And so it begins

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Joe,

I trust that you're simply ending this thread and not terminating your contributions to the forum! Or perhaps you're taking a sabbatical to focus on converting this thread to a book or a series of magazine articles chronicling your experiences in the restoration process.

Your experience, knowledge and enthusiasm are needed.
I second that!

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Ahoy there! Stopped by to let everyone know how things are going with YOT in her 3rd season. The little rascal continues to amaze me with the performance and durability of all the repairs. It likes to go and it is great fun when we sail by boats that are state of the art. Finally had a chance to scoot across the pond and see Canada. I really need to get a Passport. With an average speed of 6 knots it was a brief crossing. We were often registering 10 knots on the GPS which was thrilling and several captures on speed were well in excess of 7K. Joining Meetup.com has yielded several willing participants many of whom have never sailed. Strangely they came from an adventure group and not sailing groups. I have passed the info to several others as a few at the park didn't launch for lack of people to sail with. Share the wealth I always say. So it continues to be a great lot of fun not only for me going sailing but sharing the joy with others.:)

Attachments

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Here are some additional photos from the Lake Ontario 300 I found myself in the middle of on one evening sail. I wondered why the Spanish Armada was bearing down on me. It was quite a sight and it was an easy task to thread my way through them deciding asserting right of way was not going to take a significant portion of my life to yield and not disturb their wind. I sent them their pictures and they promptly posted them to their facebook page with many thanks. I still subscribe to the sailing is supposed to be fun first.;)

Attachments

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Ya think? Pretty bad when the skipper was the only one without one. At least the Canadians are polite. Here in the U.S. I would be flogged, beaten and thrown in a dungeon I imagine. Good to hear from you Scott as well.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Guess what YOT spelled backwards means?
Jim...

PS: I am sipping too much beer today.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Extremely informative blog and enjoyed reading the entire post. Good Old Boat should have picked this up. Great decision to do this with the cost of boats today. Most people look at it as a hole in the water, but if you love sailing it's not. It is indeed a NEW boat!

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thank you MT. I enjoyed chronicling my triumphs and tribulations. At 1/3 the cost of a new boat I have both the satisfaction and all the joy of sailing again. It is especially nice to know exactly how everything goes together and where everything is. Best part is there aren't any bank loans and it has never been a financial burden to dock, store for the winter or afford the invariable little things that always seem to come up. Once ahead of them financially it is easy to afford and much more enjoyable.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hi Jibes. The mast. boom and spreaders are still looking like the day they came back. No nicks, chipping or peeling. I am quite pleased I went with this option even though it was about the same cost as having it professionally painted.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Joe should publish it as a how to book and sell it. Like the how to stop odors book or the sail trim book. I told Roger Long he should do the same with his tales of ICW voyages. Roger ignored me, let's see if Joe pursues this, I will buy a copy for sure. Just the info on the gel coat pattern is worth the book price.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Now ya want a book too? Do you realize this would seriously encroach on my sailing time. Bad enough I have to work which is a real nuisance when I see a gorgeous day to be out on YOT. Then again I'll be frozen solid in a few months so a book or booklet could happen. Oh that reminds me, has anyone been to a marina in the dead of winter when snow is on the ground and no one is around. Seeing all the boats tucked under their covers with nothing but solitude and silence is quite an experience.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I think you can publish a book on Amazon for free. The book could potentially offset some of that pesky word responsibility.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hmmm, Ya got me thinkin'. That is always a recipe for the outlandish. "The cheapskates guide to sailboat ownership; or how I went sailing again without drowning in debt."