 2009
Hunter 466 San Diego, CA
I had to rebuild my anchor locker in 2017 due to water penetration in the floor of the locker that eventually migrated to the aft bulkhead. Chain abrasion was the primary culprit but the standing water and poor location of the drains contributed. Pull the shelf unit out above the forward bunk and look down at the bottom of the bulkhead. Mine had a section about 12"x12" that was saturated with water.

KKMI Richmond pulled it all out and rebuilt it with proper drainage, plus added a nice shelf below the windlass to store small fuel jugs, all made of glass. And it was NOT cheap.

allan
sv Follow You
San Diego, CA

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
David, Not sure how the drain tube is installed on a Hunter 466 but they probably used similar methods. On my boat, the drain is about 3 inches off the bottom on the port side and way up on the starboard side (I assume as a backup. The drain is nothing more than a piec if pvc tubing that is inserted and then "gooped" with some type of sealant that eventually failed on my boat. I was able to remove the pvc tube by taking off the clamshell on the outside. I then trimmed as much of the sealant from the inside and drove the short tube into the anchor locker. I then made my replacement pvc tube with a collar on it to provide a more secure way to apply the sealant. You'll see my repair in the forum link below. Note that I sealed the outside too with 4200 and the replaced the clamshell. I'd check around that drain. I don't know if yours is constructed the same but i'd start with that.

Feb 21, 2013
OP, so the survey's fiberglass meter indicated moisture in the fiberglass. Never ran into that. Please share any any additional information.

Feb 21, 2013
I crawled into my anchor locker today and could not find a leak path. I vacuumed the small amount of residual rain water below the through hull drains one inch above the floor on each side of the boat. No reason why you should have water in the fiberglass in my opinion. My anchor locker is sealed so no leak path that I can find.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
both sides of the hull abaft the anchor locker drains.
David used the "salty Sea" term abaft - meaning "nearer the stern than, behind". Though it could be confused with "in or behind the stern of the ship".

I think @sail sfbay has identified the likely area of concern. The voids need or behind the Anchor Locker.

With the open anchor locker hatches it is easy for water to get in there. Many boats use "limber holes" to pass the excess water out of the locker and back to the bilge for pump out or out of drain holes. When Water gets trapped it will find a path to exit. The may be a crack or hole in the fiberglass and then problems occur.

David your Surveyor may have found a serious issue. Hope you can identify the issue and address it with a proper repair. Interesting use of a salty sea term, not of frequent use.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Getting an insurance survey done and the surveyor reports finding moisture in both sides of the hull abaft the anchor locker drains. This is in a 2003 model H466. Because of the symmetry, the surveyor is asking me about the possibility that there is some product incorporated in the hull that may be triggering the meter. Does anyone have similar experience? Marlow-Hunter disclaims all knowledge of Hunter models and are unhelpful.
I've had my 2003 since new up here in sunny Washington. I will sometimes have residual rain water in the locker, less than an inch. The locker is sealed so I have no leakage from the locker. On warmer days I open the locker and let it dry out. Hasn't been a problem.