Any one Bahamas bound ?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.....Dont follow a GPS 'rhumb line' to West End, but (for an average 5kt boat speed) ADD about 15° 'magnetic' to your compass heading to compensate for the Gulf Stream. This will keep your boat more or less at 90° to the velocity of the Gulf Stream and at 'normal' speeds. This will automatically cause a soft "S" course to be sailed/motored and will save a LOT of time in comparison when 'bucking' the GS...
Great advice. Here is also a link that also shows what you are talking about and how you can stall out trying to follow 'a GPS 'rhumb line'....

http://capkool.tripod.com/rhumb.html

Which I might of tried doing :redface:,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Last year, I hit bottom (again) going inbound (6ft.) at a normal low tide, and definitely had a good visual on the bottom. Coming out several months later I only had 1-2ft. at mid tide.

Two years prior, I hit bottom at a normal low tide.... then a 7ft depth boat got full 'stuck' using the explorer chart waypoint mark ... but he was quite ill at the time and may have drifted slightly from the 'explorer chart' route that just about everyone is now using.

All of my passes were during mild winds, so I doubt any wind effects.

I know of several other boats who didnt used to but now occasionally 'bump' at the edge of the Little banks on the Memory Rock route, all @ 6 ft. draft.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I did the Indian Rock Passage just north of West End last year about 2 hrs after high tide. We followed the Explorer waypoints. We saw just over 5 ft in a few places the rest was all 6 or more. We draw 5 ft and never touched. We came back through Memory Rock lots of water for us and less stress.
Bob

May 16, 2007
IF, you were interested in leaving from FtLauderdale, you should check out lake silvia, near Bahia mar on active captain.

fwiw, a good abaco forum: http://abacoforum.com/
Thanks MrBill, I remember you well from my Mac days. I owned Watermark, you provided lots of good advice for our Keys trips.

We have stayed in Lake Syvia but the police try to move you along after one night. Is that still the case ?

Fair winds, Bob

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thanks MrBill, I remember you well from my Mac days. I owned Watermark, you provided lots of good advice for our Keys trips.

We have stayed in Lake Syvia but the police try to move you along after one night. Is that still the case ?

Fair winds, Bob
Bob, you can still anchor without problems in Sunrise Lake just North of Sunrise Blvd bridge. I was there on Jan 21. Five other boats in the anchorage. 7 feet of water. Only 3 bridges from Port Everglades inlet (Sunrise, Las Olas, & SE 17th Avenue). There are on a schedule so you can time yourself. Have a nice trip. Claude

May 16, 2007
Thanks Claude, we know Sunset Lake well, have anchored there for a week. There is one home owner that has some issues with boats in there, we ignored him. Easy walk to Lincoln St., Publix, easy dinghy landing. We probably won't go that far south this year. We will cross from Palm Beach Inlet.
Bob

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl

Fair winds, Bob
Hi Bob, I remember you and watermark well!

I don't know, only been there for afternoon bbq, raftups after races...

legally they can't do much... but they can be a PITA. I do know some of the club has over nighted

Oh, another alternative is South (from Port everglades) on the ICW to 'North lake' in hollywood. I know plenty of boats that stay (unattended) for a week or so.

this image shows boats anchored(club is in left corner 2 ramps)
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.016248,-80.1201791,411m/data=!3m1!1e3

plenty of good restaurants close, publix is not that close (cab or uber). (hollywood circle)

-that is also right in front of Gulfstream sailing club. (this saturday 11am sunfish races for $15.) there is also a dingy dock near the boat ramp, or the hollywood marina.

-Oh mon, I wish I was go go going ! ;)

http://www.othershoreclub.com/mp3/letsgo-go.mp3

-edit, the only problem with the sunrise lake location is it the end of the no wake zone. sometimes you'll get waked.... hollwood and lake siliva are both in no wake zones.

peanut island is probably a better anchorage, if you can to run south a bit out of the inlet for west end.

BJV

Jun 8, 2004
Island Trader 41 foot Ketch, CC Arnold
Why stop in West End?
Night xing, enter banks, anchor off Great Sale
Next day anchor off Green Turtle and Check in there.

