Any advice regarding bottom paint

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
My 33-2 will be hauled out in the spring and her bottom will be painted with a hard paint vs the ablative paint she now has. The boat is for cruising not racing. Any suggestions regarding hard paint for best results in the waters she sails, Gulf and San Juan Islands. Home port in Sidney BC.
thanks
Dale

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Not sure if you are aware that you will have to remove the ablative paint before covering with hard paint, the ablative will eventually fall off and take the hard paint with it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Why do you want a hard paint? Putting hard paint over an ablative requires removal of the ablative. If you don't race, it seems the ablative will be fine.
dmax beat me to the point. But I'll second his post.

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Not sure if you are aware that you will have to remove the ablative paint before covering with hard paint, the ablative will eventually fall off and take the hard paint with it.
Right, it all comes off at least down to the barrier coat, that too if required

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Why do you want a hard paint? Putting hard paint over an ablative requires removal of the ablative. If you don't race, it seems the ablative will be fine.
dmax beat me to the point. But I'll second his post.
Using a hard paint allows me to use the local in water scrub people to clean the bottom while in the water.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Using a hard paint allows me to use the local in water scrub people to clean the bottom while in the water.
I am sure Terry Cox will wade in here with his 4+ years between bottom paints as well as others
I have used Micron CSC (ablative) on by 33 footer since new in 2012. I don’t race . . . at least competitively but do cruise quite a bit in the same waters as you. By choice I haul and repaint every other year and never have I had to clean the bottom between haulouts. The water is just darn cold. At bit of slime but if you use your boat regularly sea life will slough off sufficently.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@Dale Haz , if I may suggest, your first step is to sit down and learn about bottom paints. Not a steep curve but you've got a long way to go. Same as ALL THE REST OF US ! ! ! !

As already suggested, a hard paint makes no sense as far as service goes and it does not work to paint hard over ablative, as already pointed out.

Right, it all comes off at least down to the barrier coat, that too if required
Do you have any idea how much work is involved to clean, prepare and apply a barrier coat to a 33 ft. hull ? I thought not. More than that, what indicators do you have that tell you your boat even has a barrier coat ? If it is there, I can only suggest you keep it if at all possible.

As mentioned, I doubt any cruisers in the PNW scrub their hulls between haul outs unless they are into racing. Take a look at these two discussion from a while back :

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
I'll have the bottom paint removed by the yard, regardless of hard or soft the existing paint is coming off, it's many layers thick cracked and flaking. The past owner just slapped the paint on, CSC I believe so either way it has to come off. I found half a can of CSC Micron on the boat so I'll assume that's on the bottom.
Appreciate your comments.
dale

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
You may want to look at Coppercoat. I haven't used it personally, so I can't say if it will meet your needs, but some claim it is the solution for a hard, multi-year bottom paint. As always, try and get an opinion from someone who is using the product in your waters.

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Thanks Jim, I am giving that some thought as I prefer to haul out every 3 years vs two while having the bottom scrubbed once as needed.
Dale

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Good information, I'll be taking a look at Blue Water products and Epaint 2000.
thanks

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
It is a wives' tale that ablative paint must be removed before overcoating with a hard paint. In some case that is true but by no means all. It's all in the preparation. Google the compatibility charts for the products you have in mind. They will tell you if the old and new paints can go over each other or not and if they can, what kind of preparation is required.

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
The ablative paint is many coats thick and cracking etc so it needs to come off regardless of what paint I go with. Prior owner had not in
Twenty five years taken it down the gel coat.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Prior owner had not in
Twenty five years taken it down the gel coat.
Certainly no need to take the bottom paint down to the gel coat. I let the velocity of the water (while under way) keep the ablative from getting too thick.

Actually, can't get the bottom coat down to the gel coat as there is a barrier coat on the gel coat. Fused to the barrier coat is the warning coat which is black as opposed to the outer coats which are blue.

Been doing this for twenty years and the hull was smooth after its last bottom painting job. Had six years to wear down the previous bottom coat.

No way the hull gel coat will ever see the light of day again unless the barrier coat fails.