Any known concerns with this specific motor?

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Well this is interesting - I clicked the link to that Tohatsu and it was in-stock, even though I didn't get an email saying so. So I've placed the order. I'll feel a lot safer with that starting out, but will probably plan to get the Evinrude in working order for a dingy.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Wrong 2 stroke, will charge battery, tohatsu has a voltage regulator built in.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Yeah...new impeller...I missed that.

You might get the Tohatsu, and end up putting that on the dinghy after you see how it runs. No way it's as smooth as a 2 stroke twin. By the way, what's the HP rating on your Evinrude?

Sep 14, 2014
In order to verify the battery is being charged you have to check at the battery posts while engine is running, not the output leads from the motor, because the voltage regulator only puts out voltage needed to charge battery to normal from what it is currently providing, also you must have about 1/4 throttle speed to effectively charge as well.

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Okay that’s good to know. I just had a multimeter on the wires coming out of the motor. I’m glad I have another new motor on the way.

Sep 14, 2014
apparently all voltage regulated alternators can only be measured under load, ie at battery

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I'm not in a rush to buy a motor, but I am concerned about items being in stock.

Here are some pics of my Evinrude that came with my boat. Dated the model number to 1985. :D I haven't tried to start it up yet, but hoping to this weekend
Congrats on the 22, great boat!
Your Evinrude is exactly the same engine I had on my 22 and it seemed bullet-proof.
Why fix it if it's not broke?

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
I have a 1982 Catalina 22 with that exact Evinrude since 2013. It has run well up until recently when it's developed cold start problems due to a weak coil (it will start with a spray of starter fluid). The water intake is on the underside of the plate as LakeShark says so muffs won't work - put it in a trash can. You can get most all parts from marineengine.com. Check the oil in the lower unit frequently. The seal around my prop shaft leaked the oil out and the forward bearing seized. New bearing and seals got it running again.

• Helpful
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Okay, so next question is where do you guys recommend getting parts for an old evinrude like this?
Crowley Marine has an excellent website where you can pull up a parts manual and click on the part for info and price. There's plenty of new, used and old stock on ebay and amazon if you can't find something.

Seeing as my '77 OMC Saildrive and my '96 Yachtwin both have the CD2 electronic ignition (i really wish I had known that when the ouboard wouldnt start!) I'm guessing that yours also has it as well. These modules, while they usually last decades, can die without warning. My motor ran great when I left the marina but when I wanted to come back in refused to start due to no spark. It took 2.5 hours to sail a mile back to my slip but I did it with almost no wind and no motor. Regardless, this motor has been very reliable. Anyways, be sure to checkout Leeroy's Rambling's. He goes into a lot of detail regarding our Evinrude motors

Last edited: