Anyone have experience with Sunforce/Coleman Solar Panels ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Good Morning :)

I picked up a Coleman 40 watt Mono-Cristalline Solar Panel with Charger Controller for $75 USD ($95 CAD).
http://sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=254

It looks like it may work for mounting on the stern, without getting in the way.
The panel is 31"x14"x1" in size.
It comes with a charge controller.

Any experience with these units ?

@ShotgunSlim In an old thread, you posted some photos of your panel mounted on the stern pulpit. How is that location working out for you ? Do you leave it mounted ?
(it seems we can't post to real old threads)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
It works great when I put the panel on the boat. It keeps the battery topped off, doesn't get in the way and hasn't fallen off the boat while sailing yet. It even makes a pretty good table for light items when hanging out in the cockpit after sailing. Honestly though, I have only been out once where I had the panel on the boat, most of my sailing is day sailing at this point but I hope to go to the lake for a couple of days soon.
DSC00302.JPG
DSC00303.JPG

Jim W.

Oct 24, 2013
Catalina 22 1988 Shediac Bay
We have the same one (Coleman 40watt), it works great. We only used shore power for two nights last summer during a 10 day cruse and just because we could. Our battery was pretty much full charged all summer, we have a radio, gps, vhf and phone chargers, plus, cabin , anchor and running lights (all LED) and never felt we had to conserve power. We spent most every weekend on the boat, Friday after work to Sunday evening and an evening or two through the week.

As for mounting - we opted to just lay the panel (flat, not with the stand up) on the cockpit seat when we were not on the boat, then stow it below while on the boat. For longer stays we would just lay it from seat to seat across the stern under the tiller.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
No experience with the Coleman, but you might (or might not!) like this mounting method I came up with. It's cheap, looks decent, stays completely out of the way, and the panel can be articulated up and down about 135 degrees, so it can be aimed anywhere to starboard or even slightly to port if you extend the legs fully. I had a 15 watt Harbor Freight panel on it, which I just upgraded to a 30 watt Renogy and a better controller.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I have had a Coleman 10 watt panel for several years. http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-58025-Amorphous-Solar-panel/dp/B006FW3G2G. I just leave it sitting in the cockpit at the mooring hooked up to the cabin battery and stow it when sailing. I put clips on the battery connectors so switching only takes a few seconds. Keeps the battery fully charged and ready for the weekend. This past winter, for the first time, I left my batteries on board. I left the Coleman on the foredeck (no shrinkwrap) connected to the starter battery and ran jumper cables to the cabin battery from there. I have to admit I was surprised it worked. Both batteries were fully topped off when I uncovered the cockpit.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Based on @Jim W. and @danm1 replies, looks like I'll try the panel for now. :)
Got it cheap enough so should be able to recoup 50% of that if I sell it.

But @Gene Neill @ShotgunSlim and @danm1 were less helpful because now I have 3 options on how to mount, or not mount, it. LOL:biggrin:

Oh Oh no that doesn't help at all !:poke:

decisions decisions....

Gene, is that ziptied to the upper rail ? Velcro Strap ?

Slim. I'm liking the "table" idea. A panel for the top that has fiddles comes to mind. Not only make it a better table,but protect the top from damage when stored below if required.

hmm..

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
The Admiral bought me one of those forty watt colemans for a gift, we've used it for week long trips(no fridge) swapping between banks when the light on the regulator goes from red to green, keeps things charged up like a hot damn! I was so impressed I waited till they went on sale and bought another(I may just buy a frdge)

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
The Admiral bought me one of those forty watt colemans for a gift, we've used it for week long trips(no fridge) swapping between banks when the light on the regulator goes from red to green, keeps things charged up like a hot damn! I was so impressed I waited till they went on sale and bought another(I may just buy a fridge)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@Captn Scotty ok looks like i'll give it a go then.

@Gene Neill , I may just do a combination of your and @ShotgunSlim 's mounting.
My BBQ is currently mounted where your panel is.
I love the adjustable angle setup and the ability to tilt it out of the way, but I also like the stern position and use a as a table options.
Heavy zip ties would work for the hinge. I think I may have some heavy duty UV resistant ones lying around.

I'm looking forward to getting the boat back from the farm, so I can get her ready for the season. :)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I used to mount the BBQ in that spot too, 'til I got the idea from CaptDon to put it at the stern, where I find it MUCH easier to use, standing upright, with both feet firmly on the floor. Panel can be placed level and used as a table, although I never have.

Motor, BBQ, swim ladder, solar panel ... nothing gets in the way of anything else.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I used to mount the BBQ in that spot too, 'til I got the idea from CaptDon to put it at the stern, where I find it MUCH easier to use, standing upright, with both feet firmly on the floor.
Nice configuration.

Alas our BBQ is a rectangle type with the bracket in the middle. Can't put on the stern because either ladder or motor is in the way.

Apr 1, 2016
Catalina 22 14735 Lake St Clair, MI
I was considering something like this to keep the 12V topped off. Is there any need for some type of charge controller? Is there any danger of leaving it hooked up for a period of time after the battery has been fully charged? I like the idea of hooking one up and leaving it in the cockpit while the boat is sitting at the dock.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
That's what I do. It has some sort of built in regulator. No separate controller with the 10 watt panel referenced above.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I used to mount the BBQ in that spot too, 'til I got the idea from CaptDon to put it at the stern, where I find it MUCH easier to use, standing upright, with both feet firmly on the floor.
Nice job, Gene.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
From the q and a on amazon:
Does not need a charge controller. Has built-in diode circuit to prevent reverse current flow when dark. Just connect directly to battery

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
From the q and a on amazon:
Does not need a charge controller. Has built-in diode circuit to prevent reverse current flow when dark. Just connect directly to battery
Dan,

Here's the text of what you refer to:

Question:

If I use this without a charge controller, does this have a diode already?

Answer:

yes

Your conclusion is simply incorrect. Diodes and controllers are two separate things.

Please read the link I provided. It explains why even small panels NEED controllers. To avoid frying your expensive batteries.

Please, please, please.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Stu is correct. If the panel doesn't include a charge controller then you need to buy one separately.

Any device charging a battery needs to adjust, and eventually stop it's rate of charging, to prevent destroying the battery. Panels alone, don't have that function, but some "kits" include a controller to do it.

My Coleman unit has a simple controller included. I plan on upgrading it to a better one.