May 16, 2007
Why stop in West End?
Night xing, enter banks, anchor off Great Sale
Next day anchor off Green Turtle and Check in there.
We have a dog. He won't go on the boat so try to get him ashore twice a day when moving. Otherwise I would keep going to a Great Sale, anchor out without going ashore then checkin at Green Turtle.

Bob

Attachments

May 16, 2007
Hi Bob, I remember you and watermark well!

I don't know, only been there for afternoon bbq, raftups after races...

legally they can't do much... but they can be a PITA. I do know some of the club has over nighted

Oh, another alternative is South (from Port everglades) on the ICW to 'North lake' in hollywood. I know plenty of boats that stay (unattended) for a week or so.

this image shows boats anchored(club is in left corner 2 ramps)
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.016248,-80.1201791,411m/data=!3m1!1e3

plenty of good restaurants close, publix is not that close (cab or uber). (hollywood circle)

-that is also right in front of Gulfstream sailing club. (this saturday 11am sunfish races for $15.) there is also a dingy dock near the boat ramp, or the hollywood marina.

-Oh mon, I wish I was go go going ! ;)

http://www.othershoreclub.com/mp3/letsgo-go.mp3

-edit, the only problem with the sunrise lake location is it the end of the no wake zone. sometimes you'll get waked.... hollwood and lake siliva are both in no wake zones.

peanut island is probably a better anchorage, if you can to run south a bit out of the inlet for west end.
Thanks ! Can't beat local knowledge !

Bob

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thanks Claude, we know Sunset Lake well, have anchored there for a week. There is one home owner that has some issues with boats in there, we ignored him. Easy walk to Lincoln St., Publix, easy dinghy landing. We probably won't go that far south this year. We will cross from Palm Beach Inlet.
Bob
Understand you're crossing from Lake Worth. FYI Lake Sunset with the nasty owner is near Miami, maybe Miami Beach. There is a by-law that allows 7 days anchoring in there, but that nasty owner calls the police and complains as soon as one drops anchor. I was visited by the police and they nicely told me they knew who he was and to ignore him. They had to have me sign a paper stating I knew about the 7-day stay but they also told me if I needed more time because of problems or bad weather to call them and they would gladly give me an extension. It was not needed but good to know. Sunrise Lake is in Fort Lauderdale and there is also good access to shore for your killer dog :D!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I think Bob meant Sunrise lake.
just north of sunrise blvd on the icw, just accross from Birch state park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1441515,-80.1113026,16z?hl=en

There are plenty of spots south of Hallandale blvd to anchor out.. near 79st off the ICW. just watch your depth. But you have to exit out of port everglades. (or miami) since Haulover inlet has a fixed bridge. around 30' VC IIRC.

So, Where's Bob now?

May 16, 2007
I think Bob meant Sunrise lake.
just north of sunrise blvd on the icw, just accross from Birch state park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1441515,-80.1113026,16z?hl=en

There are plenty of spots south of Hallandale blvd to anchor out.. near 79st off the ICW. just watch your depth. But you have to exit out of port everglades. (or miami) since Haulover inlet has a fixed bridge. around 30' VC IIRC.

So, Where's Bob now?
We are in the Abbaco's heading to Marsh Harbour with a leaking raw water pump ! It does not look like they have a pump or seals in Marsh for our Yanmar. I may get a friend to pick one up in Ft Lauderdale when they fly in to sail with us in a couple of weeks. Until then we are limping along and bailing the sump under the engine out after each day's run.

Bob

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
May 16, 2007
Bob good to hear you made it across, sorry about the pump problems but sounds like you have a plan. I'm in the water but probably 12-15 days from trying to cross if I still do that. Still planning on it though. Will be south of you when over there. Stay in touch as who knows where I will end up,

Sumner
/QUOTE]

Hey Sum, great news, I'm so glad for you. Please keep in touch. I think I owe you a sundowner or two ! It would be great to see you.
Take care, fair winds, enjoy, Bob, Sherry & Charles