Water in compartment below Anchor Locker 2000 Hunter 460?

drtsr1

Nov 14, 2013
Hunter 460 Palm Beach
I seem to have water in a compartment below the Anchor Locker. Not sure how to get the water out without drilling a hole in the wall that separates the Anchor Locker from the main interior (master).

I am looking for information on the dimensions, pictures anything that describes this compartment. And to talk with some that has experienced the same issue.

Rick

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Any idea how it got there? Blocked drain in the anchor locker? Can you drill from that compartment thru the hull?

drtsr1

Nov 14, 2013
Hunter 460 Palm Beach
I assume that there must be a crack in the floor of the locker. Probley from a dropped chain or anchor. I dont want to drill from the locker but from the inside the cabin. That is why I am looking for the design spec's for that area.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My Hunter 46 manual did not appear to have a schematic diagram of the anchor locker and adjacent compartment(s) so consider consulting with the ex-Hunter design team on this website.

Jan 22, 2008
I do not understand why you need "specs"or a "schematic" (both of which you will probably never get). Can't you look at the boat/compartment and see what it is? SO, answer this>.. Does your anchor locker have a drain to let water OUT OF IT? Should be 2-3 inches above the bottom of the locker. Smart boats would have a second drain hole a few inches above the lower one so it can drain the locker in case the lower hole is stopped up.Believe me, it happens. Otherwise, water can back up in the anchor locker and will flow to whatever exit it can find- and maybe sink a boat. Regardless if YOUR water is ending up in the cabin, it should not be accumulating in the anchor locker. The crack in the floor would be a separate problem, but take on one at a time.

Feb 21, 2013
A schematic diagram of the anchor locker and adjacent compartment(s) would be very helpful to confirm: 1) if there is potential leak path other than through the anchor locker drain and 2) joint connection adequacy. That is the type of information we use in the oil refining industry to determine the root cause failure mechanisms and then systematically identify mitigation measures and execute.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Rick, different model boat here, but any water that accumulates in our anchor locker will drain through two separate through hull drains; one above the other. Any crack/leak in the locker will allow water to drain to the bilge for evacuation. Yours should be set up in a similar way. Does this compartment beneath the anchor locker serve a purpose? Seems a puzzle that you have standing water in a compartment; perhaps a missing limber hole.

Jan 22, 2008
A schematic diagram of the anchor locker and adjacent compartment(s) would be very helpful to confirm: 1) if there is potential leak path other than through the anchor locker drain and 2) joint connection adequacy. That is the type of information we use in the oil refining industry to determine the root cause failure mechanisms and then systematically identify mitigation measures and execute.
If anything, you'd probably be thinking of an engineering drawing, but I'm sure there is a nautical name for it- "scantlings"?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check the anchor locker for what are called Weep Holes. They allow water to pass from one space to another and eventually into the bilge.

Another possibility is your anchor locker has a drain to the outside. Some are on the side of the bow, others go out a small hole in the front of the bow on the hull. Look for an opening. If the water is staying in the anchor locker then there is something blocking one of these drains. You just need to find the drain and clean out the mud rocks or shells that is causing the blocka

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Check the anchor locker for what are called Weep Holes. They allow water to pass from one space to another and eventually into the bilge.

Another possibility is your anchor locker has a drain to the outside. Some are on the side of the bow, others go out a small hole in the front of the bow on the hull. Look for an opening. If the water is staying in the anchor locker then there is something blocking one of these drains. You just need to find the drain and clean out the mud rocks or shells that is causing the blocka
I posted about this a few months ago.
The bottom of the anchor locker is plywood with a Fiberglas skin.
If there are cracks in the Fiberglas, the wood rots. You really want to check this out. It’s not a small repair job. Just advising you.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
We had the same issue with our H34. It turned out that the hose that connected the anchor drain to the through hull had cracked and was leaking into the room below the v berth. This resulted in 6 inches of water below the v berth.

Attachments

drtsr1

Nov 14, 2013
Hunter 460 Palm Beach
Thanks for all the input, I really need the design specs for the compartment

drtsr1

Nov 14, 2013
Hunter 460 Palm Beach
I do not understand why you need "specs"or a "schematic" (both of which you will probably never get). Can't you look at the boat/compartment and see what it is? SO, answer this>.. Does your anchor locker have a drain to let water OUT OF IT? Should be 2-3 inches above the bottom of the locker. Smart boats would have a second drain hole a few inches above the lower one so it can drain the locker in case the lower hole is stopped up.Believe me, it happens. Otherwise, water can back up in the anchor locker and will flow to whatever exit it can find- and maybe sink a boat. Regardless if YOUR water is ending up in the cabin, it should not be accumulating in the anchor locker. The crack in the floor would be a separate problem, but take on one at a time.
** The locker is approx. 24-36" deep and sealed.. That is why I need the schematic.

drtsr1

Nov 14, 2013
Hunter 460 Palm Beach
We had the same issue with our H34. It turned out that the hose that connected the anchor drain to the through hull had cracked and was leaking into the room below the v berth. This resulted in 6 inches of water below the v berth.
**This seems to be simular, but I have no hose.. the compartment is approx. 24-36" deep and sealed..

Nov 1, 2009
Hunter 466 San Diego, CA
I repaired the same problem on my 2003 H466 in 2017. As others have noted, the glass over marine plywood eventually gets soggy due to poor drainage and chain chafe. In our case it leaked long enough to turn the forward bulkhead to mush down low where the void is below the anchor locker. Definitely check that....

KKMI Richmond replaced all with fiberglass and re-leveled the anchor locker floor so that there was better drainage, increased the height of the center divider to better contain 300’ of chain and added two nice shelves for fuel cans. It’s a big $ project unless you DIY it.

allan
sv follow you
Nuevo Vallarta

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter 460 Maryland
I have the same water on my 460. 2000. I haven’t seen a scantlings or drawing for that compartment, but there is one showing there are two clamshells on each side for anchor locker draining. These aren’t for the void underneath. I suspect I have the same issue with a cracked or leaking anchor locker and when under power or above 5 knots the water comes in through the lower clamshell, drains through the crack and into the void. The void has a limber hole which allows it to drain to the area under the forward bookshelf and on back to the bilge pump.

Rather annoying that the anchor locker floor wasn’t made more sturdy and water tight. Tonight at the dock I hope to Empty the anchor locker and sight the crack to finally confirm where my mystery water has been coming in for the last year.

Thanks for the great posts and all the information. If you do find a drawing, please share.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have the same water on my 460. 2000. I haven’t seen a scantlings or drawing for that compartment, but there is one showing there are two clamshells on each side for anchor locker draining. These aren’t for the void underneath. I suspect I have the same issue with a cracked or leaking anchor locker and when under power or above 5 knots the water comes in through the lower clamshell, drains through the crack and into the void. The void has a limber hole which allows it to drain to the area under the forward bookshelf and on back to the bilge pump.

Rather annoying that the anchor locker floor wasn’t made more sturdy and water tight. Tonight at the dock I hope to Empty the anchor locker and sight the crack to finally confirm where my mystery water has been coming in for the last year.

Thanks for the great posts and all the information. If you do find a drawing, please share.
So, good to know I’m not the only one that had an anchor locker floor turn into rotting plywood. You could have literally filled a litre bottle with all the water trapped in it.
Chiseled our all the wood, and replaced with glass mat. Expensive job.

Feb 21, 2013
After reading all the above posts it appears Hunter engineered out that issue in later models. Glasing the floor and sloping ir to the thru hull drains eliminats that issue for those who have done that.