Anchorage magnet...

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Just so funny (or not).... happened twice so far on this trip. Wide open anchorage and what happens...... 75 feet away.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I was the only boat anchored in Cook's Bay Moorea when another American boat came in and just about anchored on my anchor. After 5000 miles of sailing, I guess he was lonely. I didn't say a word. He moved about twenty minutes later, just before hitting me.
cooks bay moorea.jpg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Well, it's kind of devilish but when I see a boat that looks like it's going to anchor near me when the field is empty, I start my Honda 2000 watt generator up.
Problem solved.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Check here for some really wild ideas on how to prevent such magnetic attractions.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Herd mentality.
The anchorage must be “there”... If another boat anchored there it must be an ok place.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
True and too common.

But I think you need to calibrate your distance measurement. That's more like 200 feet and is at least safe.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Whenever a boat was looking to anchor to close, I used to put out all my fenders. They usually got the message.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
She told me to go check the anchor in the buff while they were pulling in....... though that could have gone terribly wrong.

C'mon, what could possibly go wrong :biggrin:?

Now that you've included a picture, it all makes sense. It's a powerboat and they just don't have a clue. Do you ever wonder who ties their shoes first thing in the morning ?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
An associated symptom of anchor close is..."I tried here and it didn't work, so I'll try again in the same place...." How many times have we been anchored securely in an anchorage and a boat comes along and attempts to anchor close aboard, and he ends up too close to us or too close to someone else. But then he recovers and tries to do exactly the same thing in the same place, rather than go off to find a better location. Maddening.....

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Appears to me that your boat was much heavier than theirs and you tipped the whole anchorage sideways........

• Ha

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
One of the things I think is an absolute necessity for a cruising boat is a rub rail, especially one with a nice solid stainless strip on it. Let 'em anchor too close, they won't hit my topsides.
rubrail.jpg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I used to crew on a 50ft (on deck) ferro schooner. 50,000 pound displacement. We were anchored once, in a tide way. bout a 30 ,foot Catalina came and anchored maybe 25 feet off of the beam. The owners wife went on deck and old him he was too close. He informed her he was just fine. She said-'"ok. but we weight 50,000 ponds dry, are laying to a 100 foot rode and when the tide changes, we'll probably run over you'' and came back below. Watching out the ports, we saw a woman come on deck, and just give the guy verbal hell. In about 5 minutes, he hauled anchor and moved away :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Check here for some really wild ideas on how to prevent such magnetic attractions.

Or a banjo:dancing:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One of the things I think is an absolute necessity for a cruising boat is a rub rail, especially one with a nice solid stainless strip on it. Let 'em anchor too close, they won't hit my topsides.
Truckers use a similar strategy...

1596489669137.png

What I want to see is you bolting a few dozen of these babies on your rub rail....:biggrin: