Any one Bahamas bound ?

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We are finishing our provisioning tomorrow. Going over the last minute checks this week. We hope to cross the Gulf Stream in the next weather window. It may be a wait, seems to be front after front coming through. We will move down to Lake Worth and cross from Palm Beach inlet to West End then across the top of the Abbaco's to Marsh Harbour. Looking to sail the Sea of Abaco until end of April. If any of you will be around look us up !

Bob, Sherry & Charles

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I don't know if you have done the crossing before but your departure point seems to be a little far to the north for a speedy crossing. We usually leave from Ft. Lauderdale or even Miami just to ride the current up at its strongest point. We usually take from 10-12 hours and leave in the early evening to make our approach in daylight. Yes wait until the fronts pass by and be ready sail at the first hint of a sustainable window.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i was reading the rates at the west end advertizing on line and just wondering if most dock at the resort or anchor out to avoid the fees associated with the resort...from what i can determine it gets a little strong on the pocketbook if you go there ...from the looks of it one could pay for a new anchor and rode by anchoring out looks like a 30 ft and under boat is there lowest pricing and everything is separate rather than all included ei. water,pump out, electric and dockage ...looks like to me one better do a lot of research in the finical department as they only take cash

May 16, 2007
You are correct we would save some time going further south but that takes time too. The anchorage beside Peanut Island is great. Waiting in Ft Lauderdale for a weather window without an anchorage would put us into a Marina, even a mooring ball there is $45 a night last report on Active Captain.

We crossed from here last year and did it in 9 hrs. We crossed at night, had breakfast in West End and continued on to Sail Cay to anchor out.

If weather windows were bigger and more predictable we would probably go to Lauderdale, say if we were crossing in June. At this time of year there is a front almost every week.

We are looking for a two day window. We don't want to be caught in West End after crossing. They are very expensive, in addition to the slip fee, there is a resort fee, water fee and rental of a special electrical adaptor needed to connect to their special power plugs.

Bob

Bob

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
You are correct we would save some time going further south but that takes time too. The anchorage beside Peanut Island is great. Waiting in Ft Lauderdale for a weather window without an anchorage would put us into a Marina, even a mooring ball there is $45 a night last report on Active Captain.

We crossed from here last year and did it in 9 hrs. We crossed at night, had breakfast in West End and continued on to Sail Cay to anchor out.

If weather windows were bigger and more predictable we would probably go to Lauderdale, say if we were crossing in June. At this time of year there is a front almost every week.

We are looking for a two day window. We don't want to be caught in West End after crossing. They are very expensive, in addition to the slip fee, there is a resort fee, water fee and rental of a special electrical adaptor needed to connect to their special power plugs.

Bob

Bob
so i take it that its not that way all over the island looks like they have the any ol port in a storm or the only place in town mentality when it comes to pricing

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The guy in the boat next to me in the yard here just off Charlotte Harbor has gone a couple times across the state on the ICW and anchored in Lake Worth for the night and then gone out and crossed to West End. He will be doing it again very soon. He checks in there and then like Bob goes around to the anchorage and then continues east from there.

Bob you guys have a great trip. I'm trying to get the Mac in the water very soon and will head south to the Keys and then possibly over there but south of where you will be. I just received the Explorer Charts and also the paper and digital NV charts that will work with OpenCPN so I'm putting myself in a corner where I need to go since I have 'investment' in it now. If I go it will be mid-March and probably return mid-May,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

May 16, 2007
so i take it that its not that way all over the island looks like they have the any ol port in a storm or the only place in town mentality when it comes to pricing
Woody, yes they are the only game in town. They raise the prices on weekends. Holding not good outside so most pay or try to keep moving. We have not had the same experience at other marinas in the Bahamas. We can often get a slip for a $1 per ft for the night or $0.65 a foot if you stay for a month, plus metered electricity, water is either metered or $50 for the month.

We are paying $675 per month for a 35 ft boat, all in here in Florida.

They just implemented a 7% sales tax in the Bahamas and they often charge 5% if you use a credit card.

Bob

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Woody, yes they are the only game in town. They raise the prices on weekends. Holding not good outside so most pay or try to keep moving. We have not had the same experience at other marinas in the Bahamas. We can often get a slip for a $1 per ft for the night or $0.65 a foot if you stay for a month, plus metered electricity, water is either metered or $50 for the month.

We are paying $675 per month for a 35 ft boat, all in here in Florida.

They just implemented a 7% sales tax in the Bahamas and they often charge 5% if you use a credit card.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the reply that is reassuring that its not that way all over the island...... that place i read about and there rates were like take prisoners at all cost

May 16, 2007
The guy in the boat next to me in the yard here just off Charlotte Harbor has gone a couple times across the state on the ICW and anchored in Lake Worth for the night and then gone out and crossed to West End. He will be doing it again very soon. He checks in there and then like Bob goes around to the anchorage and then continues east from there.

Bob you guys have a great trip. I'm trying to get the Mac in the water very soon and will head south to the Keys and then possibly over there but south of where you will be. I just received the Explorer Charts and also the paper and digital NV charts that will work with OpenCPN so I'm putting myself in a corner where I need to go since I have 'investment' in it now. If I go it will be mid-March and probably return mid-May,

Sumner
Good to hear from you Sum. The Explorer charts are the way to go. I also use the Garmin app on the iPad. I was told their charts are based on the Explorer charts. I like it better than the Navionics charts on our Raymarine MFD. The currents in some cuts can be a real danger, try for slack tide if you can.
I had hoped our wakes would cross this year, maybe next I hope. I think it is best to either cross early or cross late. We should have been across in Nov. but for many reasons it was delayed. We are rethinking our cruising dates and wondering about going later in the season and coming back later. Trying to cross at this time is the worst.
We wish you a safe cruise, keep us in the loop who knows what can happen. We are committed to the Abbaco's as meeting up with two groups of friends that are coming down from Canada.
If we are still in FL when you cross back I'll try and meet up with you for lunch or dinner, our treat !

