Anchor locker leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2006
- - Yorktown,VA
Same problem on H34

Jim, I'm having the same problem on my '83 Hunter 34. I have found my problem to be a bad sealing of an edge out of reach under the step plate in the anchor locker. I worked for two hours trying to unbolt the plate with the help of a friend. Couldnt reach the back nuts on the bolts. I'm going to cut the bolts off next weekend with a demmell, so I can get the step off. I was able to spot the leak with water hose on and looking thru the inspection port in the found of the V-berth. Good luck with your leak. Steve

Mar 20, 2006
- - Yorktown,VA
Same problem on H34

Jim, I'm having the same problem on my '83 Hunter 34. I have found my problem to be a bad sealing of an edge out of reach under the step plate in the anchor locker. I worked for two hours trying to unbolt the plate with the help of a friend. Couldnt reach the back nuts on the bolts. I'm going to cut the bolts off next weekend with a demmell, so I can get the step off. I was able to spot the leak with water hose on and looking thru the inspection port in the found of the V-berth. Good luck with your leak. Steve

D

Daryl

One of many leaks

was where the wire for the bow light entered the deck

D

Daryl

One of many leaks

was where the wire for the bow light entered the deck

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
If It's Salt Water...

...look for other problems. It it's fresh, the inside of the anchor locker is a glassed-in insert. You may have developed some hairline cracks where the insert is glassed-in. Mine did and I sealed the hair-line cracks with a sealer. No more water! Good Luck!

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
If It's Salt Water...

...look for other problems. It it's fresh, the inside of the anchor locker is a glassed-in insert. You may have developed some hairline cracks where the insert is glassed-in. Mine did and I sealed the hair-line cracks with a sealer. No more water! Good Luck!

Jul 1, 2007
hunter 29.5 Nanaimo BC
leak

The leaking on my boat turned out to be the forward hatch.The water was running down above the inner headliner and dripping into the v-berth. It appeared to be from the anchor locker as well. We took out the hatch, rebedded it and have not had a leak since. Keep the water outside. Good luck.

Jul 1, 2007
hunter 29.5 Nanaimo BC
leak

The leaking on my boat turned out to be the forward hatch.The water was running down above the inner headliner and dripping into the v-berth. It appeared to be from the anchor locker as well. We took out the hatch, rebedded it and have not had a leak since. Keep the water outside. Good luck.

Ketoj

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 34 Whitby Ontario Canada
Rebedding the forward hatch on the H34

Any good lessons learned on removing and rebedding this large v-berth hatch?

Ketoj

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 34 Whitby Ontario Canada
Rebedding the forward hatch on the H34

Any good lessons learned on removing and rebedding this large v-berth hatch?

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
I've re-bedded the Vee berth hatch.

On my boat, Hunter joined the inner liner with the deck at the hatch seam. It can't leak. Except maybe for the hatch screws and they're bedded. My boat's an '86.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
I've re-bedded the Vee berth hatch.

On my boat, Hunter joined the inner liner with the deck at the hatch seam. It can't leak. Except maybe for the hatch screws and they're bedded. My boat's an '86.

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Impossible to see

I spent today looking for a leak. It is very difficult to inspect the anchor locker. I went in the v berth and found a slight drip in the port bow up front. There is no way to see up next to the carpet and forward because you bump into the aft locker glass. I ran a bead of caulk on the deck both sides along the edge of the metal where it connects to the glass. Wait and see next? Arugh! Jim

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Impossible to see

I spent today looking for a leak. It is very difficult to inspect the anchor locker. I went in the v berth and found a slight drip in the port bow up front. There is no way to see up next to the carpet and forward because you bump into the aft locker glass. I ran a bead of caulk on the deck both sides along the edge of the metal where it connects to the glass. Wait and see next? Arugh! Jim

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
fixing the leak? spoting a gas gauge in the link pics

Fred I visited your link and I see a diesel gas gauge installed. Can you send an email on what brand sending unit etc. Did you buy a new tank or how did you cut a hole in the original one? I can not live without a gas gauge. It is a personal preference. Thanks still working on the bow leak. My bow seems to be the same as yours in appearance. My email at home is Dellav7@kuhncom.net by the way a great site and nice job on the boat. Jim

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
fixing the leak? spoting a gas gauge in the link pics

Fred I visited your link and I see a diesel gas gauge installed. Can you send an email on what brand sending unit etc. Did you buy a new tank or how did you cut a hole in the original one? I can not live without a gas gauge. It is a personal preference. Thanks still working on the bow leak. My bow seems to be the same as yours in appearance. My email at home is Dellav7@kuhncom.net by the way a great site and nice job on the boat. Jim

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Jim, I'll post here.

