Anchor riding sail H260?

Jun 28, 2020
Hunter 260 Lake Lewisville, TX
Has anyone cooked up an anchor riding sail for the 260 or really any other boat without a backstay?

BTW thanks to everyone that posts on the forums. I'm new to sailing and my H260. The knowledge shared here has been invaluable.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

You might find these threads on the same subject helpful. The first thread a Hunter 260 owner discusses his anchor riding sail set up.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is the question theoretical or have you had issues with your boat sailing at anchor ?

I have spent many nights on the hook on my H26 (same hull design as the 260) and have never had an issue.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Two thoughts:
- FinDelta riding sail is GREAT. Pricey, but I think worth every penny. They make different sized ones for different sized boats. FinDelta #1 Anchor Riding Sail for Boats to 32 Feet (bannerbaymarine.com) . Really tames my Hunter 36. A friend borrowed mine to go south on the ICW on his H41DS and sent me a check rather than returning it to me.

- Practical Sailor article on riding sails worth reading: Rest Easy with a Riding Sail - Practical Sailor (practical-sailor.com)

Good luck!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my H356 I used the topping lift to attach a riding sail to. The forward end was tied to the mast, I think. I found it to dampen the force with which the boat "Snapped up" but not the amplitude of yawing - which was a solid 90 degrees.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Lots of "modern" boat designs, probably thru having significant freeboard, will sail back n forth at anchor. We added an "anchor sail" that is flown low on our backstay, and 'sheeted' straight up to the centered boom, about 15 years ago. The boat hardly moves at all -- it's like the fletching on an arrow.

If you have a boat without a BS, you can always bring the spinnaker halyard around the mast and use that to hoist this small piece of sail - not much force on it.
This little 'anchor' or 'riding' sail takes up little room, rolled up in its fabric storage tube, and takes the stress out of anchoring out.
You can even make one yourself.... Anchor Riding Sail Kit (12.5 sq. ft.) - Sailrite
For a small boat, you could reduce the square footage, I would imagine. (?)