Anyone planning to tour the San Juans this summer?

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Oh, one other thing. Best investment I made in my boat is my Standard Horizon VHF/AIS. Lot's of ferry traffic through the San Juans and you may cross some shipping lanes also. It's wonderful to be able to see all that traffic on the AIS, especially if you get caught in the fog.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
What's wrong with tying a spare fender or a small buoy onto the rode with a prussik knot after you set the anchor? Then in an emergency or even if you want to come back to the same spot later, you can just cast off the rode and go. Upon return, just hook the buoy and tie off the rode again. You'd want to be careful to not leave the rode in a state that other boats could tangle in it.
With a ball float/fender, This method is used all the time in rivers from fishing boats so that they can cut loose in a hurry to fight a salmon, sturgeon, or striper, and then come back to the same exact spot to continue fishing.... we have also done it on an ocean reef when diving, for several reasons, one of which is for the safety of the divers.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Oh, one other thing. Best investment I made in my boat is my Standard Horizon VHF/AIS. Lot's of ferry traffic through the San Juans and you may cross some shipping lanes also. It's wonderful to be able to see all that traffic on the AIS, especially if you get caught in the fog.
Rosario Strait in morning=fog and ferries... I've gone fromAnacortes through Thatcher Pass and in to Deer Hbr in the fog doing the ferry dance. Excellent exercise in usage of plotter/radar/compass/AIS/autopilot. Develop a compass course and follow it not being able to see your bow while maintaining situational awareness. No autopilot allowed. Sort of like being under the hood in an airplane...And August is fogest in areas around here...Usually clears by early aft. But dont let fog warnings deter you. Just be prepared to sit it out or leave later to another destination not so far away. Hey wrist, where in Anacortes?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Whoops forgot the depth sounder. Sometimes you might have to follow a contour..And when i enter a fog bank, whats the very first thing I do? All electronics aside, I note a compass course. As in flying, sometimes a 180 is best...sorry, I'm on my second glass......

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Hey Mark, I keep my boat ar Cap Sante, dock L. In fact! I'm laying in the V berth now, crashing on the boat tonight for the Foul Weather Race to Friday Harbor tomorrow.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Good luck. I hear the WX is changing and it might be a floater. If we didnt have family in for the wknd, I'd hop the ferry and see ya in Fri Hbr. We dont race the boat. Not setup for it and I'd have to learn some rules....Were in Anacortes Marina D55

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Left early last week for a solo mid winter cruise. Not so bad when I left but a crappy weather week; wind, rain, etc.. Lumpy night in Pelican Beach. Tried Eagle Harbor, but little protection from the southerly. Nice in Cypress Head, quiet, better protection from the wind.

My buddy boater was supposed to rendezvous with me, but preferred the Anacortes Marina slip where he resides. Boo.

Four mooring balls to choose from. Used to be one, sometimes none. The one closest to the channel has a red label thin water warning. Unwise for displacement boats.

Amazing that all mooring balls were available to choose from. Eagle Harbor has 13 and Pelican six. Just a bunch of wusses.

Today looks very nice for a Friday Harbor race day. Let us know how you do.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Lest you miss a post that I made in another section...

Here is what I did for our anchor lock. Drilled a 1/4" hole through the bow roller in line with the anchor shaft slot where the chain shackle attaches. Found a SS bolt long enough to extend through the bow roller with the threads cut off. Drilled a small hole through the bolt head for the lanyard and the bolt end for the cotter pin. Lanyard made from SS strand wire secured to the head with compress fitting. Ditto the cotter pin made from a SS ring.

The PO used a bungee cord to secure the anchor to the roller. Wanted something more secure, simple, strong, low cost and reliable. Made this in 2002, anchoring hundreds of times and in all kinds of sea states. Works well for our needs.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Left early last week for a solo mid winter cruise. Not so bad when I left but a crappy weather week; wind, rain, etc.. Lumpy night in Pelican Beach. Tried Eagle Harbor, but little protection from the southerly. Nice in Cypress Head, quiet, better protection for the wind.

My buddy boater was supposed to rendezvous with me, but preferred the Anacortes Marina slip where he resides. Boo.

Four mooring balls to choose from. Used to be one, sometimes none. The one closest to the channel has a red label thin water warning. Unwise for displacement boats.

Amazing that all mooring balls were available to choose from. Eagle Harbor has 13 and Pelican six. Just a bunch of wusses.

Today looks very nice for a Friday Harbor race day. Let us know how you do.
John stand ya up?

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Good God what an excellent day of sailing today! Perfect winds from the SE in the teens, sun shining the whole day, spinnaker flying for most of the race. I think we did pretty well, at least we left quite a few boats in our wake. I'll find out shrtly at the awards. God I love it up here in the barren arctic wastelands of the PNW!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Took a hike on so side of Deception Pass. Saw the fleet up north and noticed the SE winds. Saw no spinnakers though..glad it was a good day

Dec 25, 2000
Looking for a reputable sail repair shop in Anacortes. Any recommendations? My main has a small tear at the upper Dutchman slot that needs patched.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ullman loft. In the top of the Marine servicenter bldg. not the yard. They have a separate bldg for indoor work and parts. Talk to Vince Townrow

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Terry, the route was through Guemes Channel, across Rosario Strait, through Thatcher Pass, up the east side of Lopez, down the west side of Lopez and into Friday Harbor. The return trip Sunday was quite the ride. Started calm then blew harder as the day went on, with each island rounding presenting a new weather pattern. We went through all 4 headsails and all mainsail reefs, some twice, in that one return trip. I'll tell ya, it wore me out barking all those orders to the crew!