Fair winds, Bob

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Our friends in Key West are waiting with several others to do the same. Must look like a jail break when the window opens!

All U Get

Dec 4, 2005
1984 Hunter 31 Geneva Ohio
I am presently in Marsh Harbour on our 1984 Hunter 31 and have done the trip many times from Lake Worth inlet, including this year. Traveling all the way down to Lauderdale to cross will give you a boost from the current, but the difference between there and Lauderdale is not that great. We cross over from Lake Worth, enter the banks north of Memory Rock and continue on to Great Sale Cay where anchor and rest up. Then we continue on to Spanish Cay where we check in with Customs and Immigration. Active Captain is a great planning tool to get information and other cruisers reviews of places to go and stay. The explorer charts are the gold standard for charts of the Bahamian waters and Garmin uses them in their chart plotters. Also agree with what You said says about prices.

Dec 4, 2005
Bob, if you are in Marsh Harbour we are usually based in Marsh Harbour Marina and Jibroom, look us up.

May 16, 2007
Bob, if you are in Marsh Harbour we are usually based in Marsh Harbour Marina and Jibroom, look us up.
Will do ! Looking forward to meeting you. Maybe do steak night together ?
Please tell Jason that Casey Dee and Windsong II are coming over and want to hear the One-One song on the VHF when we call in !

CU soon I hope, Bob

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The marina at West End is in a high end resort. It comes with amenities at a price. It has a port of entry office and car rental facility. Entering the Bank nearby can be a challenge in foul weather. Many enter WE just to make entry and refuel but it can tack a couple of hours unto an already long crossing.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
If going towards West End on a short weather window, I would suggest to make a reservation at Old Bahama Bay Marina for a 'just in case', as if the weather turns 'early' OBB can be mobbed/full and there is no 'good' anchoring anywhere nearby within several hours: Mangrove Cay, etc. on the Little Banks.

The Memory Rock entrance to the Little Banks has shallowed out in recent years ... dont enter there with a strong NW'er blowing and at a low tide. Use the tidal data from http://barometerbob.org and make your time corrections for your entrance.

Dec 4, 2005
Bob, tell CaseyDee that Lee Ann is also here, we hope to meet up with you and Mike when you get a chance to cross.

May 16, 2007
If going towards West End on a short weather window, I would suggest to make a reservation at Old Bahama Bay Marina for a 'just in case', as if the weather turns 'early' OBB can be mobbed/full and there is no 'good' anchoring anywhere nearby within several hours: Mangrove Cay, etc. on the Little Banks.

The Memory Rock entrance to the Little Banks has shallowed out in recent years ... dont enter there with a strong NW'er blowing and at a low tide. Use the tidal data from http://barometerbob.org and make your time corrections for your entrance.
Thanks Rich, we always appreciate the voice of experience. Will keep this in mind in our planning.

Bob

May 16, 2007
OK, will do, our best to Lee Ann, we are looking forward to sharing a Bilge Burner with them ! ;) and getting caught up. Lee Ann took the photograph we are using as our avatar, one of our favs.

Bob

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
FWIW --- if this is your first time across the Gulf Stream .... from Palm Beach - follow parallel to the surf *south* and well inside the 'west wall' of the Gulf Stream (you'll be in south flowing counter-current') from the PB inlet for 'about an hour', then turn east to cross the GS.
Dont follow a GPS 'rhumb line' to West End, but (for an average 5kt boat speed) ADD about 15° 'magnetic' to your compass heading to compensate for the Gulf Stream. This will keep your boat more or less at 90° to the velocity of the Gulf Stream and at 'normal' speeds. This will automatically cause a soft "S" course to be sailed/motored and will save a LOT of time in comparison when 'bucking' the GS.

If you 'buck' the gulf stream, even slightly, your crossing time will be a LOT longer.
The axis of the GS is nearer to FL than the Bahamas ... and the current will lose it speed (and your drift) the closer you get to West End ... BUT this is another current (out of the Northwest New Providence Channel) that sometimes can 'rip' depending on the strength of the trade winds ... it runs close to the southern and western coast of Grand Bahama Island ... just a kt. or two at max. ... quite close to the shore of Grand Bahama (~200 ft. depth) the current will be 'low' in case you need.
DO NOT follow a GPS rhumb line to WEST END (waypoint) if at all possible.

If you dont have them, obtain the Explorer Chart Book (Near Bahamas) for depths and courses in the Abacos. The newer Garmin chartplotters have the 'explorer data and waypoints' already included.
The Explorer chart books all have additional advice on crossing the Gulf Stream.

You will LOVE the Bahamas, especially the people. DO NOT miss Hopetown !!!!!!!
Bon Voyage

May 16, 2007
Very good advice. That was the way we crossed last season, turning south out of the inlet to catch a counter current then turning after an hour and heading across. I tried to have the water speed and SOG the same to be 90* to the stream after the turn.

We actually arrived too early and had to wait to get in to clear.

Thanks for the tips, Bob

Attachments