It's your thread so we're not stepping on someone by changing the subject.:) Because I have two diesel tanks (stern water tank converted to fuel) and one fuel guage, I choose components from one manufacturer. And that's the product that West Marine carries 'on the shelf'. Can't recall the name but it should be in stock at their stores and on-line of course. When I wired the guage the power is directed through a spring loaded momentary toggle switch. (on-off-on) That gives a reading for each tank and doesn't normally draw power. And thank you for the nice comments! Oh, two places to look for your locker leak on the port side; The four screws securing the lid hinges to the deck and the caulk on the bow light wire where it comes out of the pulpit and enters the deck. P.S. Forgot your tank cutting question. To position the float you'll just have to guess based upon the dimension of the guage float and the tank at a spot the insures the float won't hang and have maximum travel. But it still won't be perfect. The H34 primary fuel tank is tapered on the bottom too, so a float can only provide a relative reading. Make sense? And one other thing. My tank is labeled 25 gallons. Wrong. The most I ever got into it was 21. And that's counting the fill hose. And for cutting the hole in the top of the tank I used a saber saw. That will put debris inside the tank. That means an inspection port should also be installed at the same time. That will allow you to clean-out not only the cuttings but the old crud too. P.S.2 Jim, on my web site, at the bottom of each film strip at the left, is an email link to reach me.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Jim, I'll post here.

It's your thread so we're not stepping on someone by changing the subject.:) Because I have two diesel tanks (stern water tank converted to fuel) and one fuel guage, I choose components from one manufacturer. And that's the product that West Marine carries 'on the shelf'. Can't recall the name but it should be in stock at their stores and on-line of course. When I wired the guage the power is directed through a spring loaded momentary toggle switch. (on-off-on) That gives a reading for each tank and doesn't normally draw power. And thank you for the nice comments! Oh, two places to look for your locker leak on the port side; The four screws securing the lid hinges to the deck and the caulk on the bow light wire where it comes out of the pulpit and enters the deck. P.S. Forgot your tank cutting question. To position the float you'll just have to guess based upon the dimension of the guage float and the tank at a spot the insures the float won't hang and have maximum travel. But it still won't be perfect. The H34 primary fuel tank is tapered on the bottom too, so a float can only provide a relative reading. Make sense? And one other thing. My tank is labeled 25 gallons. Wrong. The most I ever got into it was 21. And that's counting the fill hose. And for cutting the hole in the top of the tank I used a saber saw. That will put debris inside the tank. That means an inspection port should also be installed at the same time. That will allow you to clean-out not only the cuttings but the old crud too. P.S.2 Jim, on my web site, at the bottom of each film strip at the left, is an email link to reach me.

Dec 12, 2005
Hunter 34 Lowestoft
Fuel gauge

Jim I fitted a WEMA sender and gauge. I drilled a series of 1/8 dia holes in the top of the tank to fit the sender. The plastic swarf is left on the surface as the drill goes through. Only a tiny ammount went into the tank and not enough to block the main filter. When doing it, remove the fuel pipe that goes down from the top. There was a small mesh screen at the bottom of the tube that goes down to the bottom of the tank on mine. I removed this so that any debris is collected in the filter and can easily be removed. Having to unblock this mesh inside the tank when at sea is not fun . An acess hatch in the top of the tank is a good idea though. There are some photos in the Hunter 34 Information section.

Dec 12, 2005
Hunter 34 Lowestoft
Fuel gauge

Jim I fitted a WEMA sender and gauge. I drilled a series of 1/8 dia holes in the top of the tank to fit the sender. The plastic swarf is left on the surface as the drill goes through. Only a tiny ammount went into the tank and not enough to block the main filter. When doing it, remove the fuel pipe that goes down from the top. There was a small mesh screen at the bottom of the tube that goes down to the bottom of the tank on mine. I removed this so that any debris is collected in the filter and can easily be removed. Having to unblock this mesh inside the tank when at sea is not fun . An acess hatch in the top of the tank is a good idea though. There are some photos in the Hunter 34 Information section.

Status
Not open for further replies.