Anyone planning to tour the San Juans this summer?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Well said centerline. I use recycled ground tackle for ours; one that has an eye on one end with a tail of about ten to fifteen feet. As I approach the mooring field, I ready the boat by placing the eye end of the mooring line on the starboard bow cleat, drape the tail under the bow roller an hang the remaining tail over the port side pulpit. I open the boat hook and rest the hook end on the port side pulpit.

Normally I will position the boat directly into the wind as I aim the bow of the boat right at the mooring ball then do a slight shift to starboard followed by a soft burst in reverse as the bow slowly passes by and stops at the ball. At that point I do a dash to the bow, grab the ring with the boat hook and lift the ring up, thread the tail through the ring, release the hook and secure the tail to the port side cleat.

Our boat has a high freeboard, so depending on wind conditions, the above process works about 100% of the time, unless a strong wind (20+ knots) catches the bow and forces it away from the ball. Our boat weighs 35,000 pounds, so if I grab the ball with the hook, I'd best be quick about it, otherwise the hook will stay with the ball as the boat decides to go elsewhere. That I must say is another story, which is why I keep three hooks on board.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I usually approach the mooring going upwind or current and put the ball right next to the boat at the cockpit. Lift it up a few ft with the hook and put a line through the ring. As the boat slides downwind, walk the the ball to the bow. Usually works...

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I usually approach the mooring going upwind or current and put the ball right next to the boat at the cockpit. Lift it up a few ft with the hook and put a line through the ring. As the boat slides downwind, walk the the ball to the bow. Usually works...
This method works well for us also...

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
its my opinion that one should never clip directly into the mooring ball ring, but rather pass their mooring line thru the ring and back to a cleat on the boat... this way you can always get loose from it easily in almost any event....
This. We had to get off a mooring at Doe Bay in a hurry and had I tied to the ring we might not have gotten out of the way in time (less than a foot under the keel and some big wake closing in.) Of course it's possible nothing would have happened but I didn't know what was underneath us and wanted to avoid banging on rocks if possible.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
These stories make the case for doing something similar when at anchor too so that you can bug out quickly without having to haul up the ground tackle. What's wrong with tying a spare fender or a small buoy onto the rode with a prussik knot after you set the anchor? Then in an emergency or even if you want to come back to the same spot later, you can just cast off the rode and go. Upon return, just hook the buoy and tie off the rode again. You'd want to be careful to not leave the rode in a state that other boats could tangle in it.

Dec 25, 2000
These stories make the case for doing something similar when at anchor too so that you can bug out quickly without having to haul up the ground tackle. What's wrong with tying a spare fender or a small buoy onto the rode with a prussik knot after you set the anchor? Then in an emergency or even if you want to come back to the same spot later, you can just cast off the rode and go. Upon return, just hook the buoy and tie off the rode again. You'd want to be careful to not leave the rode in a state that other boats could tangle in it.
Interesting idea, but probably would recommend avoiding such a maneuver for a couple of reasons:
1. If it is your only anchor, you may need it while away.
2. Some might mistake it for a pot float, haul it up to see whether they can benefit from your supposed catch, only to find a nice anchor and decide to keep it. Not to say that that would happen, it just invites the curious.

If it were my boat I would not do it.

Jul 23, 2013
You're right, definitely not with my only anchor and not in an area where it could be mistaken for a pot float. I was thinking of some of the remote anchorages where we normally cruise that see very little use. I've seen it done there by others.

Dec 25, 2000
If that is something you want to try I would recommend a float that resembles a private mooring ball; round, red or yellow in color and maybe one to two feet in diameter. Most respectable sailors will avoid these as they have the appearance of private property, which are somewhat common here. Others might try to borrow it for awhile then move when the owner shows up.

Most even remote anchorages around the islands become busy during the peak season. The bottom end of west and east sound on Orcas not so much because of the travel distance off Harney channel.

Just some things to consider.

Jul 23, 2013
Tonight's question is about fuel for your outboard. How much do you carry, how often do you refuel, where do you refuel? I have an 8 HP four-stroke and can either carry a 3 gal. or 6 gal. tank. I assume I'd take the 6 gal. and refuel after I get a sense for how much fuel I'm going through. But I'd rather keep the weight down and the 3 is easier to lug around if it doesn't mean running low on fuel.

Dec 25, 2000
Several places to purchase fuel around the islands. Anacortes (usually best price), Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor, La conner, Port Townsend, Coupeville, just to name a few. Do you know how much your engine burns per hour at what boat speed? Given the distance between some of these anchorages, the six gallon tank might work out better for you.

Jul 23, 2013
Off the top of my head, I think it's 1/2 gal./hr. at hull speed. What are some of the longest popular hops?

Dec 25, 2000
Off the top of my head, I think it's 1/2 gal./hr. at hull speed. What are some of the longest popular hops?
With favorable currents and wind:

La conner to Anacortes one to two hours.
Anacortes to Friday Harbor three to four hours.
Friday Harbor to Roche one hour.
La conner to Coupeville two hours.

Jul 23, 2013
Piece of cake.

What about the orcas? How common is it to see them and where are the best places?

Dec 25, 2000
Piece of cake.

What about the orcas? How common is it to see them and where are the best places?
We've had good luck there. Some places:
o West side of San Juan Island
o Spieden Channel
o Haro Strait

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Terry

You have started very good discussions. Keep it coming.

Meanwhile what do you think about stern tie (600 ft. spool) for Howe Sound, Jervis Inlet, and Desolation. I ask because I plan of a good bit of time touring these areas this coming summer.

Charles

Dec 25, 2000
Terry

You have started very good discussions. Keep it coming.

Meanwhile what do you think about stern tie (600 ft. spool) for Howe Sound, Jervis Inlet, and Desolation. I ask because I plan of a good bit of time touring these areas this coming summer.

Charles
Hi Charles, stern ties come in handy at times. I've used it before with mixed results. It seems that anchor holding with a stern tie in a blow can be problematic, especially with the wind abeam. Otherwise, a 600' spool of poly can make a tight anchorage around other boats more comfortable. See the following link that shows how I rigged mine.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=7559&mn=42

Been by Howe Sound and Jervis Inlet before, but into Desolation Sound a number of times. Smuggler Cove has rings in the rock to tie up on the way to Desolation, Melanie Cove, too. But not sure there. Malaspina Inlet goes into Okeover Inlet, a very nice anchorage. The Laughing Oyster restaurant with dock access for dining out. Grace Harbor and Todd Inlet also worth a stop over.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Maybe it's my unfortunate luck, but I have yet to see an orca. Though other people seem to spot them immediately after I leave an area, so maybe I'll start posting my location on here so people will know where to go look.