Annual Costs for Club Racer

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Sigh! I guess I need to remind you guys about truth in life.

If it flies, floats or fornicates you really should rent it; it is cheaper in the long run.

I really don't add up what it costs me, I am just thankful I can afford to do it. For the record I do like beer and margaritas, and have never bought a plane.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Yes. Here is SF Bay we run a bit higher. I know what it costs and I know what it's worth to me. The happiness/dollar index is high for sailing. I spend less money on my yard but by happiness/dollar index is much lower for that.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I think you mis-typed some of those numbers. Renewal for my floating dock, with loyal customer discount, was 4800. Plus 150 for electric service. Winter haul/storage/launch is 1300.00. This year, a mooring at the town harbor is 2200, plus 1300 for outdoor winter storage. And that is on the "small boat" moorings (28' and under).

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Thinking the different locations likely have some bearing on dockage fees as well. We have a season of 4 1/2 month long season, after that your boat must be pulled as the docks come out before the freeze over.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw , race fees for our club are $25/yr. The rest are for away regattas. One of the perks of racing on Lake Erie.. Lots of weekend racing.
Yea different dynamics for sure. WYC host over 60 races a year, every Thursday, Saturday snd Sunday at a minimum. We can go off-lake, and lots of the OD boats do for sure. BlueJs a bit too big to move around, so I just go sail with friends.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think you mis-typed some of those numbers. Renewal for my floating dock, with loyal customer discount, was 4800. Plus 150 for electric service. Winter haul/storage/launch is 1300.00. This year, a mooring at the town harbor is 2200, plus 1300 for outdoor winter storage. And that is on the "small boat" moorings (28' and under).
It's the real estate, location, location, location. Atlantic Highlands is in the NY metro area, prices for everything are going to be much higher. There are probably about a 1 million people located within an hours drive from my marina, there is plenty of supply and little demand for a slip.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Wow, Lillia those are crazy numbers for dockage. Pic of my club. Indoor heated storage is not as bad as it seems. No more 100 mile round trips to check on the boat when winter storms hit. Also no more worries that engine is winterized (I still do it). Easy to work on boat in the wintertime. Easy to get boat ready in the spring.
04.jpg

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
And we same nobodies are also not going to bring up opportunity cost! :eek:
There's never been a feeling of "should be doing something else." When feeling the rudder hum at my fingertips and my son on leeward asking if he should sit with us on windward.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There's never been a feeling of "should be doing something else.
Except when the something else is sailing and not cutting the lawn, sitting in the office at a boring meeting, and many other things.

Nov 8, 2010
Wow, Lillia those are crazy numbers for dockage. Pic of my club. Indoor heated storage is not as bad as it seems. No more 100 mile round trips to check on the boat when winter storms hit. Also no more worries that engine is winterized (I still do it). Easy to work on boat in the wintertime. Easy to get boat ready in the sprinG]
Same here. I went from tarped outdoor to fitted cover outdoor to cold indoor to heated indoor. Each step was better and most costly, but heated indoor totally rocks..

Nov 8, 2010
On Lake Minnetonka the going rate is $200/foot. That’s what places charge, and WYC charges if you don’t race. If you race at least 15 races a year, your rate gets cut in half. It s a great deal.

Half of our PHRF 2 (non spin) are not hard core racers, but come out for the Saturday (around the island distance) races. Much less action than the W/L races other days, and they get their 15.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have been lead to believe that living aboard is one of the less expensive ways to go. I haven't done any kind of real comparison, though. I would love to know how life aboard compared to house ownership or apartment life.
I would compare, for the sake of getting close to similar living comfort, something in the neighborhood of a 45' boat.
Any thoughts or experiences?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I just did my taxes and my wife showed me the annual costs for our 30 foot J/92.
My wife loves me too much to do that to me--unless of course, I wished to know! But I can at least tell you that a 40-ft slip here in ABM in Long Beach, CA is $8,400/yr, thereabouts:mad:.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
No one has yet mentioned the cost of hiring diver to clean the bottom and change the anodes. It's too cold in San Francico Bay for me to do that myself. I've had the same diver for 20 years and he's worth every penny I pay him

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Yep we’re right there with you in Dana Point... $6400 a year for a Cat 30.and yeah the bottom cleaning .... but it is all so worth it!